malwaremanny

Random Tabs opening in Safari - adware?

I seem to have gotten some type of adware/malware on my MacBook Pro running Catalina.

Every few minutes, random tabs will open up with what seems like gibberish URLs, or sometimes advertisements to clothing sites.  This seems to be happening even when the computer is in sleep mode, so these tabs pile up pretty quickly.

114624372_ScreenShot2020-06-15at11_37_27PM.png.c3f135e501ce0ecb56b8cc198e028a69.png

The "gibberish" ones also are a blank page that show as "insecure":

361704885_ScreenShot2020-06-15at11_41_35PM.png.63d46c21e498f2600cf538ff91e0e98b.png

I ran malware bytes but nothing came back as suspicious. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Manny

Let's start by checking Safari Preferences->Extensions to see if there is anything you don't recall installing. Probably best if you list all the extensions back here.

If you haven't yet installed an ad blocker those could have been opened by some code embedded in ads on a site you are visiting at the time. 

Then an ad blocking extension would be in order.

One other thing you can check is in System Preferences, do you see a section called "Profiles"? Most users won't have it. If you do, please list those.

I installed AdBlockMax, but still seem to be getting the popups.

I did also check System Preferences, and I do not see a section called profiles.

If you close all Safari windows & tabs entirely, and open only a single Safari window that is either blank or is an Apple site, does this continue to happen? If that stops it, it's likely to have been caused by a site loaded on one of the tabs you had open. If not, you may have something installed on your Mac that is causing the problem. In that case, I'd encourage you to file a support ticket so that we can investigate in more depth.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360002090753

Be sure to set Malwarebytes for Mac as the Product to ensure your ticket gets into the right queue. If you choose the wrong product, it will increase the amount of time waiting for an answer, as it will end up in the wrong queue before being found and moved into the correct queue.

I did a quick reboot and it seems to have stopped. I forgot I had a tab pinned, which was probably causing.. I will report back if I continue to experience any issue.

Thank you both