Malwarebytes 4.1 freeze wth Windows 10 2004

Thank you for the support-tool-report.  I notice that this pc has Malwarebytes version 4.1.1.71  with the component package 1.0.931   & it is up to date.   Very good.

I notice  that Windows Defender  is ON too.  Very good.

These Exclusions are listed in the Malwarebytes program,  however they need to be all removed.   All of these are "file" exclusions.   They need to be removed from the "allow list".

In the Malwarebytes program,   Click the   Settings  ( gear ) icon.   Then click the ALLOW list tab.

image.png.71b20c09152ff4744e55857177bd9dfa.png

One at a time, click the first line  to get that highlighted   ( meaning to select that line with the mouse )

Then click on the "trash"  icon   on the very far right  side of each line   so it is deleted.   Do each one of these so they are removed.

image.png.b7446873e61e549b93264718626de4a1.png

C:\WINDOWS\SECOH-QAD.EXE                                                                                [file]
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KMSPICO\AUTOPICO.EXE                                                                   [file]
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TASKS\AutoPico Daily Restart                                                        [file]
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KMSPICO\KMSELDI.EXE                                                                    [file]

C:\Program Files\KMSpico\KMSELDI.exe                                                                    [file]

.   .   .   .

NEXT steps  after that.   Please continue to have much patience.   Go slow / go careful.   The following is more cleanup.

First delete the old copy I had you save on the Downloads folder named Fixlist.txt

We need to delete the old saved copy.   I am attaching a new one for you.

This custom script is for  Cool57    only / for this machine only.
Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

C:\Users\Luis\Downloads

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRSTENGLISH window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

After this run,  I plan to have you run a new scan with the Microsoft Windows Defender.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Fixlist.txt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Maurice.
Yesterday before receiving your last answer, I uninstalled Malwarebytes and reinstalled it in the hope that I could solve the problem, but no ..... everything continues as before.
I want to thank you for your willingness to help, but it seems to me that this issue has to be resolved by the technical staff, since several users report the same problem since the Windows 10 2004 update.
If I connect Malwarebytes and stay working on the pc, everything seems to be going well, but when the pc goes into sleep mode and when I return to it everything blocks, especially the open windows of the brownser and sometimes other programs.
When this happens, restarting the pc takes a long time and is a frustrating situation.
I hope that the technical team will resolve this matter as soon as possible.

Best regards

Posted (edited)

I got your last note.   regret to read that there is still some issue.   No matter who help you,  it would help to have fresh reports from this machine.

One new run with the Malwarebytes Support tool    https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

and one other report:

You should use a tool-applet named Speccy  to see what it can tell about the hardware system.

• Please download Speccy from here and run the installer
  • Be sure to uncheck any checkboxes for any offers for any browsers, toolbars, or anything else it might ask to install other than the program itself (let us know if you have any trouble, and take a screenshot of the page of the installer where you're stuck and post it in your reply before proceeding if necessary)
  • Click on the Customize link in the installer and select the options you desire for icons and whether you want Speccy to inform you of updates (I recommend unchecking this option)
  • Once the installer completes, uncheck the box to view the release notes and click the Run Speccy button
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm; you may now close Speccy and uninstall it if you do not wish to keep it
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

Also, know that Microsoft has identified a few problem drivers / hardware on some systems that upgrade to Windows 10  May 2020  build 2004.

You should look at the list

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#425msgdesc

It includes some Intel iGPU devices, some Conexant brand audio drivers, some Nvidia display drivers  [the affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00.]

Do review the list.

and check with your computer manufacturer for the latest drivers for your hardware.   That is always best practice prior to a Windows OS upgrade.

Another area for checking,  is the Windows 10 Fast startup.   If it is on that can cause issues.

See the MS support article Updates May Not be Installed with Fast Startup in Windows 10.

Sincerely,

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue
  • AdvancedSetup changed the title to PC freezes or stallout
Posted (edited)

Hi.  Good to know that Windows Fast Start is disabled.   Lets keep it that way.

Thank you for the fresh reports.

This is a  machine with a Killer Network card wireless.    We need for you to be very sure your machine has the latest released driver from   the computer manufacturer.

