MalwareBytes 4.1.0.56 Causes Windows 10 2004 Problems

I'm seeing a weird issue on Windows 10 2004 even after updating to the BETA version.

When I try to use Rufus to make a bootable USB from the Windows 10 2004 x64 ISO, towards the end of the progress, Chrome becomes very laggy and web pages stop loading properly. It seems that if I disable Ransomware Protection, the issue goes away, but this is of course not an ideal solution.

image.png.44256b10d67c46d84e43de9efb5d4b8b.png

It seems I cannot edit my post, so I am posting again: I am confident that this issue is related to Malwarebytes because I have been able to reproduce this same behavior on three independent machines, and in all cases, I was able to work around the issue in the way I described above.

5 minutes ago, David-B said:

It seems that if I disable Ransomware Protection, the issue goes away, but this is of course not an ideal solution.

Until it is fixed you have 2 choices, Keep Ransomware protection off or revert to an older version that does not have the issue.

Just a note about Ransomware protection.

The Ransomware Protection component is the least proactive in Malwarebytes because it relies entirely on active application behavior in memory to make detection's, meaning your system would first need to actually be infected by a live ransomware threat for Ransomware Protection to detect anything.  This is extremely unlikely since you still have the other more proactive components active which should prevent any infection from infiltrating your system in the first place, including ransomware. 

Please advise on witch option you wish to take and I can advise you further.

2 minutes ago, David-B said:

the version is the one that was installed before I upgraded.

Just keep an eye on it. You might end up reverting to an older version. But if it keeps working with no issues great.

You are using the current release version of Malwarebytes.

Edited by Porthos

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just keep an eye on it. You might end up reverting to an older version. But if it keeps working with no issues great.

You are using the current release version of Malwarebytes.

Great! I'll be sure to watch it as you say. Thanks!

Hi,

Malwarebytes for Windows Component 1.0.9.55  was made available as a release 16 June
See  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257102-malwarebytes-41/?do=findComment&comment=1388340

If your pc has any earlier Package, it will get that  as part of automatic program update.
( Unless you have blocked automatic install updates).

You can pull the Componnet down by simply clicking "Check for Updates" under the General tab in Settings.
Then I would advise that you re-enable the web protection if you had it off.
Similarly, if you had turned off the ransomware protection.

I believe you will do well with this Component.

9 minutes ago, David-B said:

I have tested Rufus with all of the features enabled after updating to component 1.0.961, but unfortunately, the issue still persists.

What part of Rufus are you trying to use and what version is it? I just tested mine and actually tried the download ISO option and it is working.

39 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What part of Rufus are you trying to use and what version is it? I just tested mine and actually tried the download ISO option and it is working.

I am using Rufus 3.10 to write an Windows 10 ISO to a flash drive. The problem is not with Rufus. It works just fine. The problem is that other programs start to lock up. Most notably, Google Chrome becomes sluggish and unresponsive. If I disable ransomware protection, this problem goes away.

Hello.

Please see this pinned topic
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261111-performance-issue-with-windows-10-2004/

Also, it is a good idea to Follow this pinned post at the top of the forum
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257102-malwarebytes-41/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you