Jump to content

What does the MWB_info.zip file contain?


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone

I downloaded an ran the malwarebytess support tool for Mac and sent the resulted file MWB_info.zip to my advisor but my question here is what this zip file contains? If it puts my personal information in danger(not baceuse of malwarebytes but if someone else sees it idk maybe if they hack my email or something su I am just curious)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Staff

Greetings,

The Support Tool gathers information about your system and Malwarebytes installation for troubleshooting purposes.  You may open the ZIP file for yourself using any utility that handles ZIP archives and review the text files it contains to review the info if you wish.  It should not contain any personal information, however there is no guarantee that it will not contain at least some identifying info if, for example, you used your full actual name as your user account name for your operating system (a mistake I've sadly seen many users make; such info is easily read by applications and even websites you visit so using a name that doesn't actually identify you is a good idea the same way that you use an alias for other accounts such as here on the forums).

I hope that helps set your mind at ease, and of course you may review the logs yourself as I mentioned above if you want to see exactly what information the ZIP file contains.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

The Support Tool gathers information about your system and Malwarebytes installation for troubleshooting purposes.  You may open the ZIP file for yourself using any utility that handles ZIP archives and review the text files it contains to review the info if you wish.  It should not contain any personal information, however there is no guarantee that it will not contain at least some identifying info if, for example, you used your full actual name as your user account name for your operating system (a mistake I've sadly seen many users make; such info is easily read by applications and even websites you visit so using a name that doesn't actually identify you is a good idea the same way that you use an alias for other accounts such as here on the forums).

I hope that helps set your mind at ease, and of course you may review the logs yourself as I mentioned above if you want to see exactly what information the ZIP file contains.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have the file anymore and deleted the email, that is why I am asking if it contains important information about my machine or something like that that could be threatening for my security

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Staff

No, none of the information it contains should pose any sort of risk to your system/security.  If you wish, you may download and run the tool again just to have it create the log files then open them and see what they contain; it will be the same info as the files you emailed to Support.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, so it only contains information about logs in my system? I was worried it could expose my information but if you say it only contains my user name I think it's okay, does it have any other information? Sorry, I am not able to run the tool atm that's why I am asking

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, exile360 said:

No, none of the information it contains should pose any sort of risk to your system/security.  If you wish, you may download and run the tool again just to have it create the log files then open them and see what they contain; it will be the same info as the files you emailed to Support.

Sorry, I managed to run the tool in another computer and saw there sis pparently nothing personal. Is all the information that the tool collects related to malwarebytes? It doesn't collect info from other apps?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Staff

It gathers info about your system such as the version of Windows along with various settings and info about the programs running on your system along with some logs which list info specifically about the installation of Malwarebytes on your system.  If you really want to know what sort of info they contain you can read through them for yourself.  Most of it is just info pulled from the registry but it is far too much to describe here, however if it contained anything that posed any sort of risk then we wouldn't be using it, especially on a public forum where anyone could access the logs of others as that would be unethical, especially since Malwarebytes is a cybersecurity vendor.  With all of that said, if anyone were to hack your email account you would likely have much bigger problems than those logs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, exile360 said:

It gathers info about your system such as the version of Windows

OP is a macOS user.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Staff
13 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

OP is a macOS user.

Right, that was just an example of the kinds of info gathered by the tool.  In this case it would be the version of Mac OS but I assume the two versions of the tool serve similar functions and gather similar info for diagnostic purposes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.