I realize this thread is old, but it isn't locked, so I'm adding info.

The thing that appears to be adware is not, it is simply an extension that comes pre-installed. Just open settings and extensions and disable it or delete it altogether.

Wanted to add this inc case others found this thread as I did.

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree.  If the information found on Wikipedia regarding the bundling of the likes of Ask.com is accurate then I would definitely classify it as adware (as well as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program)):

Criticism[edit]

Bundling of unwanted software[edit]

Torch Media receives payments from companies like Ask.com to bundle potentially unwanted programs with the browser. Users may be asked to install search toolbars or adware programs during installation. These bundled programs commonly do one or more of the following things:

• Change the user's browser homepage to a page with ads
  • Change the user's default search engine
  • Prevent the user from changing their homepage and default search engine
  • Collect and upload data about the user's internet browsing behavior
  • Add toolbars to the user's browsers
  • Inject advertisements into websites that are visited by the user

While this practice is deemed controversial by some, users are given a chance to opt out of sponsored software and Torch claims to work fine without it.[16]

Torch makes contradictory claims about the software they bundle. Their online troubleshooter claims that "Torch does not install additional toolbars" while at the same time stating that "the Torch installer may include an optional Ask.com toolbar" on another page.[17]

Edited by exile360

My point is, it's not like they are trying to hide anything. You can easily disable it in settings. 

I've had none of the actions listed here occur in my Torch. There was one that sometimes would open another tab when clicking a link, but I just disabled it.

Of course you can disable it, however bundleware and built in web browsing data tracking and advertising are all individually reason enough to classify an item as PUP.

If nothing is wrong then it would pass all scans by all antivirus engines as well as review for PUP behavior, etc.

Are we blocking it? Please post relevant scan or protection log with the detection please.