hiren boot cd/flash pen drive and link for download ?

FYI there may be a reason the Seagate drive is so inexpensive.  Just sayin'.

I also checked Amazon and it shows the drive as having just a 2 year warranty which is really short for an internal drive, though such may be typical for an external model given the use case.

Edited by exile360

• Root Admin

Yes, I've seen that report before. But today you really only have about 2 choices. Seagate, and Western Digital the other vendors left in the game I really wouldn't buy myself.

The days of a hard drive lasting in a server for 10 years are gone. But so are those capacities of a few GB. With the rise of high capacity the failure rates have increased. I have had a few of the Western Digital drives go bad on me in the 2TB size that are similar to the Seagate. I have 3 of these 5TB drives and a handful of the 4TB ones and so far I've not had any of them fail. I did have the controller fail on one but I ripped it out of the covering and the hard drive itself is still working and tests just fine. But your point showing this article should not be overlooked by people, rather it should be a reminder that all hard drives can fail at any time and even without warning. If any of the data on the drive is not also on another drive then that is not a backup. Why I have multiple drives so that in case one does die I have at least one or more copies of the data depending on how important the data is.

Yep, I'm still waiting for flash storage capacities to go through the roof and the prices to hit the floor (as they always do in technology) and I'm hopeful the upcoming crop of dedicated PCIe 4.0 spec NVMe controllers will be more robust/cooler running to finally eliminate the heat issue that hinders the highest performance PCIe gen 3 drives (though it is better on the latest models than in the past).  Modern flash storage is pretty robust, though it is still susceptible to hot and cold temperatures impacting its longevity (flash memory actually likes to run hot; it's the controller chips on the drives that cause thermal throttling and thermal failure, though failures due to heat are rare because of the built in throttling functionality).  I look forward to the day I can buy a high capacity, high speed USB 3.x/4.x external drive using an NVMe drive/interface internally for a reasonable price.  Super fast drives a little bigger than a pack of gum with high capacities and long lifespans sounds good to me.

Just now, Porthos said:

Also many of the WD passports are encrypted on/by the usb controller. They can not just be extracted from the case and accesed any other way if the controller dies. That is why I stick with Segate.

Yep, their hardware encryption is why I tend to avoid WD's external drives unless they have an option not to use/require the hardware chip function (I guess it's optional on their My Book series?).  I don't buy anything that isn't solid state these days as far as storage goes though.  Using laptops like I do and not liking to have to use hubs and the like, ports are at a premium and I don't have the available socket to power another AC adapter so I stick with drives that just plug into a single USB port for power and data which rules out any drive with a spinning platter except low powered SATA 5400 RPM 2.5" based externals which are slow compared to flash storage drives, not to mention less reliable, at least compared to big name models that use decent components.

• Root Admin

This 5TB drive uses a single USB port and yes it is a 5400 RPM drive. But for cheap backup it works well for me. Anything in the 4 or 5 TB range in SSD is going to be well beyond my breaking point on the wallet. $$$ a 4TB is upwards of $600 so I can buy 6 of these Seagate 5TB for that same price.

https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/barracuda-fam/barracuda-new/files/barracuda-2-5-ds1907-1-1609us.pdf