Hardcopy1

MalwareBytes 4.1.0.56 Causes Windows 10 2004 Problems

I recently updated my instance of Windows 10 from version 1909 to version 2004.  After the update, Windows began acting very, very slowly and almost to the point of being unresponsive.  Then, I saw a post somewhere that said that MalwareBytes 4.1 was causing a problem with this new version of Windows 10.  On the chance that this was also my problem, I quit MalwareBytes from the Taskbar Tray area.  Upon doing this, Windows amazingly began operating as it should.  I've since disabled the automatic start of MalwareBytes at Windows Start-Up.  I've no doubt that you've heard of this conflict of Windows 10 and MalwareBytes 4,1 from other users.  The reason I'm writing this is to ask that I be notified when a fix has been published (MalwareBytes is currently disabled).

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Posted (edited)

Hello.   

Please do know that the condition described is not universally the same as far as those pc's running Windows build 2004.

There are differences in situations.   What should help to start with is a clean re-install of the Malwarebytes for Windows.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool. 

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let me know  the result after that.   As needed, we could take some other followup measures.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Posted (edited)

For the benefit of other readers,   Malwarebytes  for Windows Beta version 4.1.1.71  with Component update 1.0.946  was announced & made available Thursday June 4.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257042-malwarebytes-41-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1385921

image.png.0e86cf9231579210a0738415ad5220fc.png

For the benefit of other readsrs:     To get the latest Beta do this.

In Malwarebytes,  click Settings icon & then on the General tab

Look for the section "Beta updates"   and on that line, click it all the way to the right.

image.png.b8b7de813d57cfbf0f400b0eff147653.png

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I uninstalled MalwareBytes 4.1.0.56 using the tool mentioned above (see attached)and reinstalled it using the same tool BUT 'm still experiencing the same slow-down as before.  My CPU went to 96% and I finally had to restart several times before I could Quit the program using the taskbar tray application.  I'm back to the point where I don't let MWB start with Windows.  BTW, I don't have the Beta Updates switch turned on.  I'm also attaching a screenshot of my Security settings.

MWB-Settings.png

mbst-clean-results.txt

Hi @ Hardcopy1

imho,  You ought not to have on the "Enable self-protection early start"   or the "Enable self-protection module"

also imho,  you should re-consider having the Beta 4.1.1.71

That has improvements and fixes as well.   and you will continue to get notices for new versions.

Thanks for the mbst-clean report.

I took your advice in regards to the self-protection settings and regarding the Beta versions.  After the installation of version 4.1.1.71, Windows 10 version 2004 is operating much better.  Thanks for your help.  Any idea when MWB 4.1.1.71 will become GA?  I generally don't install Beta versions but in this case I made an exception.

Very good on your part.  Bravo.   

I have no knowledge of a actual next "release'.   However, my past experience over all these many many years, I would tend to expect a official release in a week or so.

In any event, as long as your program is on the beta, it will continue to self-update as needed.

I am glad that we appear to have your machine in good stead.   I know of at least one other person who also switched the self-protection to off who then had a success.

Let me know if you need other help,   even as time passes.

I do appreciate your courage and this feedback.         :bananas:          :guitar:     

Just as a note for other readers of this topic:

There are 2 people on this Topic who have gotten their pc's on to Malwarebytes beta 4.1.1.71  ( pc's running Windows 10 Build 2004)  who are now doing well.

I have split out the other replies as they were flooding the topic started by @Hardcopy1

If  you're having an issue with the program, please start  you own new topic.

I'm going to close this topic now as the original poster has been helped. If you're having issues of your own please start a new topic

Thank you