Re-boots

My ACER Aspire 3 is less than two years old and has been re-booting itself.  First it was once a week or so but on Thursday it was 3 times, yesterday was 2 times and none so far today.  Anyone can help

with this?  I know I will not buy another ACER again.

20 hours ago, thaipo said:

My ACER Aspire 3 is less than two years old and has been re-booting itself.  First it was once a week or so but on Thursday it was 3 times, yesterday was 2 times and none so far today.  Anyone can help

with this?  I know I will not buy another ACER again.

Do you have Malwarebytes Premium installed on this computer?

5 hours ago, thaipo said:

Yes I do.  They referred me to this forum.

More than likely this will not change or correct the issue, but it will ensure that your installation is good and no corrupt or any old files that did not get updated.

Please try the following STEPS

STEP 1
Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let us know if that clears up the issue or not.

If STEP 1 did not help then please restart the computer and  proceed to STEP 2 so that we can get logs to help us determine the cause

STEP 2
When the issue occurs, do you have a VPN or any other network filtering software enabled (besides Malwarebytes)?
Does this issue consistently present itself when Web Protection is enabled?
Does the issue occur when you are not using Bittorent, qBittorrent, or any other P2P torrent software?

We're in need of additional information to help narrow down the cause of this issue.
Part of this process will involve manually triggering a crash to obtain a memory dump, which will hopefully show what the Web Protection driver is doing to cause this issue. You can read more about this process here.

Once you've reproduced the issue and are actively experiencing it, force a crash by pressing the following keys at the same time: Left Ctrl+Left Alt+U+U.

After the machine has rebooted, you should find a memory dump named MEMORY.dmp in C:\Windows. Please zip this up and provide it to us.

Please follow the directions from the following topic:  Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline and upload that new log as well on your next reply

Thank you

Hate to tell you but I am an older person and I am scared to death to do some of these things and there are steps I plain do not understand.

Step 1 is understandable.

I do not have a VPN but do use Norton 360 Delux.  Malwarebyts gave me a list of 6 things to put in my exclusions last Sep and I checked and they are still there.  Attached is what was excluded.

I will take time and try to follow the instructions.  The computer rebooted 3X on Thurs, 2X on Friday, 0 on Sat and 1 time yesterday.

Vernon Pobanz

06-01-20 11-24-43 AM.png

4 hours ago, thaipo said:

I am scared to death to do some of these things and there are steps I plain do not understand.

Understood. At least do the following.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

1 hour ago, thaipo said:

Thanks again.

I hope the following instructions are easy enough for you. It might help but it wont harm any thing.

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

I hope I can make sense to you.  I read that you wanted me to turn off the fast startup and then to a 'restart'.  I read in the article that having the 'Hibernate' button off would also disable the 'fast startup',  When I got to step 3 the Hibernate button was NOT checked.  So when I changed the setting, I unchecked 'Turn on fast startup' and placed a check mark in the 'Hibernate' block and saved the changes.  There was no UAC for me to click YES as in step 4.  But it does say "If prompted."  I closed everything out and did a 'Restart.'  Guess what happened? After the restart, I clicked to open my Chrome pages (2) and the laptop rebooted itself.  Attached is a pictures of how my settings look after step 3.

I will look at the rest tomorrow as it is after 1:00 AM here.

Malwarebyts told me a few months ago about the exclusions to add to my North 360 Deluxe.  This rebooting problem is a new problem but I will look to see that what I have equals what your instructions show.

Thanks for the quick responses.  Tonight I am just going to close the lid and see how this reacts in the morning.  I had been shutting the computer off each night but the other day read that this is not necessary.  Malwarebyts send me an article stating what to do and just do a 'Restart' every 3 days or so.  Thanks again and good night.

Turn off fast start button.png

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

I hope the following instructions are easy enough for you. It might help but it wont harm any thing.

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Hi Portos - This is Part II response to this email to me.  Actually it is more of a question.  How am I supposed to shut down my computer every night before bed.  I was clicking 'Shut Down' and then boot up in the morning.  For a while now I have closed the Internet and the put the computer in 'Sleep mode'.   Then when it would get slow I would do the 'Shut down' again. Malwarebyts sent me something the other day that said it is best to 'Restart' my laptop to completely shut everything off.  I just looked at this article again and it shows how to create a shortcut to shut the computer down that will do the same as a 'Restart.'  I put the directions in an attachment.  What do you think of this.  I forgot one thing, the last few nights I was just closing my laptop and the next morning when I get up, open the lid and it comes on.  The the computer gets slow and I re-boot.

I still have to look at my exclusions in my Norton 360 Deluxe and I will do it and tell you my findings.

