Malwarebytes 4.1 freeze wth Windows 10 2004

Hello.

This happens to me too.

In my Pc i just use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium (last version).

Randomly Pc freezes and if i turn out Malwarebytes the problem goes away.

It took me lots a time to understand that is Malwarebytes causes that problem.

This happens since i update for Windows 10 version 2004.

I hope a fix come soon.

Best regards!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

As you request i made a new post and attach the zip log file .

In my Pc i just use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium (last version).

Randomly Pc freezes and if i turn out Malwarebytes the problem goes away.

It took me lots a time to understand that is Malwarebytes causes that problem.

This happens since i update for Windows 10 version 2004.

I hope a fix come soon.

I attach zip log file

Best regards!

mbst-grab-results.zip

Greetings,

Please begin by testing to determine which protection component of Malwarebytes is causing the issue.  To do so, right-click the Malwarebytes tray icon and click on each protection component one at a time to disable it and see if you can narrow down the issue to a single protection module.  It is most likely either Web Protection or Ransomware Protection so I would suggest testing disabling each of those first.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

You're welcome :)

I also noticed your system has a Killer Networking card in it.  Some of their older drivers are known to cause problems with Malwarebytes so I would recommend downloading and installing the latest software/drivers for your device from their support site located here.  Once the new driver is installed be sure to restart the system and see if it helps.

Good morning @cool57

I notice in the FRST report a virus dropper  (sometimes called Artemis by some security vendors )   Service_KMS.exe

That should be removed.

I am arranging to move your case over to the malware removal section so that you and I can arrange to clean that out.

Good morning @cool57   

I moved your case so that we can remove a virus dropper.   You will want to close any open work files, documents before doing the next custom procedure.

There are 2 files and one service associated to the virus dropper that need to be removed.

This custom script is for  Cool57    only / for this machine only.
Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRSTENGLISH window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

[    2    ]

This step is to do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

I would like you to do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.  One of the major goals here is to have it remove all that it detects.  If it finds anything that is.

Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.

Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Then click the Security tab.   Look for the section "Automatic Quarantine".   Be sure it is clicked On   ( to the far right side)

Then scroll down to the section Potentially Unwanted items.   We need the next 2 lines   ( for P U P  & for P U  M)  to be set to "Always ( Recommended) ".

You can make the change by clicking on the down-arrow selection list-control.   We want all P U P  &  P U M to be marked for removal.

Next, click the small x on the Settings line   to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.

Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

You can actualy click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

And let me know how the overall situation is at this point.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Fixlist.txt

Note:   Case for Cool57 moved over to malware removal-help section.  That pc has a infection situation.

Hello Maurice.

I attached the 2 files you request.

I got all that you mention done.

I must said that i'm miles away from being some expert in this things but... i guess that file you mention is related to activation of Office.

I think i have some files in the Malwarebytes exclusions....and that one could be one of them.

However, i run the scans and attached the files.

I i have to say that the issue just start with the Windows 10 2004 update.

I can exclude the itens in exclusion tab...but i guess i'm gonna loose the Office activation.

In that case i should run the tool again (after exclude the files).

Regards!

I

Fixlog.txt Scan.txt

The KMS file  Service_KMS.exe is an infector.

You can see the analysis report at Virustotal   ( a security community resource) that shows 45 different engines have flagged it as riskware / a hack tool

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/b8410b5779dedd500494022ee0ce4a653489acc1f84d0b0f5571245d98d4abde/detection/f-b8410b5779dedd500494022ee0ce4a653489acc1f84d0b0f5571245d98d4abde-1590651397

AutoPico.exe  flagged by 47 engines  as trojan / hacktool

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/b611ad775a2d46ce305ad5f2f26891a640e23d0a209431f45152b4875f43c13d/detection/f-b611ad775a2d46ce305ad5f2f26891a640e23d0a209431f45152b4875f43c13d-1590084590

Hack tools  ( like the 2 cited above)  will often be bundled along with malicious malware  & worse,  with ransomwares.

The Fix run did its task.  That is a very very worthwhile run.   Thanks for the reports.

We need to do some other different scans to insure there is not something else laying out of a malicious nature.

Please have patience.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Hello.

I didn't run the Microsoft Safety Scanner yet, but i'm shure the files are related to activation of the Microsoft Office.

That being said, yesterday i turn off the Malwarebytes completely and since that moment the freezing issues of the brownser and ohter freezing issues in the pc are gone.

