Please make an announcement when issues with Win. 10 ver. 2004 are resolved

Per the title. And consider making it a pinned announcement like the one for KB 4535996. Not all problem reports have follow-ups, and for the same reason multiple problems are discouraged in one thread someone's success or failure may be unrelated to the overall issue. Thank you!

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Staff members respond to the threads about an issue to alert the customers when an issue is fixed in addition to it being documented in the release notes for the product.  With that said, I am not aware of any issue specific to Windows 10 build 2004 (I'm running build 2004 with Malwarebytes just fine on my own system as I type this), however if you are referring to the web traffic/browser slowdown issue affecting multiple users, it is actively being worked on by the Developers and a member of the Support team will respond to threads about that issue to inform the users once it has been fixed.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might be of assistance with please let us know.

Thanks

I'm asking the Staff to make or allow a pinned post in this forum, the same as they did for KB4535996. It's not unreasonable for a software vendor to acknowledge an issue or resolution regardless of who owns the issue.

I'm referring to the global Windows v2004 issues that are covered in multiple threads here (here's one) including one you've commented in and the solution has been to upgrade to the latest MalwareBytes beta. It isn't optimal to have to bookmark multiple user reports to monitor them for a work around / resolution (did that with the recent iTunes issue).

It's a simple request that when the resolution already in the beta makes it to release that a pinned post be made similar to the 10 that are already there.

49 minutes ago, MrPNutts said:

It's a simple request that when the resolution already in the beta

But it is not fixed for everyone.  There are many users as you pointed out that are having issues and each computer is different. That is why everyone is asked to make their own topic at this time so the fix can be found.

Have to find the issues before a pinned topic can be created with a fix.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

There are many users as you pointed out that are having issues and each computer is different.

I've used MalwareBytes and lurked this forum for a long time and understand how it works. I have the same issues some are reporting and I know to not chime in. People are rightfully told to not join in on in threads because each computer is different and I don't disagree with that, and that also applies to me being told your computer works with no issues.

Thank you for your responses but my comment was a quick request to Staff or whomever can make pinned announcements. I'm simply asking for an generic pinned post when fixes are rolled out that are intended to target Win 10 v2004 issues reported here.

4 minutes ago, MrPNutts said:

I'm simply asking for an generic pinned post when fixes are rolled out that are intended to target Win 10 v2004 issues reported here.

We will just have to wait till there is a fix to cover all the current issues. The more people who open topics and provide logs the better since it has not been able to be replicated "in house" .

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

We will just have to wait till there is a fix to cover all the current issues. The more people who open topics and provide logs the better since it has not been able to be replicated "in house" .

I'm only asking Staff for an announcement. I don't know how I can be any clearer.

11 minutes ago, MrPNutts said:

I'm only asking Staff for an announcement. I don't know how I can be any clearer.

There is already a pinned announcement for the betas and what they fix along with an announcement on release versions as well and changes.

2 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi.   Would you share some details as to what is not working right  + also the Version + Component package version of Malwarebytes,  plus if any of the issue involves one or more of web browsers?

When did your pc first get Windows build 2004 ?

Hi Maurice,

I typically open tickets directly to MalwareBytes and don't come to this forum for assistance because of the same types of responses I'm getting in this thread. But I like technical questions and technical answers so in the spirit of helping see my responses below. I haven't opened a support ticket yet because I updated to v2004 then rolled back to v1909 both Sunday night and haven't had time today to spend on this. My plan was to open a ticket and let support advise me on if they wanted any information collected prior to me updating to v2004 again.

1. It affected the entire system, including with no browsers launched. Randomly and usually within five minutes of booting the system would slow to the point where it appeared frozen (only because I didn't wait longer than five minutes before doing a dirty shutdown). Sometimes launching new Edge caused the slowness immediately. Chrome didn't as often, but after a couple of occurrences I shifted to troubleshooting so I would reboot and only launch Event Viewer (no browsers), Task Manager, or NotePad++ to take notes, running DSIM and sfc to look for issues, etc. No matter what I did or what I had open, including no browsers, the slowness occurred. After chasing my tail on some event log errors that appear to be common to v2004 and benign and removing an application, I decided to cut my losses and roll back because I wasn't prepared to validate everything on the laptop one by one to find the problem. It was after I rolled back I discovered the MalwareBytes connection being reported in other forums besides this one so I came here instead of disabling or removing it as others were advising. The Quick Scan on start ran normally and sometimes finished before any slowness. I did not feel there was a connection between the two.
  2. I didn't capture my MalwareBytes version at the time (not knowing it was the issue), but I'm currently at 4.1.0.56, Update package 1.0.25236, and Component package 1.0.931. If there have been no updates in the past 30-ish hours then that's what I had. After the iTunes conflict it crossed my mind to disable MalwareBytes on a whim, but as I mentioned above I didn't want to randomly try things.
  3. Last night was the first update to 2004. I no longer have the patience nor time to play with previews or early releases or betas (which is why I don't want to use the MalwareBytes beta just to use v2004). I'm in no hurry.

