Baldape

Can MBAM for Android remove StrandHogg?

Greetings,

Vulnerabilities such as the one described in the article you linked to are not actual malware themselves; they are weaknesses in the code of the affected software which may be used by the bad guys as documented in the published CV article to potentially perform the actions described by the CV.  You can learn more about what exploits and vulnerabilities are by reading this Malwarebytes Labs article; it is primarily discussing Windows/PC exploits, but they are all the same thing in a general sense, regardless of the device/software.

The best thing to do is to stay up to date on your operating system and software and install any available patches for your device, and of course keep your malware protection (such as Malwarebytes) up to date as well.  If you require assistance with getting your device itself up to date you should contact your phone provider and they should be able to provide instructions on how to do so for your particular device.

I hope that helps to clarify things a bit.  Please let us know if there is anything else we might help you with.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Vulnerabilities such as the one described in the article you linked to are not actual malware themselves; they are weaknesses in the code of the affected software which may be used by the bad guys as documented in the published CV article to potentially perform the actions described by the CV.  You can learn more about what exploits and vulnerabilities are by reading this Malwarebytes Labs article; it is primarily discussing Windows/PC exploits, but they are all the same thing in a general sense, regardless of the device/software.

Thanks. The last time I got an update for my phone was March 29th 2020. So I'm not sure if my phone got the patch for that weaknesses/exploit. I guess what asking is if someone got infected with malware that exploited this weaknesses would Malwarebytes be able to find it?

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Baldape said:

Thanks. The last time I got an update for my phone was March 29th 2020. So I'm not sure if my phone got the patch for that weaknesses/exploit. I guess what asking is if someone got infected with malware that exploited this weaknesses would Malwarebytes be able to find it?

There is no way to know because any malware that actually gets onto your system could have any source and could be a threat of any type; the method that was used to infect the system (including any exploits) generally has very little or nothing to do with determining what the actual malware/infection might be that ends up on the system.  Based on the info in the article that you linked to from Bleeping Computer it is definitely a very serious vulnerability that could be used in any number of ways to put a device at risk so you should probably check with your phone's service provider or at least check their website as they may have info about this vulnerability and/or info on the most recent updates for your device.

Edited by exile360

Hi @Baldape,

In the case of StrandHogg, it is true that it's an exploit as @exile360 explained.  However, it's an exploit coded within Android/Trojan.Bankbot which we do detect.  So yes, in a round about way, we detect StrandHogg.

Nathan