I did not have any unintentional re-boots today following your instructions.  But I want to see more time go by before I admit success.  One thing changed.  I hate the ACER laptop because it does not have a light I can look at to see if my keypad on my right side is locked or not for the numbers.  I can be on a spreadsheet and the numbers work in one cell and then the next cell it does not work and I have to push the Num Lock button to see if it is locked or not.  Same thing with my Caps Lock.  No light and I will type a partial sentence only to find out the Cap Lock was on.  All lost time.  Now today, the Num Lock key and the Caps Lock key would not tell me one way or the other if I had numbers or Capital letters.  Had to type first and see what came up.  I can't see how following your instructions would have changed this.

You are much more computer literate that me and would like your comments on this email.

Again - Thanks much for your time.

06-02-20 8-30-45 PM.png

I hate the ACER laptop because it does not have a light I can look at to see if my keypad on my right side is locked or not for the numbers. 

I won't say I hate ACER laptops. Many brands do that now. I will say I hate any and all brands of laptops marketed for consumer use. I will only own or sell business class laptops or desktops to my clients.

Now, I also will not run any other AV program except Windows Defender with Malwarebytes.  My opinion. Too many chances for conflict.

I still have to look at my exclusions in my Norton 360 Deluxe and I will do it and tell you my findings.

Please do add the Malwarebytes files to Norton's allow/exclusion list.

I can't see how following your instructions would have changed this.

I cant either.

would like your comments on this email.

Should not be needed if fast start and hibernation are off but will not hurt either.

Now to add to you things to do. Enable the BETA updates in Malwarebytes and check again manually for updates.

2020-06-02_21h53_44.png

I just updated the the latest item above.

Still not sure of one thing.  How should I close my computer before going to bed.  Last night I closed all windows, turned off the Internet and and put the computer in sleep mode.  Moved the mouse this morning, it wakes up and I open the window needed.  No problems so far today.  I want to go back and make sure all the exclusions are there as they should be.

This laptop gets used a lot.  The speed is up to 6 GHz.  Have 6 Mb Ram.  I have two monitors.  I trade stocks and options and just keep an eye on things.  I have the Schwab Streetsmart open all day.  I use Freestockcharts.com for charts and quotes.  If I trade in Fidelity or Vanguard, I open these to do the trade and then close.  I also have TD Ameritrade where I trade the S&P mini futures.  This is on their platform called Think or Swim.  Have not done much of this lately.  I get well over 100 emails daily.  Belong to a couple Yahoo Groups.  I use spreadsheets to track my trades.  Skype is open for messages and I open and close Face Book as needed.  I don't know if I need more RAM or if I can put more in.  This laptop does get used.  Then every Oct I go to my home in Thailand for 5 to 5 1/2 months.  Come back in late March.

I do have one other problem that started a few weeks ago.  May as well tell you now but it may not be part of what you do.  I get at least 20 messages a day that some program is using too much of my CPU resources.  I am sure it has something to do with Software Reporter tool.  Do you know about this and the connection.  I have looked up on the Internet but when I try to follow steps, they are incomplete or the author thinks I know more about computers than I do.  I hate when direction are like open folder, click on Details and the open such and such and what they say to open is not there.  So far I have been able to follow your instruction pretty easily.  Get this solved and I think I am good to go for awhile longer.  No attachment.

Again Thanks for your support.  thaipo  

Hi Portos,

I just went to check if what I have on my Norton 360 Deluxe as file exclusions were the same as you sent me under the title  "Malwarebytes for Windows antivirus exclusions list".  Attachment 'Exclusions for Norton' was given to me by Malwarebyts support.  This did stop a problem I had back when I contacted support.  The Exclusions you sent to me are in the 2nd attachment and I don't know if you want these added to the other exclusions I have in Norton.  Please review both and advise.  Thanks much.   thaipo

Exclusions for Norton.png

Exculsions from Community.png

2 hours ago, thaipo said:

I am sure it has something to do with Software Reporter tool.  Do you know about this and the connection

That is another reason I personally will never use or recommend any Norton product.

As a long owner of a computer repair shop/service, After about 2003-2004 versions of Norton, they started the downward spiral of bloating the software with junk.

Most all AV products are doing the same in my opinion, Since Windows 8 in 2012, I will only use Defender and Malwarebytes my self and on all of my clients computers.

"I am sure it has something to do with Software Reporter tool.  Do you know about this and the connection"   I don't know what you are asking here.  I tried following the instructions here but they are either incomplete or they assume I know more about computers than I know.  Should I try again to remove the Software Reporter tool or just ignore the messages.   This is a fairly recent development too as far as things going wrong.

I use Yahoo Mail.  They recently started ads.  I was using Adblock Plus and they keep telling me to remove it.  With the amount of emails I get and it taking so long to open and send email, it is eating up too much time.  Then I see that if I don't double click a link or start a new email, I can read and delete emails I don't have to reply to very quickly with Adblock Plus on.  Then Malwarebyts gave me their ad blocker and it blocks the ads in Yahoo Mail but after a short time this gets very slow.  I have blocked close to 2300 ads today.  The mail is very slow now.  I use Chrome and twice today I emptied the Browsing History, Download History, Cached images and files.  I don't know what to do with Site Settings (have 71 of these) and Cookies and other site data. (have from 358 sites).  When in Thailand, I get a special cookie from Vanguard.  If I don't have the cookie, I can not sign in.  Will the computer speed up with the Site Settings and the Cookies and other site data deleted.  Everything with Yahoo is slow for me.  What do you recommend that I do??   One attachment.