My apologies for the long response. The devil is often in the details.

It definitely sounds like the same issue being reported by others.  Disabling Web Protection or reverting to an earlier version of Malwarebytes which is unaffected by this issue are possible workarounds until it has been resolved in a new release.  Once the issue is fixed a member of the staff will respond to threads here on the forums involving this issue to notify affected users of the fix, advising them to update to the new build including the fix once it has been released.

I do not know if they will create a pinned topic specific to this issue, though I doubt it as typically they include information in the release notes and advise affected users by replying to them directly via their threads and most releases include fixes for more than a single issue so creating a pinned topic for each would get cluttered and confusing, at least in my opinion.

Your writeup is apprecaited, MrPNutts.

Indeed details count.   It would also help to review the program configuration & the startup options.

Please get and run the Support tool report.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

At step 9,  just attach the mbst-grab-results .zip file as an attachment with your reply here.  The zip file will be on the desktop of your pc.

Has there been any communication about this issue at all outside of the forums (e.g. email, or notification within the malwarebytes application)? Or any plans for rollback?

I got a new computer around the time the update causing the issue was released, so of course I thought it must've been a problem with my hardware and didn't suspect malwarebytes at all.

Tens of precious hours wasted trying to swap out different GPUs, RAM sticks, SSDs (which involved upgrading to windows 10 on my old SSD so I could reduce the risk of having windows activation issues due to swapping motherboards), changing settings in windows, clean reinstalling windows, bios reset, switching between wifi/ethernet, updating drivers. Literally tried everything I could think of.

I was about to RMA my motherboard and was only stopped when I went back to using my old computer to prepare for my new motherboard to get RMA'd and noticed my old computer suddenly had the same issue. When I went back to using to my old computer, if I had not been prompted and agreed to update malwarebytes to the same version that was causing the issue, I probably would have never realised the issue was with malwarebytes and my motherboard would be RMA'd right now.

From my experience, the severity of the problem varied a lot and sometimes it took days before the issue started to occur. It seemed to be the most extreme when either using qbittorrent, or for whatever reason running speedtest-cli on my linux virtual machine (this did not occur when running speedtest-cli on the windows host). Sometimes it got so bad that I would wake up in the morning and couldn't even log in because my computer was basically completely frozen (I keep my computer on 24/7).

I've also had an instance where it caused a BSOD, as well as prevented my ethernet from working until my computer was restarted as the network interface kept continually trying to reset (The network interface "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" has begun resetting.  There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 1026 time(s) since it was last initialized.).

Not to mention it seemed to sometimes be causing strange video/audio sync issues where the video was delayed a couple of seconds but the audio was immediate (saw this happening in videos in the browser, games, and even Zoom video calls).

I've captured a video (that I was going to send with my motherboard RMA request 🙂of the issue where you can hear the stuttering while qbittorrent is torrenting, and then speedtest running on my virtual machine where you can most definitely hear it 🙃. You can also see the video/audio sync issues in the video, which seem to strangely disappear after the speedtest is done.

Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated and disappointed by malwarebytes after all of this and have stopped using it as I just can't trust it anymore. It's been one week since I stopped using it and I've had absolutely no problems with stuttering. This issue definitely needs more exposure, either some sort of pinned topic or an email being sent out. This stuttering is the type of behaviour I'd expect from malware, not anti-malware software. Who knows how many other people have been having the same issue and have not been able to link it to malwarebytes. For me this last month has been absolute hell trying to resolve this issue and could have been pinpointed much earlier if there was more communication from malwarebytes about the issue or some sort of rollback. I really hope an explanation of the root cause of this is eventually released, similar to the one for the memory leak in 2018, which also caused me headaches:

I have attached a dump of the BSOD: 042620-7812-01.dmp where I can see some files relating to virtualbox and malwarebytes being referenced.

Would really love to get some answers to this issue.

9 hours ago, Syurba said:

Would really love to get some answers to this issue.

Your only options are to keep web protection off or revert to an older build that does not have the issue.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep all Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Edited by Porthos

9 hours ago, Syurba said:

Has there been any communication about this issue at all outside of the forums (e.g. email, or notification within the malwarebytes application)? Or any plans for rollback?

Hi Syurba,

I don't expect you'll get that information here. I'm not sure if even the Staff that posts here are privy to those details. I generally find information on other sites and then sometimes pop in here to see if it's been acknowledged or still being treated as our problem. Based on the responses to my request here I don't expect any targeted communication, but three and six month old Microsoft items are worth keeping pinned.

I only lost about three hours on my Win10 upgrade attempt, but I spent much longer trying to get iTunes operational. I've overlooked the lack of communication and support because I believed in the product, but these types of issues make me question why I stick with a three-legged stool missing two legs. I communicated the v2004 issues to others I know who use Malwarebytes (they didn't know anything about it and would have also blindly stubbed their toe had they upgraded). Sadly I now consider MalwareBytes the most problematic application on my PCs.

