Infected? Machine is running Slow

My machine has been acting a little wonky... some crashes, slow performance.  I'm not sure if it's virus, malware, or just something junking up my registry. After a crash, upon startup I get a prompt to update the firmware on my Alienware mouse, even though I updated the firmware already (That's what makes me think there may just be some junk somewhere). 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Addition.txt FRST.txt MBscan.txt

Hi, 

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.

Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.

Your major issue seems to be about a slow Windows pc.

I noticed the pc is running Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.   What has that application reported ?

You could consider having Spybot NOT auto-loaded with Windows to get back some speed.

I also notice Dell's PC Doctor which may be the source of the message on  "update the firmware".

For the time being,  Close PC Doctor.

The Malwarebytes for Windows scan report result is fine.   I can help you to do additional scans to hunt for potential malware.

This first scan though is to look for adware pests.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Thanks for the Adwcleaner report.   It cleaned up 2 traces of adware-type registry entries.

I would suggest you keep going, checking this system,  with what follows below.

[     1    ]

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 
The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.
The log is named MSERT.log  
the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is
C:\Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply.

NEXT   [      2      ]

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"

Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan

Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.
Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.

There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Let me know the overall situation after this.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Microsoft Safety Scanner run, log attached (msert1.log):

Later that evening I rebooted; I again got that prompt about an Alienware firmware update.  on a lark, I ran the tool again--it found a different infection (msert2.log)..

I plan to start the ESET Online Scan before I go to bed this evening.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jim

msert1.log

msert2.log

Let me strongly caution about any "crack" of any sort whatsoever.   That cracks can very very easily lead into a real ransomware with damage to your user files & documents.

The first Safety scan found

Threat detected: Backdoor:Win32/Androme.PB!MTB
    containerfile://C:\Users\666jt\Downloads\Adobe Captivate 2019 11.0.0.243 (x64) + Crack [CracksNow]\Fix\Patch.zip

file://C:\Users\666jt\Downloads\Adobe Captivate 2019 11.0.0.243 (x64) + Crack [CracksNow]\Fix\Patch.zip->amtemu.v0.9.2.win-painter.exe

The second Safety scanner report is better.   It corrected one minor registry value.

Thank you for the report and the status update.

Let me know how the system is doing after you get back from your trip.

I would suggest a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

Please do a new Scan on this machine, using Malwarebytes for Windows.

To run a Threat Scan, open Malwarebytes for Windows and click the blue Scan button.

Have patience during the run.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

P.S.   Sorry but I only just now noticed that "Angrysinner"  had posted into your Topic.   I am splitting off Angrysinner.

The scan report result from Malwarebytes for Windows is perfect.

Your system did not previously report that any Java version was installed.   So cancel or close any prompts regarding Java.

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire on the current-security-update  status  of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here 
  • and save the tool on the desktop.
  • If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
  • Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

The SecurityCheck tool has pointed out a few apps  that need your attantion.   If you use them, get the latest Update for them.

Zoom v.4.6 Warning! Download Update

TeamViewer v.15.2.2756 Warning! Download Update

iTunes v.12.9.2.6 Warning! Download Update

Adobe AIR v.30.0.0.107 Warning! Download Update

---------------------------- [ UnwantedApps ] -----------------------------
VdhCoApp 1.2.4

Warning! Application is distributed through the partnership programs and bundle assemblies. Uninstallation recommended. Possible you became a victim of fraud or social engineering.

Use of iTunes is up to you.  If you do not use it, uninstall it.   If you do use it  and you are not having issues, then fine.

We can wrap up this case.  What follows is a cleanup on the tools used.

To remove the FRST  tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your Downloads folder.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe .
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Delete SecurityCheck.exe

Delete msert.exe

Delete the ESET download     esetonlinescanner_enu.exe

Delete the mb-support-1.6.1.784.exe 

Delete the mbst-grab-results.zip   on the Desktop

Adwcleaner you may keep and use on-demand to check for adwares.

Any other file I had you download, you may delete.

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Stay safe.  I wish you all the best.   😎

Sincerely,

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you