Clear Browsing data..png

I use Yahoo Mail.  They recently started ads.  I was using Adblock Plus and they keep telling me to remove it.

Of course they do. They want you to subscribe to their ad free email service. I actually subscribe to Yahoo business email and since I pay them yearly I do not have any issues.

and the Cookies

Cookies are harmless. I have not deleted any cookies in years. Buy people will argue about privacy issues with them and PERSONALLY I do not care on any computer I own.

I use Chrome

I use Firefox and though I have Chrome and the new Edge installed, I only use Firefox for 99.9% of web browsing.

Adblock Plus

I stopped using them when they started to allow some AD's by default few years ago in favor of UBlock Origin.

I set Storage Sense on all computers on the following settings.

2020-06-03_21h35_32.png

All modern web browsers have options to block cookies if desired, and removing cookies after the fact is pointless as they have already been used to track your activities at that point.  The only way to truly defeat tracking cookies is to block them.  Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocks many tracking servers for this reason, to safeguard privacy.  Beyond that you could try a tool such as Spywareblaster or the Immunize function in Spybot Search & Destroy, however I have not personally used either in some time as they are both quite dated and not as useful as they once were when browsers were less secure than they are now.

Edited by exile360

1 minute ago, exile360 said:

Beyond that you could try a tool such as Spywareblaster or the Immunize function in Spybot Search & Destroy, however I have not personally used either in some time as they are both quite dated and not as useful as they once were when browsers were less secure than they are now.

I have not used those mostly since Win 98. A few times during the XP era. Useless today and just overkill that can lead to conflicts with other security software.

I used to be a FireFox only browser user but it is much slower than Chrome.  Takes forever for anything to come up for me.  Forget IE.  But I do have to use it for one service is use for trading stock.  Other than this, all Chrome.

This morning the Yahoo mail was so slow, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.  A heart attack is not far off for me as I have heart disease, had a by-pass 16 years ago and an artificial heart valve 3 years ago.  It would take 20 -30 seconds to open an email, and the same time to sent a reply.  Could not scroll my list.  I finally called the number where you can sign up for Yahoo Mail Pro for $4.99 a month just to blast someone.  The rep went to see if she could give it to me for free and was told NO.  Then all of a sudden with chest pains and cussing like hell the email got very fast.  How can this be?  Hang up and a minute latter back to the slowness.  I even turn off Malwarebyts ad block to see if it got better.  It did not.

So, I went out against the advise of the heart doctor in the heat and high humidity and PUSH Mowed my front lawn.  I do this to prove that I can still do it.

Sorry to say but I went to dinner and when I came back to the computer and woke it up, chrome disappeared and when I clicked to open Chrome, the computer re-booted itself.  I don't know if this is a one time thing or if it will get worse.  Just thought I would tell you.

I have two other responses here from you but don't know if a response is required.  Thanks for your time. No attachments.  thaipo

Mostly Yahoo Mail but later today, I was having slowness with (I can't remember) but what ever it was, it was not slow before.  Next time I am going to check my speed.  I have Verizon and when I first hooked up a few years ago the technician told me I was lucky because all the support equipment to my home was new and the latest.  In Thailand, a 3rd rate country, my Internet is 100 Mbs and costs me a little over $200 for the year as I pay for a year up front.  But I just want into my home that has been empty for up to 7 months turn on my laptop and I have the Internet.  Just this year they are allowing me to turn it off for 6 months and add the time to the end of my contract.  At some point, I won't have to pay for the time I am in Thailand. 

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Is it only Yahoo mail that is slow in Chrome or everything?

Reason I asked some are having issues with the current version of Malwarebytes, Disable web protection for a couple of days and see if that helps the speed.

Porthos - Sorry to report but I am still getting the unwanted reboots.  Today was one right after another.  Saturday I had 4 re-boots in about 5 hours.  Maybe Monday, one re-boot was with only Chrome open with two windows.  Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Finance.  ACER doesn't want to talk to me but I am calling them and telling them that I have worked with Community help and the problem persists.

8 minutes ago, thaipo said:

Porthos - Sorry to report but I am still getting the unwanted reboots.  Today was one right after another.  Saturday I had 4 re-boots in about 5 hours.  Maybe Monday, one re-boot was with only Chrome open with two windows.  Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Finance.  ACER doesn't want to talk to me but I am calling them and telling them that I have worked with Community help and the problem persists.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep all Protection enabled. The restart issue should stop.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

image.png.c9529adfd9dc2fb651b2abe3bb5aca7d.png

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.