Hi, first let me introduce the way I discovered this issue. I noticed that my memory usage was quite high at the fault of "Malwarebytes Service". So, naturally, I tried to change the memory priority to low (I'm not sure if this is a good idea to do, if it isn't, please let me know). It wouldn't allow me to change the priority because the service was running, I'm assuming (again correct me if I'm wrong). So I tried to end the process from both the task manager and the process tray. It wouldn't let me close it from the task manager, but closing it from the tray seemed to work. After I ended the process from the tray, the process was still eating up memory even though it wasn't appearing in the tray any longer. I went to the Windows Service manager and looked for "Malwarebytes service" and it was perpetually "stopping". I waited 10-15 minutes on this screen waiting for the process to stop like it said it would, and it never did. All of this is to try and change the process priority, so I have two questions: firstly, is it a good idea to even change the process priority in the first place? If so, what level should I put it on? My other question- if it is safe to change the process priority, how do I truly end the service? I've tried restarting my computer multiple times and the same problem keeps occurring. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I love this service, it's the best of it's kind in my opinion; I just can't deal with the memory load. Thank you for your time.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

8 minutes ago, RedFX0311 said:

I noticed that my memory usage was quite high at the fault of "Malwarebytes Service".

What is the usage, Please provide a screen shot.

Below is mine. it is inline with expected value.

2020-05-22_15h33_23.png

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What is the usage, Please provide a screen shot.

Below is mine. it is inline with expected value.

2020-05-22_15h33_23.png

Thank you for the speedy response! I've attached the screenshot, I hope it helps.

mwbram.png

10 minutes ago, RedFX0311 said:

Thank you for the speedy response! I've attached the screenshot, I hope it helps.

That looks about right. What other security programs are on the computer?

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That looks about right. What other security programs are on the computer?

I apologize! I did not see where you said that it was inline with the expected value. My question about the process not truly stopping is still valid. To answer your question, I'm running both Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control along with CCleaner and Simple DNSCrypt. They are all using less than 1% of memory combined. Most of the memory lag is probably due to Chrome if we're being honest here... lol

1 minute ago, RedFX0311 said:

My question about the process not truly stopping is still valid.

The only way to stop it is to exit the program. I would not attempt to alter any settings for the program. I would be more concerned about the "Lenovo" bloatware running on your computer.

Also how much ram is in this system.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The only way to stop it is to exit the program. I would not attempt to alter any settings for the program. I would be more concerned about the "Lenovo" bloatware running on your computer.

Also how much ram is in this system.

Fair enough, I can respect that. In regards to the “Lenovo” program, I’m not quite sure what it is. My computer is a Lenovo laptop and it has been on there since day 1. Do you think it could be something to worry about?

My computer has 8gb of DDR4-3200 ram.

Just now, RedFX0311 said:

My computer is a Lenovo laptop and it has been on there since day 1. Do you think it could be something to worry about?

Of course it was shipped on day one. All manufactures load their tools and other things on a new computer.

As a computer repair provider, I usually remove the OEM bloatware whenever I see it. When I set up a brand new computer I even go to the extreme if clean installing Windows and avoiding the stuff all together.

The software is in your add remove programs and if you wish assistance in removing them please ask.

Are you having actual issues with the computer or are you just in the old school habit of not wanting to use the RAM you paid for? Current versions of Windows manages Ram pretty well.

Just an old school habit I suppose. I also have a gaming rig and whenever a game reaches 60% ram I get a little worried lol. I guess I’m a little misconceited in that sense. 

I should be able to remove the Lenovo software, thanks for the catch!

I really appreciate your help, thank you for your time and effort. I’m sorry you had to deal with my rambling. 

12 minutes ago, RedFX0311 said:

Just an old school habit I suppose. I also have a gaming rig and whenever a game reaches 60% ram I get a little worried lol. I guess I’m a little misconceited in that sense. 

Ram is relativity cheap. Give it what you can afford. Ram is meant to be used not to just sit there idle.

Very true.  If you're a gamer, if you're playing any demanding modern titles I would definitely recommend going with at least 16GB or even 32GB (I'm running the latter) as games are very RAM hungry these days.  Of course if you aren't playing anything intensive then it doesn't matter (I play a lot of Bejeweled myself, though I do run more demanding games on occasion).

As for what Malwarebytes uses; I'd advise watching the RAM usage of your web browser to get an idea of how many programmers approach memory usage these days, optimizing for performance rather than focusing as much on a lightweight footprint (within reason of course; not every customer will have 32GB+ of RAM after all).  The advantage is that processes/connections and other content get checked much more quickly, resulting in faster performance and better overall system responsiveness when performing tasks because you aren't having to wait on Malwarebytes to load up its databases to check if a new object/connection is malicious or not (I believe the bulk of the RAM is used for storing databases in memory, which explains the high and variable RAM usage and high performance compared to many of the AV/AM products which elect to keep a light footprint in memory (though some hide their RAM use through drivers, concealing their real RAM usage from common tools like Task Manager) but create more delays when performing tasks due to needing to load/check databases).

I once thought that using too much RAM was bad and that it would make my computer slow if applications consumed too much (even though I still had plenty of unused/free RAM at the time) until I did some research and learned more about what RAM is, what it's used for and how it works.  The following articles should prove helpful for anyone who is curious about the subject:

https://www.howtogeek.com/128130/htg-explains-why-its-good-that-your-computers-ram-is-full/
https://linux-mm.org/Low_On_Memory