I think I clicked on something carelessly yesterday without fully reading the button. I thought I was denying website notifications. But I guess that's not what I did.  Ever since then, I've getting the messages from Chrome asking if my Mac is infected.  Yes, clearly it is.  And there are other questions and suggests as well.  Usually there's a reference to shorturl.at. A URL shortening site is where I got it I think. 

Anyway, I ran Malwarebytes and it tells me there is no virus, but you can see from this screen clip the notifications being pushed onto my my screen from Chrome.  It doesn't seem to happen when I use FIrefox.  So if go through the trouble of uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it, will that fix it? If it won't, then what program will?  Norton? Because some of those notifications suggest I obtain Norton. I haven't done anything those notifications have suggested, but I still would like to be rid of this problem.   

Zero Viruses.jpg

3 minutes ago, Zooter said:

I thought I was denying website notifications. But I guess that's not what I did. 

It sounds like an issue with the push notifications feature in Chromium based browsers (which includes MS Edge).  Please see if the instructions in this Malwarebytes Labs article help or not.

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue still persists.

Thanks

Thank you, Porthos, so much.  I thought I had a much bigger problem. I went through the steps in that article and actually found a site named shortcut.at or something like that and was allowing notifications from it. I've now blocked the site. I think I did some serious damage to my computer because another software, Bitdefender, I think, found a virus in all my TimeMachine backup files but was taking days to delete them, reporting that they could be neither sequestered nor deleted, so I manually deleted them. And now I can't get them out of the trash either by restoring them or permanently deleting them and I'm getting reports there's not enough room for another Time Machine backup. My guess is, it's going to have to reinstall the OS to fix this one.  Criminey. And all because of a notification. 

But again, thanks for referring me to that article. It has saved me a LOT of worry and additional aggravation. 

Hi @Zooter,

One thing you should be aware of: if it's a Time Machine backup, you should never allow anything to scan or modify it. Time Machine backups are very fragile under that kind of treatment and can be destroyed entirely if a third-party app removes even a single file. Even when we do scan external drives, under no circumstances will we scan Time Machine backups.

If a Time Machine backup has malicious files in it, the best thing to do is:

1) Clean the Mac in question
2) Perform another backup
3) Eventually, Time Machine will prune the old files that have been gone for a while, including the malicious ones.

And thanks for that tip. I'll certainly bear it in mind in the future. In the meantime, I'll see if I can figure else I might do short of reinstalling the OS. 

Just to add to what adas said, since files were already deleted from your backup, it should be considered to be entirely ruined. Time Machine backups have a nasty habit of appearing to continue to work fine after being damaged, but failing at the very time you need them most: when restoration is attempted.

Rather than trying to repair the backup and get it working again, just wipe the drive and start over. But to be safe, you should also keep more than one backup, so you have another if something like this damages one of your backups.

Posted (edited)

Macs can and often get viruses and infected with malware whereas a suitable antivirus for your brand new Mac makes it more protective among the viruses.

The malware protection software actively guards against zero-day threats and other types of malware by locking them in a secure container where they cannot infect your computer. ClamXav is a free and open-source scanner that runs only when you tell it to, so I keep it on my Mac. It has never found anything, but sometimes I just feel like checking anyway. Sophos is more like the active scanners and an antivirus which you find on Windows, running all the time, but the nice thing is you can leave it on and disable things to keep it quiet and use as little of your system resources as possible. Still, since it also has never found anything, I uninstalled it and no longer use it.

You can, if you choose, install them both; they won't interfere with one another.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
link removed

There are no known pure viruses that impact macOS or it's applications, but if there ever was one it would be covered under the definition of malware and all anti-virus / anti-malware would be updated to protect against it, but we understand that it's common to refer to most such infections as viruses. 

Actually, ClamXAV is no longer free and has never been open-source, although it does use the ClamAV scanner which is. In addition to doing manual scans, ClamXAV can be set up to schedule scans and does have a real-time active scanner called Sentry that scans new files introduced to your Mac through download or optionally scan newly mounted drives. It is not recommended to allow more than one anti-malware to do real-time / on-access scanning as they can interfere with each other and unnecessarily slow your computer.

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize there were no "pure" viruses for the Mac.  The distinction between malware and virus eludes me, but that's an issue I let software deal with.  🙂 Impure ones, maybe?  (That's a joke.) I was greatly relieved to find my problem was so much easier to resolve than I'd imagined it would be. I figured it would involve OS reinstallation, and since I'm on an older Mac I don't want the latest OS because so many of the apps on it are 32-bit and would no longer work. It would be costly to replace them with 64-bit versions. I do also occasionally run Windows and some of its apps. 

I keep wondering about a  real-time scanner and how it might impact the performance of my computer if it's constantly on and looking for viruses.  I know realtime virus software can affect performance; I'm just not sure how much.

2 hours ago, Zooter said:

I keep wondering about a  real-time scanner and how it might impact the performance of my computer if it's constantly on and looking for viruses.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'll try again. Although it's constantly on in the background, it isn't looking for "malware", just waits to be told that something new has been placed in one of a few areas (like your download folder). It then quickly scans that file and goes quiet again.

2 hours ago, Zooter said:

I know realtime virus software can affect performance; I'm just not sure how much.

You have 14 days to try that feature of Malwarebytes to see how much, which should be plenty of time.