How do you turn off random malwarebytes popups?

1 minute ago, StampyScouse said:

Doesn't that just make it adware then? I thought malwarebytes were against adware.

Yes and no, Adware is a different thing compared to program notices.

2 minutes ago, StampyScouse said:

I guess I will have to switch to a different anti-malware software.

That is of course your choice.

Using a product for free has its costs.

You could exit Malwarebytes from the system tray after a scan and it will not bother you again until you open it again for another scan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Yes and no, Adware is a different thing compared to program notices.

It isn't a "program notice" though, it is plain and clear advertising. It is advertising for products and services I am not interested in.

That is of course your choice.

Using a product for free has its costs.

You could exit Malwarebytes from the system tray after a scan and it will not bother you again until you open it again for another scan.

The problem is, I would prefer to just start malwarebytes when I need it. But, it starts when I login into Windows and does not show up in the startup tab of task manger so I do not know how to stop it from starting up at start-up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StampyScouse said:

I do not know how to stop it from starting up at start-up.

If you right click the system icon on the right side of the system tray and uncheck the check mark on start with Windows and choose quit on the same menu it should stop starting with Windows.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also incredibly annoyed by the popups, which I am getting several times a day in both paid and free versions (2 different computers).

This is the most disruptive thing happening on my computer these days - exactly what I installed Malwarebytes to avoid. I am in the process of looking for a new anti-malware.

Incredibly poor decision from your product designers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pa7 said:

I am also incredibly annoyed by the popups, which I am getting several times a day in both paid and free versions (2 different computers).

I understand the issue in the free version but I have not seen any notification in the paid version. I assume you saw a message concerning Malwarebytes Privacy? I have Privacy so I guess that could be the reason I have not seen it.

• Like 1

Yes but that doesn't mean that it isn't adware.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, StampyScouse said:

It isn't a "program notice" though, it is plain and clear advertising. It is advertising for products and services I am not interested in.

It's advertising, and if malwsrebytes is against it, then maybe they should remove it from their software. As well as automatically forcing their users to start the premium trial and making it harder to switch out of.

• Like 1

• Root Admin

We are not against Advertising. We're against advertising such that you install the program but cannot remove malware without paying for the product. That is a bait and switch type of advertising which we are clearly not participating in. The free version is fully capable of scanning and removing any found threats just as the paid product is.

Though it may be annoying to some, sales figures and thank you emails from many users make up the other side of the coin by users that have welcomed it. We thank you for your feedback and we do try to minimize the frequency of Ads even for the free product

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information
  • Sad 1

I uninstalled Malwarebytes when I put this post up in May and just used Windows Defender. Almost a year later, I'm still using Windows Defender (or whatever it is called these days)

On 5/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, StampyScouse said:

Doesn't that just make it adware then? I thought malwarebytes were against adware.

I guess I will have to switch to a different anti-malware software.

14 hours ago, Pa7 said:

This is the most disruptive thing happening on my computer these days - exactly what I installed Malwarebytes to avoid. I am in the process of looking for a new anti-malware.

Incredibly poor decision from your product designers.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, blueayres said:

I'm not entirely sure why companies feel that annoying pop up ads are a good marketing strategy.

You also didnt reply when I asked you about you forcing users to start a premium trial.

13 hours ago, StampyScouse said:

As well as automatically forcing their users to start the premium trial and making it harder to switch out of.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, StampyScouse said:

You also didnt reply when I asked you about you forcing users to start a premium trial.

It has been like that for quite a while now. You would be amazed on how many users find their systems infected but did not know till the web protection blocks of the trial notified them of an issue.

To deactivate your Premium Trial, follow these steps:

1. Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
  2. Click the cog icon Cog_21x21__3_.png in the top-right corner.
  3. Click the Account tab.
  4. Under the License key field, click Deactivate.

When the Premium Trial has been deactivated, you can continue to use the free version of Malwarebytes for Windows to scan your computer for malware and disinfect your device after an attack.

Deactivating is simple.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StampyScouse said:

I was only asking why you hide the button purposley.

It has been in the same place since I think Version 3. The trial will end automatically as well an automatically revert to free.

8 minutes ago, StampyScouse said:

Could someone now close this thread?

@AdvancedSetup Will do that next opportunity.

Personally, I am sorry Malwarebytes is not for you.

I did instruct you on how to not have the popups of the free version in a previous post.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:42 PM, Porthos said:

If you right click the system icon on the right side of the system tray and uncheck the check mark on start with Windows and choose quit on the same menu it should stop starting with Windows.

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StampyScouse said:

Except that doesn't just get rid of the popups, it completely shuts down Malwarebytes down.

If the tray icon is not active, no popups.

You mentioned you did not want Malwarebytes to start with Windows and just wanted to open it to scan.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:21 PM, StampyScouse said:

The problem is, I would prefer to just start malwarebytes when I need it. But, it starts when I login into Windows and does not show up in the startup tab of task manger so I do not know how to stop it from starting up at start-up.

• Like 1

Yes, and then shortly after that I uninstalled the software because I was still getting pop-ups after running a scan. And yes, I do know that I can just close it from the tray. It was more out of annoyance of having to do this everytime that I started this software. You are right, malwarebytes is not the software for me, I have already switched to Windows Defeneder\Security and it's free anti-virus\anti-malware\anti-ransom protection which only sends notifactions when a scan has been completed. It may not be as good as Malwarebytes, but it does what I need.

• Sad 1