Synology Assistant Blocked by Web Protection

RichK

Hello,

Seeing the exact same problem with MWB 4.1.0 blocking Synology Assistant searching for devices on multiple Windows 10 1903 systems. Added C:\Program Files (x86)\Synology\Assistant\DSAssistant.exe to the application exclusion list with no success. No block notifications in the history or logs. Disabling web protection allows it to identify devices on the network.

Rich

As per this forum topic here from over 2 years ago, I too am experiencing the same issue.  The Synology Assistant program is designed to search your local LAN for attached Synology NAS devices.  However, Malwarebytes prevents Synology Assistant from finding my attached NAS.  In the referenced forum topic, member HarryZ identified that the problem is with Malwarebytes Web Protection module as turning this off allows Synology Assistant to find the NAS.  I too have found this, turning off Web Protection allows Synology Assistant to find my Synology NAS on my LAN.

The referenced topic also talks about adding the Synology Assistant executable to Malwarebytes "Allow List".  I have tried this with the program whitelisted as both "Allow a file or folder" AND as "Allow an application to connect to the internet".  Malwarebytes still prevents Synology Assistant from finding my NAS when Web Protection is turned on.

This is exactly the same experience that member RichK posted in the referenced thread just yesterday:

"Seeing the exact same problem with MWB 4.1.0 blocking Synology Assistant searching for devices on multiple Windows 10 1903 systems. Added C:\Program Files (x86)\Synology\Assistant\DSAssistant.exe to the application exclusion list with no success. No block notifications in the history or logs. Disabling web protection allows it to identify devices on the network."

I too see no block notifications in the history or logs.

Can this please be investigated and resolved.

20 hours ago, RichK said:

Hello,

Seeing the exact same problem with MWB 4.1.0 blocking Synology Assistant searching for devices on multiple Windows 10 1903 systems. Added C:\Program Files (x86)\Synology\Assistant\DSAssistant.exe to the application exclusion list with no success. No block notifications in the history or logs. Disabling web protection allows it to identify devices on the network.

Rich

Same here - exactly the same experience.

I posted a new topic about it here.

• Staff
33 minutes ago, ikrananka said:

As per this forum topic here from over 2 years ago, I too am experiencing the same issue.  The Synology Assistant program is designed to search your local LAN for attached Synology NAS devices.  However, Malwarebytes prevents Synology Assistant from finding my attached NAS.  In the referenced forum topic, member HarryZ identified that the problem is with Malwarebytes Web Protection module as turning this off allows Synology Assistant to find the NAS.  I too have found this, turning off Web Protection allows Synology Assistant to find my Synology NAS on my LAN.

The referenced topic also talks about adding the Synology Assistant executable to Malwarebytes "Allow List".  I have tried this with the program whitelisted as both "Allow a file or folder" AND as "Allow an application to connect to the internet".  Malwarebytes still prevents Synology Assistant from finding my NAS when Web Protection is turned on.

This is exactly the same experience that member RichK posted in the referenced thread just yesterday:

"Seeing the exact same problem with MWB 4.1.0 blocking Synology Assistant searching for devices on multiple Windows 10 1903 systems. Added C:\Program Files (x86)\Synology\Assistant\DSAssistant.exe to the application exclusion list with no success. No block notifications in the history or logs. Disabling web protection allows it to identify devices on the network."

I too see no block notifications in the history or logs.

Can this please be investigated and resolved.

Hello-

Please provide latest protection logs for our review and we'll get back to you on any corrective steps we deem required to resolve the issue, thanks or our patience.

19 hours ago, TeMerc said:

Hello-

Please provide latest protection logs for our review and we'll get back to you on any corrective steps we deem required to resolve the issue, thanks or our patience.

It would be useful if you could tell me specifically where I find the logs and exactly which log files (names) you need to see.  Do I just upload them here or should I be opening a formal support request?

• Staff
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 5:48 AM, ikrananka said:

It would be useful if you could tell me specifically where I find the logs and exactly which log files (names) you need to see.  Do I just upload them here or should I be opening a formal support request?

Hello-

See here below:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue - Synology Assistant won't find my 2 DiskStations unless I disable Web Protection in MalwareBytes 4.1.0.  I have no issues when I boot into my Arch Linux drive and use the Synology Assistant (as there is no anti virus/malware program running) in that.

Sam

I created a support ticket on this issue and was asked to use the Malwarebytes pss-helper tool to create a huge number of log files for them to use in their investigation.  Looking through the logs it created I was very reluctant to send them so much information about my PC.  Fortunately, they figured out the problem themselves and have now released an update that fixes the problem.  Here are the update steps they sent to me:

1. Open Malwarebytes
2. Click the Settings icon on the top right
3. Click the About tab
4. Click 'Check for Updates'
5. Your Component Package version should now be 1.0.931

This fix works for me.