[ RESOLVED ] Blue screen after updating Malwarebytes

It all happened after I did it. There is a total crash of my pc and then it gives a blue screen.
So I assumed that the cause was Malwarebytes and it was, after having closed I have not returned to present this problem. I did one more test to verify if the culprit was Malwarebytes, I ran it and after a while it presented a blue screen. I am sure that the new update of Malwarebytes components is the cause since before doing it everything worked perfectly. The error is: "dpc watchdog violations windows". Your help

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing issues but we'll do our best to help.  To begin, please provide the crash dump(s) from the BSOD(s) you experienced along with the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

If the crash dumps are too large to attach here then please upload them to WeTransfer.com, selecting the option to share the file as a link, then post the link to the file in your reply.  The crash dumps should be located under C:\Windows and/or C:\Windows\minidump; please compress any dump files you have from the crash caused by Malwarebytes into a ZIP archive then attach them or share them via WeTransfer as mentioned previously.

If the system will not boot due to the BSOD try booting into Safe Mode as detailed here and here then uninstall Malwarebytes and you should then be able to boot your system normally again.

Thanks

25 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing issues but we'll do our best to help.  To begin, please provide the crash dump(s) from the BSOD(s) you experienced along with the following:

3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

If the crash dumps are too large to attach here then please upload them to WeTransfer.com, selecting the option to share the file as a link, then post the link to the file in your reply.  The crash dumps should be located under C:\Windows and/or C:\Windows\minidump; please compress any dump files you have from the crash caused by Malwarebytes into a ZIP archive then attach them or share them via WeTransfer as mentioned previously.

If the system will not boot due to the BSOD try booting into Safe Mode as detailed here and here then uninstall Malwarebytes and you should then be able to boot your system normally again.

Thanks

Unfortunately when trying to get the logs the Malwarebytes support tool gives me an error (attached image). I hope your help

capture.jpg

053020-42562-01.dmp 053020-25500-01.dmp 053020-26687-01.dmp 053020-28390-01.dmp

If you would, please attach them here instead so that the staff may analyze them.  I help on the forums but I do not interact with the Developers and QA teams and they will need the logs for analysis.  If you aren't comfortable posting them on the forums then please create a support ticket by filling out the form on this page and they will assist you directly.

I would not like to uninstall Avast. As I mentioned the problem arose after I updated the Malwarebytes components (v.1.0.931). The problem goes away when I exit Malwarebytes. In fact, I am using the pc and obviously I closed Malwarebytes and until now I have not presented any problem. Maybe it's some kind of specific conflict with my pc?

Understood, I was just thinking that Avast may be triggering the BSOD in Malwarebytes due to a possible conflict.  It would be helpful to test but you can skip it for now and try other options, though the more variables we can eliminate the better obviously.

Please see if installing the latest beta of Malwarebytes helps.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the gear icon, then under the General tab enable the option for beta updates then navigate to the About tab and click the Check for updates link located there and allow it to download and install the beta then restart your system and see if the issue is fixed.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, CristianM said:

maybe I'll go back to a more stable version.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

I don't understand what happened, I followed the recommended steps but Malwarebytes was automatically updated (4.1.0.56 - 1.0.931) so I'm afraid my pc will crash again. For now I can only exit Malwarebytes until a more stable update comes out, at least for me.

Greetings

1 hour ago, CristianM said:

Done, I just installed the previous version (4.1.0.159 - 1.0.920) which worked perfectly for me before updating.

If it does cause issues again, Please reread the instructions in post 14 and install the version I linked there.

I have installed the version you provided, however this version lacks "dark mode" it is not relevant but I like to use this mode. And unfortunately Malwarebytes was automatically updated to the current version. So I uninstalled it and later installed version 4.1.0.159 - 1.0.920. I just hope it doesn't update again. I do not know what else to do. Any suggestion?

9 minutes ago, CristianM said:

I just hope it doesn't update again. I do not know what else to do. Any suggestion?

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

In fact that was the first thing I did and I also disabled my internet to prevent this from happening, but Malwarebytes was simply updated when activating my internet. I do not know why?

Excuse my barging in here.   @CristianM   

There have been recurring aborts of mbamservice & mbamtray

Error: (05/30/2020 06:55:19 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Nombre de la aplicación con errores: MBAMService.exe, versión: 3.2.0.890, marca de tiempo: 0x5e4bfca6
Nombre del módulo con errores: MBAMShim.dll_unloaded, versión: 3.0.0.1019, marca de tiempo: 0x5eb2ecd2
Código de excepción: 0xc0000005
Desplazamiento de errores: 0x0000000000007710
Identificador del proceso con errores: 0x8ac
Hora de inicio de la aplicación con errores: 0x01d636dd0d9476f3
Ruta de acceso de la aplicación con errores: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
Ruta de acceso del módulo con errores: MBAMShim.dll
Identificador del informe: 03ace605-a2d1-11ea-863d-2c600c0a1b8c
Nombre completo del paquete con errores: 
Identificador de aplicación relativa del paquete con errores:

Error: (05/30/2020 03:03:44 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Nombre de la aplicación con errores: mbamtray.exe, versión: 4.0.0.680, marca de tiempo: 0x5ecfd255
Nombre del módulo con errores: KERNELBASE.dll, versión: 6.3.9600.19478, marca de tiempo: 0x5d6aa558
Código de excepción: 0xc0000142
Desplazamiento de errores: 0x00000000000ecf30
Identificador del proceso con errores: 0xdf0
Hora de inicio de la aplicación con errores: 0x01d636bd676fa7bc
Ruta de acceso de la aplicación con errores: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
Ruta de acceso del módulo con errores: KERNELBASE.dll
Identificador del informe: a9a9ce17-a2b0-11ea-863a-2c600c0a1b8c
Nombre completo del paquete con errores: 
Identificador de aplicación relativa del paquete con errores:

If I may suggest, either from this MB version get onto the Beta 4.1.1.71   or perhaps, do a clean install & then get to 4.1.1.71

That version has several fixes, plus improvements.

Start Malwarebytes.

Click the settings  ( gear icon)  off the top right corner.

Then look at the tab "General".   Then scroll down to "Beta updates".

On that line,  click it so that the radio button is to the far right.

Next, scroll back up to the section "Application updates".

Look for the blue color "Check for Updates".   Click on that.   Watch for update messages,   Follow the prompts.

If the updates to the program for Component package 1.0.931  doe not show,  then at the Top of the next Clock hour,  then repeat the Check for updates.

You can view which program component & version of Malwarebytes by click the About tab.

If it has the very latest beta, it should show  version 4.1.1.71    and  component package 1.0.931

Do keep us apprised.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

26 minutes ago, CristianM said:

In fact that was the first thing I did and I also disabled my internet to prevent this from happening, but Malwarebytes was simply updated when activating my internet. I do not know why?

It may have somehow determined the update was available during install and once your internet became active it immediately pulled down the update.  If you end up not running the beta as suggested above or need to revert to the old version again if the beta doesn't correct the issue then a clean install of the older version using the Support Tool should do the job, assuming you are able to disable the update options in time for it not to force the download again.  Instructions on doing a clean uninstall may be found below:

3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then deny the prompt to reinstall once the system restarts then reinstall the older build once more.