TheAmazingDave

System instability after Windows 10 2004

I've been having big problems with my Malwarebytes Premium and Windows 10 2004. Chalk me up with the others that have been reporting this problem.

Computer runs fine for a while, then network connectivity drops out in web browsers (Firefox and Chrome), the browsers lock up, and various Windows components and other applications stop responding as well. I've been dealing with this for a while on my desktop system, which is a custom build. In desperation, I wiped my whole system and reinstalled Windows 10 2004 fresh last night and reinstalled all my applications, including the latest (non-beta) MWB Premium. Within hours, the problem returned.

It's a custom gaming rig that I have overclocked, and before wiping Windows last night and reinstalling, I've been tweaking my system BIOS settings and clocks thinking it had to do with overclocking instability, but I was running stock clocks last night when the problem returned immediately after clean reinstallation.

I was ready to chalk it up to a problem with Windows and my custom build, until my laptop did the SAME EXACT THING today, a day after updating it to Win 10 2004. Browsers lock up, network connectivity slows to a crawl, apps become unresponsive, and restarting Windows (without hard power cycle) takes 5-10 minutes!

My desktop is a Skylake i7-6700k in an Asus Maximus VIII Hero, using both Intel's iGPU and an Nvidia 2080T1.

My laptop is a Lenovo T470s.

Both systems are current on drivers and Windows updates.

Really hope there's a solution for this soon!

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue.  In case they might help the team to troubleshoot the issue, please provide the following logs for analysis:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Additionally, if you aren't already, you might try running the latest beta to see if it helps at all, though unfortunately I don't believe it will fix the issue, but it's certainly worth a try.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the gear icon, then enable beta updates under the General tab.  Once that is done, access the About tab and click the Check for updates link located there and allow it to install the update.  Once it completes, restart the system and test to see if the issue is still present or not and let us know.

Thanks

I'm happy to help in anyway possible as I love my MWB and have been using it for some time.

I've included two Zips, one from the desktop (which I apparently already put the beta on last night) and one from the laptop.

Both systems were operating normally when these logs were generated. If I can get the systems to cooperate, I'll generate new logs when it happens again. I'll also do some testing to see if I can reproduce the problem on demand instead of waiting for it to happen randomly.

laptop_mbst-grab-results.zip desktop_mbst-grab-results.zip

I have a question, How long after the possibly missed 2:57 am auto scan does it happen? After you wake it up in the morning? later in the day? Desktop computer only for this question.

Scheduled Scan List Settings:
    Last Triggered:        2020-06-17 02:57:16
    Original Schedule:     2020-06-17 02:57:16
    Recovery Enabled:      ON
    Recover if missed by:  -1 hours
    Occurs every:          1 days

Hi,

On the desktop system, it has the beta 4.1.1.71   MB4  with the latest Component 1.0.955

I would suggest we start by making some small tweaks,  including the Scan start time highlighted by colleague Porthos.

Change the 2 AM  to a later time in the day  so that we prevent the auto-scan from kicking in right when Windows loads up at startup.

2nd suggestion:

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that should   off.   So that the Microsoft Windows Defender is all enabled.   The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 
Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 
"Windows Security Center"
Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
Close Malwarebytes when done.

On the laptop system,  same suggestion about changing the Scheduled scan start.

If like on the other you normally power up the system at like 10:10  AM,  then set the Scan for like lunch time,  or some time at least 10 minutes past the usual WIN startup.

I set mine for the evening.

On this laptop system,  if you continue to experience issues, then a clean-reinstall is recommended for the Malwarebytes.   we can guide you on that.

We would like to know if disabling one of the 4 protections helps, Start with web protection and then if no help try ransomware protection.

As for the scans I only do manual scans when I feel like it. I have only done one all year so far.

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I have a question, How long after the possibly missed 2:57 am auto scan does it happen? After you wake it up in the morning? later in the day? Desktop computer only for this question.

My desktop runs nearly 24/7, but the displays are set to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity. I usually wake up in the morning to find it the unresponsive state and have been rebooting to restore normal operation. I have a RAID0 with SSD cache, which breaks when I hard-power cycle the system, so I'm usually forced to wait the ~10 minutes for the reboot to begin after it's initiated every morning before work. It will typically run fine all day after that with only an occasional incident where it stops responding again.

After reading some other threads though, I'll try disabling/closing MWB to see if the problem clears up without a reboot next time it happens.

23 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi,

On the desktop system, it has the beta 4.1.1.71   MB4  with the latest Component 1.0.955

I would suggest we start by making some small tweaks,  including the Scan start time highlighted by colleague Porthos.

Change the 2 AM  to a later time in the day  so that we prevent the auto-scan from kicking in right when Windows loads up at startup.

2nd suggestion:

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that should   off.   So that the Microsoft Windows Defender is all enabled.   The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 
Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 
"Windows Security Center"
Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
Close Malwarebytes when done.

As stated above, this system does not sleep/hibernate so there is no delays being caused in the start-up routine. I will attempt changing the run time on my laptop though and see what happens there.
Per your advice, I have now disabled registration with WSC.

1 minute ago, TheAmazingDave said:

I usually wake up in the morning to find it the unresponsive state and have been rebooting to restore normal operation.

For the next few days, Turn off the scheduled scans and do no scans and report back and tag me, I used to have issues until I turned off my scans. Just curiuus if it fixes the issue for you.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

For the next few days, Turn off the scheduled scans and do no scans and report back and tag me, I used to have issues until I turned off my scans. Just curiuus if it fixes the issue for you.

Done.

Just happened again on my desktop, was watching YouTube while moving files around on my system as I just added a new drive.

Started as a video stutter, then network connectivity dropped in Chrome. I was also in the middle of reconfiguring my Win10 file history backup to my NAS which is linked to the system as an iSCSI drive. Windows started becoming unresponsive. I couldn't launch the MWB GUI and killed it in Task Manager. I run Task Manager 24/7 as well as a few other system utilities, so thankfully it was open already because it probably wouldn't have launched. It remained responsive though and allowed me to kill the MWB GUI. That didn't "release" the system though. I also had to stop the Malwarebytes service from Task Manager, and the system came right back a few seconds later.

desktop_mbst-grab-results_202006172158.zip

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you