You can be very sure that your posts have been noted by Malwarebytes staff.  There has been no formal pinned item I imagine because there has been no commonality found that is universal to all cases of those customers posting after a upgrade to Windows 10 May 2020 build.  The cases are not universally all the same.

And there are a goodly number of others who have had Windows 10 build for a long time and also have Malwarebytes and are doing fine.

There have been also other customers who have been helped here who are doing well on MB versions 4.1.0.1056  as well as on Beta 4.1.1.71

Your situations where you have issues are regretful.  It is best that they are dealt with in individual Topics.  Help has been offered here.

10 hours ago, Syurba said:

Has there been any communication about this issue at all outside of the forums (e.g. email, or notification within the malwarebytes application)?

Since it only affects a hand full out of millions, It is only here. Malwarebytes has not ever used in app messages to alert of program issues because they do not affect 100% of users. Same with email. I have 100's of clients that Malwarebytes has no Idea what their email address is. So email is not an effective tool.

People have already complained about different Malwarebytes programs asking for email as well as the in app messages.

I have only 2 out of over 400+ active Malwarebytes clients and only 3 are having any of the reported issues.

I can confirm I also have problems with Windows 2004 in combination with Malwarebytes. Randomly my system became unresponsive. For example I would open an application and it didn't really open, the window just stayed blank. Trying to open task manager didn't work and just showed a not-responding window. Waiting for minutes didn't help. Only rebooting helps at that point. I did try out the latest beta and also disabled fast startup and that didn't help. Fully uninstalling malwarebytes is the only thing that helped. I'm a software developer myself, you can consider me a power user that knows what he is doing, I'm really certain that the cause was Malwarebytes.

And as the original poster asked I'm now also awaiting an announcement of a proper fix. I don't really like what I'm seeing here with the denial of the problem. The reason you don't have many users complaining about the problem yet, is because rollout of Windows 2004 has only just started.

1 hour ago, Neverwinterx said:

I don't really like what I'm seeing here with the denial of the problem. The reason you don't have many users complaining about the problem yet, is because rollout of Windows 2004 has only just started.

I have to add, No one is denying the issue. The various issues are happening to all versions of Windows not 2004.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

I have to add, No one is denying the issue. The various issues are happening to all versions of Windows not 2004.

I'll chime in and say I've been a software developer for large chunks of my life and I've been very careful to not say the issues are in MalwareBytes itself. v2004's latest revision is dated 6/9/2020 so Microsoft may have flipped a bit at any time in the past four-ish weeks and now 2004 and MalwareBytes aren't besties. Maybe that's why older installations aren't problematic. 

As @Neverwinterx referred to, 2004 has only been released for 14 days after being in the Preview Ring for a couple of weeks.

Here's my frustration with this forum in case the words land somewhere:

Porthos' quoted comment itself is a denial. Or quibbling. Or pushback. I asked for a notification when issues are resolved with v2004. I didn't ask for all issues to be resolved nor specify it had to be a MalwareBytes fix. I just want to know when I can use my computer with both MalwareBytes and v2004. No rush, I can wait. I didn't think there would be a discussion to my quick request. I would have been happier with "No" or "We'll pass that along" instead of being drawn into the weeds. There are different helpers here with different takes, different opinions, different expertise, and the conversations turns into circular arguments as someone tags in to pick apart a response to someone else. There are three-ish frustrated customers in this one thread and and they are being told in different, subtle (and not so subtle) ways they are wrong. My experience is that's not unique to this thread. On the up side this forum helps people with the same type of issue over and over, but it feels rigid and unwelcoming when anything outside the box comes up.

38 minutes ago, MrPNutts said:

I asked for a notification when issues are resolved with v2004.

I am fairly sure there will be one. End of that story.

The user I quoted was not anything related to your request. Biggest issue is not all 2004 users are having the issue. I personally do not have it. But so far 2 clients one on 2004 and one on 1909 are having issues and I down graded them to 4.0.4. Now no issues to report so far.

Right now in the assorted threads we are grasping for answers to what can fix the issues for all concerned.

Right now I am glad it is only 2 because for my clients get FREE support with any Malwarebytes issue because I sell it and support it for the last 12 years.

That's fine.

But one is compelled to remind that Windows 10 2004 build 19041  has been around in its basic form since like December 2019 in the Windows Insider program.

I am one of those that have had this build for several months.  Just saying its' not necessarily the Windows build.

However, for some machines, the actual change from build 1909  ( fall 2019)  to May 2020 may have tripped some underlying issues on those.

One of those is the Fast Startup on some on them.   For some others,  not doing a Restart before going into the upgrade tripped some.

For others,  it may well be some options in their MB configuration.

That is why some regulars on the forum, myself included, have urged for each one to provide actual reports and have them helped one on one.

I know of at least 4 cases that have been successful  in having new installs of MB on build 2004.

Then too,  on the factor of announcements,   each new Version release of MB4 is announced at the top of the forum and includes list of fixes and enhancements.

Edited by Maurice Naggar