nickax

QuickSnooker - MB causes crashes ?

Hello,

I am the Author of QuickSnooker - a Windows Snooker game 

I recently released version 8.0.327 - I have a few customers (2 I know of) who have had different issues - we think relate to MalwareBytes - One (running Malware Bytes and Avast) Experiences "The application was unable to start correctly"

The other (runing Avira and MalwareBytes) experienced a host of errors possibly relating to restricted disk write access in %localappdata%

Bottom line is I would like you to analyse/whitelist the attached .exe - it is perfectly safe - but appears to crash on machines running multiple AV solutions

Many thanks

qsProgram.zip

nostart.JPG

Greetings,

I'm not sure what the cause of the issue is, and if Malwarebytes is not showing any detections then tracking down the cause of the problem may be difficult.  You can try posting in the false positives area here, however if Malwarebytes isn't actually detecting the file as a threat then whitelisting probably won't help.  Instead, I would suggest asking the affected users to do the following so that Malwarebytes' Developers may try to determine what is causing the issue, assuming it can be replicated:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Gather crash dumps from the application when it crashes may also prove helpful.  If they are too large to attach here then please upload them to WeTransfer.com and select the option to share the file as a link and post the link here to the download once complete.

OK .. thanks

The issue has evaporated for the Avast customer .. and the other customer has sidestepped it by temporarily turning off MalwareBytes

No detections were triggered .. and in both cases they were running a cocktail of AV programs so it is unreasonable to point fingers

There is very little incentive for either of them to gather logfiles, but If I have another incident I will try and get them to do that.

Thanks for your time/advice

OK, hopefully they won't encounter the issue again, but if they do then it would be most helpful to the Devs to gather what logs/info you can so that they may track down the cause and hopefully get it fixed in an upcoming release.

Thanks