MalwareBytes 4.1.0.56 Causes Windows 10 2004 Problems

Hi.

I had all kinds of Windows 10 freezing issues in the past because of the ransomware protection being on. Once I turned it off Windows went back to normal. It took a great deal of time to get to the bottom of it. When the update was available and installed things went back to normal.

Now after installing this new 2004 build last night many of the same issues came back. Programs freezing, chrome tabs freezing, outlook issues, task manager freezing windows freezing in general on both my desktop and laptop.

I checked the beta version in both and they are the most current so I turned off the live ransomware protection and everything went back to normal. 

Should I leave it off until a new MalwareBytes update is available or go through the uninstall and clean install of MalwareBytes? I really don't want to go through all that work if I don't have to because it's time consuming and just another thing to have to do...

Thanks.

Greetings,

It sounds like you're affected by a known issue impacting some Malwarebytes users.  Your best bet for now would likely be to keep Ransomware Protection disabled until a version with a fix has been released.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist with please let us know.

Thanks

You're welcome, I'm glad to help :)

Also note that while certainly not ideal, running with Ransomware Protection disabled is likely the least impactful when it comes to protecting your system since Ransomware Protection primarily relies on detecting ransomware behavior in memory, meaning that for Ransomware Protection to detect a threat, the threat must first already have downloaded and installed onto your system and must be in the process of attempting to encrypt the data on your device.  This is in stark contrast to the other modules which are far more proactive/preventative in nature, instead focusing on earlier phases in the attack chain to detect and terminate threats.

I'm having the same issue on my laptop. A reboot temporarily fixes the problem. I've run into this a few times in the past. There's definitely a conflict going on with the new version of Windows Defender. When it happens again i'll try disabling the ransomware module on one or the other programs. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a flood of questions about this very issue.

Unfortunately the issue doesn't occur consistently for all systems.  There are several threads about the issue, however many here on the forums are running Malwarebytes alongside the latest versions of Windows 10 and Windows Defender but don't suffer from these issues.  It seems to be specific to certain systems, and my guess is that it may be certain device drivers/hardware that may trigger the issue to occur.  Regardless of the cause, I do hope to see a fix released soon.  I know that it is being worked on actively and they have been talking about this and other issues likely being addressed in one of the upcoming releases so hopefully the wait won't be too long before it is resolved.

4 hours ago, ejbeak said:

I'm having the same issue on my laptop. A reboot temporarily fixes the problem. I've run into this a few times in the past. There's definitely a conflict going on with the new version of Windows Defender. When it happens again i'll try disabling the ransomware module on one or the other programs. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a flood of questions about this very issue.

Could you attach a current support log. Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline

On 6/13/2020 at 1:51 AM, Porthos said:

Could you attach a current support log. Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline

Sorry I'm not a beta tester and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I have disabled the ransomware module and my laptop is now happier than it's been since I started using MB premium four years ago. The symptoms were exactly the same as when I tried to run it alongside Sophos Home, a few years ago. The only reason that I chose to stick with MB then was that I had paid for a subscription, so I uninstalled Sophos. I've had many other unexplainable issues that I'm sure now that are MB related. My patience has run out, MB has worn out it's welcome on my laptop and I won't be renewing my subscription.

6 minutes ago, ejbeak said:

Sorry I'm not a beta tester and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I have disabled the ransomware module and my laptop is now happier than it's been since I started using MB premium four years ago. The symptoms were exactly the same as when I tried to run it alongside Sophos Home, a few years ago. The only reason that I chose to stick with MB then was that I had paid for a subscription, so I uninstalled Sophos. I've had many other unexplainable issues that I'm sure now that are MB related. My patience has run out, MB has worn out it's welcome on my laptop and I won't be renewing my subscription.

Going back on your previous posts and the issues you have encountered and due to the fact you have never posted logs for our "rabbit hole" I suggest you go ahead and keep ransomware protection disabled if that is what is working for you and submit any further comments or requests for assistance to the help desk so then can assist you in private for any needs you may have. https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you