Speccy seems to think this is a HP brand machine.   The F R S T  thinks  it's a Dell.

This machine shows to have Malwarebytes version 4.1.0.56   with the Component package 1.0.931

I would very much like for you to have the Malwarebytes beta version 4.1.1.71   which is newer  and should do better for this machine.

The Malwarebytes  version 4.1.1.71   has improvements and fixes.   My view,  and from what I helped others on, is,   you will do better with the Beta.

Start Malwarebytes.

Click the settings  ( gear icon)  off the top right corner.

Then look at the tab "General".   Then scroll down to "Beta updates".

On that line,  click it so that the radio button is to the far right.

Next, scroll back up to the section "Application updates".

Look for the blue color "Check for Updates".   Click on that.   Watch for update messages,   Follow the prompts.

If the updates to the program for Version 4.1.1.71  doe not show,  then at the Top of the next Clock hour,  then repeat the Check for updates.

You can view which program component & version of Malwarebytes by click the About tab.

If it has the very latest beta, it should show  version 4.1.1.71    and  component package 1.0.931

Now after doing that,  allow some time for things to settle in.

If after that,  there are some issues of web browser stalls or having issues....I would like for you to turn something off, one at a time, in Malwarebytes.

First, just start out by turning OFF the Ransomware protection.    ( the Real-time protection pane  on the right).   Click it all the way to the Left  ( for Off).

Then lets see if the situation with web browsers  & Windows is more normal.

If later on things have not improved, then go back into Malwarebytes, & then turn off the Web protection.   and lets see if that helps.

Note, the remaining real-time Premium protections will still be on  & protecting the machine.

Go to the https://support.hp.com

IF  Your machine is a HP  

IF on the other hand it is a Dell  go to  https://support.dell.com

Just please be sure that the Killer Network card has latest driver.   Also any other hardware driver as well.

I know that each of these hardware manufacturers has a applet on their machine to do driver checks & the like to get latest.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
correct typo

Hello again and thanks for contacting.

The PC is a Dell XPS 13 9960.

The Killer Network driver was updated on the advice of a forum member at the beginning of this topic.

For your indication I already installed the beta version of Malwarebytes and deactivated the features one by one to try to know which one is responsible for the problem.
All without working.

Then I did a clean install of the latest version of Malwarebytes (not Beta) and for the moment it is like that ... without resolution.

That being said , it strikes me as strange that the topic name was changed without my consent, since it referred to something like "Malwarebytes problem after the 2004 update of windows 10"  (or something like that)  when star the thread.
I don't know what is causing this problem.
I just know that if i turn Malwarebytes off everything works fine.

The title of the topic is misleading since it was changed and does not reflect the intention of the reason why I created it.

This is strange to me and i dont understand why .

Please be sure that Windows 10 "fast start" is not enabled.   A different user just reported turning that off  & his machine is now doing well.

See the how-to   https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

As far as the subject line,  I have requested that it be changed the way you last wrote.

At this point,  I am going to bow out of this case.  I do wish you all the best.  I will ask  for someone else to resume with this case, if needed.

Ok. thanks.

Fast start-up is not enable.

I think i'm just wait  for some update to solve the problem and turn off malwarebytes....otherwise i will became nuts!

Hello @cool57

I will go ahead and attempt to assist you. It is quite possible that some type of hardware or software combination simply just will not work on your system and we will get some dump files for our QA team to review if that becomes the case.

You can go ahead and remove all current logs if you like. We do not require any of the old logs or programs at this time. We will use new ones if or when needed.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Malwarebytes 4.1 freeze wth Windows 10 2004

Please use the MBST tool to uninstall Malwarebytes at this time. Do not reinstall when asked. Decline the option when asked to reinstall for now.

Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Restart the computer and then run the following fix. If Windows Defender or Smart Screen attempts to stop or block the tool then tell it go ahead proceed and allow it.

