Support tool cannot gather logs

Aloha. This is the 3rd forum I'm posting this to. Hopefully I've finally found the correct place for my problem.

I'm trying to get the Malwarebytes Support Tool to run.  My original intent was to gather logs as I was looking for something. This original issue has been resolved, but I could never get the Support Tool to run. I run the Support Tool, click on Advanced Options, then click Gather Logs.  And it just sits there with the spinning logo. No error messages (that I could find). I gave up after 5 minutes, maybe I need to let it run longer?  Anyway, I would like to get this tool working in case I actually need it at some point in the future for a problem.

This is on Windows 10 x64 V1909 with all maintenance installed. Support Tool mb-support-1.6.1.784.exe

Mahalo,

Harry Z

Aloha @AdvancedSetup. ESET has been uninstalled from my PC. Same problem - the tool hangs at the 'Collect Logs' phase.

I did notice something interesting, as pointed out in one of my other threads. When looking at the Security Center section of Addition.txt, ESET is still listed there a couple of times. This is AFTER uninstalling ESET using the normal Settings -> Apps process, and also running the ESET Manual uninstall program and rebooting. Let me know if I need to resolve this anomaly, and how to do it.  If this isn't worth spending time on, then what's next in figuring out why the support tool is not running?

==================== Security Center ========================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, it will be removed.)

AV: Windows Defender (Enabled - Up to date) {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
AV: ESET Security (Enabled - Up to date) {EC1D6F37-E411-475A-DF50-12FF7FE4AC70}
AS: ESET Security (Disabled - Up to date) {577C8ED3-C22B-48D4-E5E0-298D0463E6CD}
AS: Malwarebytes (Disabled - Up to date) {98619B37-4FC4-67F2-1C99-EEF6D47DBD96}
AS: Windows Defender (Disabled - Up to date) {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
FW: ESET Firewall (Enabled) {D426EE12-AE7E-4602-F40F-BBCA8137EB0B}

Mahalo,

Harry Z

3 minutes ago, HarryZ said:

@Porthos - no change after turning off ransomware

Just a thought from reading another topic and seeing my self on my computer with 2004. I told you I was going to experiment.

I need to try it on my 1909 computer when I get time before I upgrade this weekend.

Edited by Porthos

• Root Admin

The topic has been moved to the Malware Removal forum so that I can assist you further @HarryZ

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

I would recommend that you go to Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a program and uninstall the following

Bonjour
McAfee Virtual Technician

Why You Shouldn’t Download CCleaner for Windows anymore

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

Here’s What You Should Use Instead of CCleaner
https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

What is this for?
D:\Haole Boy\Other tools\SDIO\autoupdate.bat

Please run the following fix.
NOTE: It will close all applications and clear all web browser cache and cookies. If you have open tabs you've not saved or bookmarked please do so. Ensure you know passwords for your websites too. It will empty the Recycle bin and delete all temporary files as well. Then it will run a scan to verify all Microsoft files are valid and not corrupted.Then on reboot, it will run a disk check to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of the computer it may take 30 minutes or more to complete the task.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Aloha @AdvancedSetup

Ran FRST as requested. Fixlog.txt attached. Also attached the chkdsk output from the event log.

Deleting those two programs did not change anything. 

SDIO is "Snappy Driver Installer Origin" - a device driver update program (link). Only one I've found that does not serve up ads or malware. Generally recommended over at TechNibble.

I will keep CCleaner. Don't like any of the alternatives mentioned in the article. Plus I have CCleaner installed on a few hundred customer's machines. I need to see what it's doing in case I get calls about it.

Ran Support Tool after running FRST  with the fix list and rebooting.  Had to step away from the machine while it was running, and came back to the GUI showing 'Collect Logs' and 'Run FRST' with green checkmarks and  this message: "We were unable to create mbst-grab-results.zip, please notify Malwarebytes Support".  I have a vague recollection that I've seen this before, so I'm not sure if I have just not been patient enough to let Support Tool run, or something has changed on my system.  Before opening this thread, I let support tool run for 5 minutes at the 'Collect Logs' stage before cancelling it. On my other PC the Collect Logs stage took about 5 seconds, so I figured it was hung or looping. 

What's next?

Harry Z

chkdsk output.txt Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

Aloha @HarryZ

Can you check your Event Logs and see if there is anything in Security indicating why the program may have been stopped.

At this point I may have to have someone from QA take a look and possibly try to get some memory dumps or other scans to track this down.

If you can't  find any smoking gun in the Event Logs let me know and I'll ping QA to assist assuming you have time to assist further.

Thank you for your help

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Aloha @AdvancedSetup. Removing File Assassin has fixed the problem!  Mahalo for your assistance!  Unless you have something else for me to do, then I consider this 'Solved'.

One item left to take care of.  I got bounced around the forums trying to locate the forum that provides support for Support Tool. Can you update the page with the list of forums to indicate which one is the correct one for MBST issues.

Mahalo!

Harry Z

• Root Admin

maikaʻi loa ʻoe @HarryZ as for the forum for MBST support. We don't actually have a dedicated forum for it. In general, the majority of topics start out at least in this forumhttps://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-for-windows-support-forum

From there if needed it is triaged and suggested for moving elsewhere or answered where it's posted.

The following topic has information and links to help users keep their systems clean and data protected. Please bookmark and review as you have time.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/

Take care and stay safe out there and have a great weekend too

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you