Windows 10 2004 Update Fails at 91%

Greetings

In updating my 4 PC's - 3 laptops one Desktop - all failed loading the Windows 10 2004 update at 91% and reverted back to the 1909 feature enhancement. Two laptops are Lenovo, 1 laptop and the desktop HP.   Has this been observed by other users?

Removing Malwarebytes 4.1 allowed the 2004 Update to load without a hitch. I am now hesitant to install MBAB 4.1 back on any box until the issue is resolved. 

Sorry, but I have no log files to indicate the failure and was not thinking fast enough to even get a screenshot of the error. I see in other forums the "resolving host" error that I also had with the 1909 Feature Update

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

MisterWeather

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Good morning,  @MRWeeden   

Sorry that you have encountered trouble.   Please be sure to run the Malwarebytes Support tool on each of your pc's  & attach those for review.

Look at details   above   ( under Advanced options).   Later on, if needed, I can guide you to getting the Malwarebytes 4.1.1 Beta.

Sorry for your trouble.   It may be due to possibly having a old BIOS  or perhaps some underlying infection.

I have been running the Windows 2004 build ( in different iterations) for months along with Malwarebytes 4.x

Post your reports & we will get you all squared away.

Greetings

Find attached 2 .log files related to the reboot

Also the mbst zip file

The smaller file is from the failed reboot, the larger file from the successful loading of Win 10 2004 after uninstalling MalwareBytes

mbst-grab-results.zip setupapi.dev.log setupapi.dev.log

Hi.   Thank you so much for the reports.  We can do one pc at a time.

I am glad to see this HP is on Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 19041.264 (X64)

I notice Windows Defender is the resident antivirus.    That is fine.

I notice Windows System Restore is disabled.    So lets get that Enabled.   Do the enable using this how to

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/99782-enable-disable-system-restore-windows.html

[   2   ]

I am going to lead you on some other "precaution" measures, just in case.

Enable use of F8 function key   ( so if needed, you can get to Advanced boot menu in a pinch).   This helps if you ever get to some point where OS booting needs special help.

On the Windows taskbar ,  on the Windows search box,  type in

cmd.exe

and then look at the entire list of choices, and click on Run as Administrator.

It is best to  use COPY & Paste for the following.

At the prompt either type or copy/paste the following commands, tap  Enter-key after each command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

tap Enter-key when ready to proceed.   When done, close the Command window.

[   3  ]

The next steps are to do a new setup of Malwarebytes for Windows and immediately to get that set for the beta version 4.1.1  which will do better on your machines.

Have patience when doing this.    The end result is worth the doing.

The Malwarebytes setup file is already on the Downloads folder.   We can use that.

If you start it and the Windows Smartscreen has a message about it,  we need to have you take these options:

click line *More info* information on that screen and click button *Run anyway* on next screen._ 

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run. 

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose *Run anyway*. 

So locate mbsetup.exe  & do a Right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.   Keep the tip above in mind.

Follow the prompts in the Malwarebytes setup.

Once after this setup is done,  now we need to get the program onto version 4.1.1   with the latest updates.

Start Malwarebytes.

Click the settings  ( gear icon)  off the top right corner.

Then look at the tab "General".   Then scroll down to "Beta updates".

On that line,  click it so that the radio button is to the far right.

Next, scroll back up to the section "Application updates".

Look for the blue color "Check for Updates".   Click on that.   Watch for update messages,   Follow the prompts.

If the updates to the program for Component package 1.0.931  doe not show,  then at the Top of the next Clock hour,  then repeat the Check for updates.

You can view which program component & version of Malwarebytes by click the About tab.

If it has the very latest beta, it should show  version 4.1.1.71    and  component package 1.0.931

Edited by Maurice Naggar
correct typo

I overlooked one extra final step    ( after you have done all above).

This is just to get Windows Defender antivirus to be the main resident antivirus.

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that needs to be off.     The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

Close Malwarebytes when done.

• Root Admin

Please follow along with @Maurice Naggar instructions. The following is just additional information for those following along or reading.

Known issues and notifications - Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004
Find information on known issues and the status of the rollout for Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4089834/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-updating

Hello @MisterWeather    

How are things ?

I am stopping by to mention about "resolving hosts" situation with browser (s)   that you referred to in your first post.

For that,  you may want to check out this set of tips

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257096-problem-with-chromemalwarebytes-and-resolving-host/?do=findComment&comment=1386296

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Dave49 said:

The feature update 2004 fails at 91% on reboot. It happens in a PE situation, so how can any windows program interfere with the update?

Open Malwarebytes and turn off start with Windows and then exit MB from the system tray and try the upgrade to 2004 again.

I have seen the 91% issue 3 times already with clients.

2020-08-28_12h14_01.png

Quit MB.png

• Root Admin

If you are booting from a USB or DVD drive to install the Windows 10 build 2004 then none of the current drivers are in memory and cannot prevent an install.

You may need to look at the logs
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-event-logs

One thing I would try is running a disk check on the main hard drive.

CHKDSK C: /F