I'm 100% shure now that there is some problem with Malwarebytes and Windows 10 2004 update.

I could not realize wich Malwarebytes component is the responsable for the issue...soo at the moment  i cannot use Malwarebytes.

I hope someone in the technical team can look at the problem.

Log files are posted above.

Best regards!

Good morning.   Please know I am here to help.   It is unfortunate that the Windows update experience was such as it was.   But that is past.

I understand your views.   Just please know that you can have a better installation.   The version 4.1.1.71    and  component package 1.0.931

Just so you know,  another customer who had a very much similar case  ( Skier ) successfully installed version 4.1.1   & is doing well.

Here is the link  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260216-windows-10-v2004-and-malwarebytes-41/?do=findComment&comment=1384833

Start Malwarebytes.

Click the settings  ( gear icon)  off the top right corner.

Then look at the tab "General".   Then scroll down to "Beta updates".

On that line,  click it so that the radio button is to the far right.

Next, scroll back up to the section "Application updates".

Look for the blue color "Check for Updates".   Click on that.   Watch for update messages,   Follow the prompts.

If the updates to the program for Component package 1.0.931  doe not show,  then at the Top of the next Clock hour,  then repeat the Check for updates.

You can view which program component & version of Malwarebytes by click the About tab.

If it has the very latest beta, it should show  version 4.1.1.71    and  component package 1.0.931

NEXT

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that should set to  off.     The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

Close the Settings section by closing the small x.

On the main screen, look to insure that all real-time protections are ON.

Close Malwarebytes when done.

Keep me advised. 

Hello Maurice.

Thanks for trying help.

I updated for The version 4.1.1.71    and  component package 1.0.931

Now i need some time to see if the issue are gone.

I leave feedback later.

Regards!

Posted (edited)

That is great.     :bounce:        :bananas:          :guitar:               I look forward to your feedback.

Meanwhile, Can we get a fresh report from this machine for review.   The report tool FRSTENGLISH is on the Downloads folder.

Go to the Downloads folder using Windows File Explorer.

Right-click on FRSTENGLISH   and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 10 users may be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5d47975010636d1d032768cefa8d6625.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hello again.

Unfortunately the situation remains despite having upgraded to the Beta version.
I had to shut down Malwarebytes again in order to use the pc.
If I try to do a clean installation of Malwarebytes what is the correct procedure?

Thanks!

Before we do anything,   describe more of this current event ?  what has happened /  what do you see  ?  is it a stall or freeze issue ?

plus

please run the FRSTENGLISH  report   and attach.   That is a big help for diagnosis.

Well.....the thing is when i restart the pc everythink looks good, but after a while... all the open internet windows start to freeze, like when the internet connection goes down.

In that moment some aplication seems to freeze too ...and i have to wait ...lets say...4 ou 5 minutes until the situation reverts back.

Then...if i dont use the pc for some time and camne back to it...the all thing start again...the freezing...the messages says "this program are not responding" etc.

The tool bar can freeze too...and soo on.

Then...i have to wait other 4 or 5 minutes until the situation turns normal.

If i close Malwarebytes....the problems stop...

PS- i dont think i have the FRSTENGLISH  Link.

Just only as a temporary measure,  turn off the Web Protection  in Malwarebytes program.

Start Malwarebytes.   Look on the first screen.

The report tool is already on this machine     C:\Users\Luis\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe

Hello again. 

Even with the web protection disable the freezing issue comes again.

I have to turn of Malwarebytes again.

Sorry, i'm allready a litle tired....i cant find C:\Users\Luis\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe.

Maybe i deleted the file?

Stay strong.   Have much patience.   I think / I guess you use the Chrome browser.   Try instead to close the Chrome browser & instead use the EDGE browser.

and look real close on the folder   C:\Users\Luis\Desktop   when using the Windows File Explorer.

You have a report tool there named    mb-support-1.6.1.784.exe

Double-click mb-support-1.6.1.784.exe  to run the report

Once it starts, you will see a first screen with 2 buttons.  Click the one on the left marked "I don't have an open support ticket".

You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next

Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK.  Then Exit the tool.

Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Here is the zip file.

Maybe you can find the service KMS.exe file because he still in my pc.

I know that can be dangerous but its not the cause of the problem.

Thanks.

Ps- the tool runs with the web protection of Malwarebytes enable.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Malwarebytes 4.1 freeze wth Windows 10 2004