If you have any open tabs on the browser that you want please make sure to bookmark them and that you know your passwords for all sites. This script will delete all cookies, cache, and temp files and empty the Recycle bin. It will also check and verify that all Microsoft files are valid and not corrupt. It will then also restart the computer and run a disk check to ensure the validity of your data integrity for the hard drive. Depending on the speed of the computer it may take 30 minutes or more to complete these tasks.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Unfortunately, the problem remains.
The situation happens when the internet browser freezes without warning (with Malwarebytes on).
Then while this happens several pc menus freeze as well.
The solution I find is to shut down Malwarebytes and restart the internet connection.
With Malwarebytes turned off this does not happen.
I emphasize that this situation can happen randomly, that is, I can use it without problems for 2 or 3 hours and suddenly it happens.
It typically happens when the pc returns from sleep mode, but it can happen beyond this particular situation.
Anyway, when the last freeze I consulted the event viewer and it registered the following warning (no error) that happened exactly when the pc froze:

Event 10016 DistributedCom

"The permission settings for the specific application (s) do not contain the permission settings for the specific application (s)
applications do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the SID (S-1-5-21-535476059-2776954838-352652375-1001) of user DESKTOP-T8KRS0O \ Luis from the address
LocalHost (With LRPC) running on SID (Unavailable) of application container Unavailable.
This security permission can be
modified using the Component Services administrative tool. "

This information started to appear since the Windows 10 2004 update.

I hope it helps.

Thank you.

Hello.
I have some new clues as to what may be causing this
problem which is the following:
Usually in Malwarebytes settings I have the setting "always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Defender action center" disabled.
This morning I tried to activate that setting (which I did) and the problems disappeared after a reboot.
However I noticed that when I select in Windows Defender the option "Continue to perform periodic analyzes" the button that you select is blue (selected) ... but when I close the Windows Defender window ...that setting reverts back .... Windows Defender not memorizes that command, which means that only Malwarebytes is monitoring the PC.
I do not know if this can help ... but it could be some conflict between both, because previously when I selected that setting, it remained activated ... which it does not happen now.

I hope some of this can help.

Thanks!

Please turn off Fast Startup

How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

If this is a Desktop I would suggest turning off Hibernate as well which can often be problematic

How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

Open Malwarebytes, go to Settings, Security and uncheck "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center" and Windows Defender should work alongside Malwarebytes without an issue.

Then restart the computer and let me know if the issue is resolved or not.

Hello.

Its a laptop Dell XPS 13 9960.

Both ....fast startup and hibernate are disable for a long time.

I  already uncheck the "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center"

Ps- I search the internet and i found severall cases of Google Chrome crashings since the windows 2004 update related for various users which is what hapens to me.

The funny thing is the fact  that if i disable Malwerebytes the problems goes away.

Hello.
I still have the same problem despite having made all the attempts suggested to me by the technical staff.
There is in fact an unresolved problem that involves Malwarebytes on some machines and that appeared after the Windows 10 2004 update.
Yesterday during the last freeze / crash of the system the CPU usage was 100% ... the windows of the brownser freeze and it takes some time until the situation reverts to normal.
I ended up shutting down Malwarebytes and everything is going well.
My PC has all the drivers updated ... it is relatively new and everything worked fine until that Windows 10 update.
I want to thank everyone who tried to help but in fact the problem is real, it involves Malwarebytes and the 2004 Windows update and remains unresolved.
I hope it will be resolved soon.
If you wish, you can end the topic.

Best regards!

Hello.
I can say that after almost a day of use, the cause of the problem of freezing the PC goes away with the option of ramsonware disabled (as other users claim).
I do not consider this a fix because it is a Premium product and having to live with a red triangle saying: "Attention ... you are not completely protected) annoying me.
But Malwarebytes seems to be able to run this way without crashing.
I hope this can help technicians to solve this problem.
Thank you

Yes, thank you. We are certainly aware that some users are having an issue. Unfortunately there were not enough users on Microsoft beta for this issue to have been found and addressed before the release from Microsoft. We are actively working on the issue as we obviously want our product to work on your system as well.

These "changes, recommendations" are used as a hopeful workaround until we are able to track down the real cause and then work on an update to correct it.

If you simply cannot wait you can always rollback the 2004 update and then pause it. Hopefully though that won't be necessary and we can find and fix this before too long.

Thank you