Malwarebytes Causing Extreme Lag / Stuttering

Throwing it out here I had this same problem--This bug started happening as soon as I had purchased upgrades for my computer so I thought for the longest time it was my hardware.  I even got an entirely different motherboard and went from AMD-->Intel.  It was a real frickin' nightmare for over a month, let me tell you.

The only thing that works is disabling web protection.  So I hope this eventually gets resolved because this was seriously one of the worst experiences of my life dealing with this computer nonsense.  A lot of weird glitching out and conflicts with NDIS.SYS and the WDF01000.sys.  I couldn't find anything, scoured reddit for the random stuttering, just could only see if was internet activity related after a period of use.  Big, big oof.

33 minutes ago, Eternis said:

The only thing that works is disabling web protection.  So I hope this eventually gets resolved

To help Malwarebytes resolve this some logs will be appreciated.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

3 hours ago, Eternis said:

The only thing that works is disabling web protection. 

+++

Obviously, this is the program problem. Various people with completely different software have these stutterings.

And it is really strange that creators don't fix this problem for so long. :(

Malwarebytes for Windows Component 1.0.9.55  was made available as a release 16 June
See https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257102-malwarebytes-41/?do=findComment&comment=1388340

If your pc has any earlier Package, it will get that  as part of automatic program update.
( Unless you have blocked automatic install updates).

You can pull the Component down by simply clicking "Check for Updates" under the General tab in Settings.
Then I would advise that you re-enable the web protection if you had it off.
Similarly, if you had turned off the ransomware protection.

I believe you will do well with this Component.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

@Eternis I see a few things.

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart. That will also correct the Pending File Rename issues as well.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Pending File Rename Operations
==================================
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_bg_precon_r02.1.0.3.x64.dll
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_bg_precon_r01.1.0.3.x64.dll
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_bg_precon_r02.1.0.3.x64.dll
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_wfm_r01.1.0.3.x64.dll
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\TrayPlugin.EXPT-58.x64.dll      

I would also do a Manuel update of Malwarebytes  after the above is done as well. You are an update behind.

Check for updates.png

I'm going to respectfully let you know that it was up for 7 days on purpose AFTER turning off the web protection to confirm that was the actual issue causing my lag.  And it was correct---absolutely no issues.

Also, fast update was off the last time I installed windows when I was trying to figure this stuff out through the entire month of May.  I can turn it off now, sure, but I promise you it made no difference.

Windows 10 '  Fast Startup is a well known pitfall  that leads to complications exactly like this.  Please turn it Off

and please do as suggested by Porthos  above   ^^^^

plus the Update to the latest release Component Package 1.0.955    will do wonders.

3 minutes ago, Eternis said:

I'm going to respectfully let you know that it was up for 7 days on purpose AFTER turning off the web protection to confirm that was the actual issue causing my lag.  And it was correct---absolutely no issues.

Also, fast update was off the last time I installed windows when I was trying to figure this stuff out through the entire month of May.  I can turn it off now, sure, but I promise you it made no difference.

Fast startup** sorry. :)

2 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Windows 10 '  Fast Startup is a well known pitfall  that leads to complications exactly like this. 

Again.  With Fast Startup ENABLED, I had no issues.  Only when I had Web Protection enabled did I have any problems.  I did not send you my logs from when I was having the issues, I resolved it by turning off Web Protection and that was the only change I needed.  And I was able to go for an entire week with no intermittent stuttering nor lag.  It was absolutely, 100%, for certain the culprit. 

Now if you mean that your web protection interacts with Fast Startup, that's a problem with your program, not the Windows setting from my perspective. 

Regardless, I'm going to update the program and make the changes you requested (and apparently Windows is updating to version 2004 so that's also going to be a thing), and then re-enable web protection and if the intermittent lag comes back in, I'll let you know.  And that could take between twenty minutes and 12 hours.

41 minutes ago, Eternis said:

Now if you mean that your web protection interacts with Fast Startup, that's a problem with your program, not the Windows setting from my perspective. 

We are not actually trying to say fast start is the issue with the web protection. As a computer repair shop I have found it causes many issues other programs and even Windows it self.

Fast start prevents Windows from actually shutting down when you turn off the computer. It only goes into a hybrid sleep and it prevents file renaming and proper instillation of software and software updates and also is a reason Windows requires monthly or more restarts after updates. 

On 6/17/2020 at 10:48 PM, Eternis said:

Yup.  Sure enough, I turn on web protection, the latency issues with NDIS.sys (and dxgkrnl.sys is still absolutely present.  So it's not fixed with it enabled. 

Then you have 2 choices until a fix is released.

Keep Web protection off

Revert to an earlier version that does not have the issue.

If you wish to revert I can provide a download link and instructions.

4 minutes ago, Eternis said:

Do you know which earlier version does not have this issue?  I have the foggiest idea.

Sure.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

2020-06-09_17h59_49.png

Edited by Porthos

does that mean we know what the issue is?

As far as I know the issue has not been isolated.

I'm really curious to know exactly why this is happening because I spent so much time trying to figure it out

So would the rest of us. The problem is that it does not happen to everyone. Many have no issues at all.

Edited by Porthos

On 6/23/2020 at 12:59 AM, Porthos said:

@Eternis Another question, Was your torrent program active during this?

It was and it wasn't.  I've had nothing open (it does take significantly longer for it to trigger, though), and I've also had lots of things open.  It would seem the more I use the internet the faster it does trigger, though.  The variability of time is so high, it's really hard to say.

As of right now, I have had no issues with the older version, so that's nice.