exile360

Alyx to Virtuality, a Virtual Revolution

With the next gen consoles ramping up to their ship dates later this year, and the recent resurgence of VR and its sudden emergence in the consumer space on the largest scale that it has ever been (though it still seems like a niche at this point), I am convinced the new consoles will bring with them a massive shift towards making VR a mainstream platform, especially with the likes of Valve simultaneously pushing VR on the PC side of things.

The following videos cover the history of VR as well as indepth reviews of Valve's recently released and much anticipated Half-Life sequel, the VR title known as Half-Life: Alyx which they are likely hoping will do for VR what past Half-Life titles did for PC graphics and gaming in the past, and while I am certain they will expand the market for VR, I do not believe it will be the absolute home run that their previous titles (as well as many of the games built on the same engines used by them) were, however I believe both Microsoft and Sony, and eventually Nintendo too, will be pushing VR for their new consoles and that it will be VR, not real-time ray-tracing, that will define the upcoming console generation and will be what it is remembered for, even more so than the massive increase in storage throughput that Sony and several tech analysts have been praising as the big innovation that will have the most impact on the upcoming generation.

The Holodeck is near

Sorry that is click-bait. Not even close to what is presented on the Holodeck on TV show Star Trek. It might be much faster game video but the Holodeck has 100% pure indistinguishable human characters and even life like interaction feeling with the scenery. Pick any subject in your mind and it is instantly reproduced by the computer to include lifelike mountains, caves, oceans, forests, etc, etc.

19 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Sorry that is click-bait. Not even close to what is presented on the Holodeck on TV show Star Trek. It might be much faster game video but the Holodeck has 100% pure indistinguishable human characters and even life like interaction feeling with the scenery. Pick any subject in your mind and it is instantly reproduced by the computer to include lifelike mountains, caves, oceans, forests, etc, etc.

Yes, I'm with you on that one.  He gets carried away by his personal hopes/dreams of a Holodeck being real and loses his objectivity I think.  There is a massive difference between fully interactive, solid, hard-light constructs (think 'Green Lantern's power ring') and the current/upcoming generations of VR/graphics tech.  Fooling the eyes is one thing, but actually creating a fully interactive, tangible reality that you can smell, taste, touch and feel is still a far off dream.

Still, there are a lot of exciting developments in VR and graphics technology right now, and the computing space is due for a major innovation I believe, and while I don't think it will bring the Holodeck to life, I do think we're in for one of the most exciting times in the history of computing and technology and I can't wait to see what's next.

Another issue with the holodeck is the fact that it's essentially non-euclidean (a tiny room can hold numerous people as long as a program is running). Unless the human race figures out how to build non-euclidean structures, the holodeck will never be a thing IMHO.