defbg

Help suspiciously acting Windows 10 laptop

Hello. For the last few days I feel like my laptop is not running correctly and as usually. I am using premium version on my Acer laptop. I scan every day but nothing found. I decided to run a scan in safe mode with networking.

To notice - when I started the laptop in safe mode I didnt have Internet because wifi drivers are disabled. My malwarebytes protections were turned off. I scanned for Threats and 0 found. Right now I'm running a full custom scan + C drive. Please help because I am actually worried. 

Hi,  
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible. 

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.6.1.784.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.
Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.
Thank you,
Sincerely.

I will do it after I finish the scan in safe mode and leave it. 

NOTE:   as much as possible, we need you to have Windows in normal mode.

You had said 

To notice - when I started the laptop in safe mode I didnt have Internet because wifi drivers are disabled.

It may just be that ( perhaps ) a very recent Microsoft KB update is what is at the source of the wifi connection issue.  maybe.

In any event, in Windows 10 you can take action as needed for the Network connectivity  ( either wifi or the internet) by using Windows Settings in Normal mode.

You can always look into Windows Settings to look at the Network status / wifi connection status.
Look on the Start menu  and click the Settings ( gear icon)  and then
Look for the "Network & Internet"
and click that
Then look visually at the network status.
If you see "no connection"
then click on the Show available networks"
which then displays a list of all 'sensed"  networks.

Look for your Network 
then if needed you can click Connect to get reconnected to your home router.

This is to say, if the page shows like anything other than "Your're connected to the internet"
THEN you click on "Show available networks"

I hope this helps

I had troubleshot button and I pressed it. Now I restart the laptop. 

My internet is extremely slow right now. I cant download the tool. 

I am messaging from my phone. 

Do you get some kind of "exception message"  if you try to download ?

What is the default browser that you use ?

Can you try the Edge browser instead ?

I am still struggling to start it normally. My laptop have absolutely never been like this. It restarted for no reason. Now it is loading extremely slowly!? :( I will try to get the tool now from different browser if it loads. I might be wrong but I think i have the exe from long time when I had to use it for other problem but it was different. 

Just let the Windows system take its time to load.   The first important thing is to have it in normal mode.

Now I am gathering logs. Will submit them when ready.

I am suspicious that there is something wrong with my mic. Like a malware using it but dont know how to prove it nor the scans showed anything in the past days.

Other thing I thought about - Right now I am replying from Chrome. My main and mostly used browser is Mozilla. I havent cleaned Mozillas' catche for very long time. Chrome runs much better right now on the laptop. 

My internet connection is full. I have internet in normal mode and the protections of malwarebytes are running. It was in safe mode with network when they didnt run properly. Hope there was no misunderstanding.

As far as any browser you use,  you should Clear  ( delete ) the cache & history on a regular basis.

I got the report file.  Thanks.

Lets go ahead and have you run 2 procedures.   Just go slow, take your time, be careful.

[   1   ]

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

[    2    ]

I would also recommend that you run the Windows built-in CLEANMGR applet, which is the disk and system cleanup applet.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Texting from phone - 

I just finished scanning and found around 15 problems. Malwarebytes asked to restart the system to finish the quarantine. I am doing it now and will attach the file in a bit. 

I need to ask about CLEANMGR applet Disk Clean Up - Wont it completely erase the drive I select ? I dont want to start fresh Windows. Thats what I am trying to avoid as much as possible. Sorry if I am wrong.

I cleaned Mozillas catche. It was almost 1gb. Now after a while new files are quickly created in \cache2 folder of the browser. 

In CLEANMGR  my intent was just to have you clear  ( empty out) temporary files  +  temporary internet files.

I got the Adwcleaner report.   That was a good run.   How are things at this time ?

I used CCleaner to clean a lot of junk and unneeded files. It feels like the laptop is running much better than yesterday. 

I ran adwcleaner scan again and there are 7 new items found. Looks like they are coming back :(

Something suspicious - out of nothing I had AVG antivirus installed on the laptop now. Desktop shortcut appeared. I uninstalled it straight away.