Malwarebytes 4.1 bogus detections and hindering pc operations

• Root Admin

Yes it does clean and clear all browser cache which is often where most infections start out or come from.

The SFC scan which checks if the operating system files are valid found some issues but was unable to correct them.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

However DISM was able to repair the store files which in most cases corrects the issues that SFC was unable to fix.

The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired.

We will run another FIX so that we can run SFC again and hopefully this time it will fix the corrupted Windows files it found.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thank you

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are all of these relevant to why Malwarebytes is causing the BSOD and freezes? Just curious, because Malwarebytes didn't give me any problems before the latest update. If there's been issues with my computer for a while, why didn't I encounter the issues earlier?

Also, please tell me if this will clean out my browser again so I can make the necessary backups.

• Root Admin

I'm sorry but I cannot really answer that question. You came to me with a messed up computer that obviously has issues. We need to fix those issue to ensure the system is running correctly.

No, there are no commands to touch the browser. It simply tells it to close all applications (which you should already be doing when running the fix) and it tells it to make a System Restore Point. Then to run the SFC command again to see if it can fix those files now and then restart the computer again.

• Root Admin

I don't work for Avast so I've not tested it but I do know from helping many users that out of the blue it can or will block FRST from running and can stop or prevent fixes from being applied.

No, just disable Avast real time protection.
You're running Windows 8.1 which comes with the same version of Windows Defender that runs on Windows 10 which is actually a pretty good antivirus program. When running Windows Defender and Malwarebytes together that is a rather good combination that I think you'll find even many 3rd party computer experts agree on.

No, the system should not run another disk check this time.

• Root Admin

Yes, that worked this time. Good.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired

Please restart the computer 2 times. Then run the FRST program again and do another scan and post back the new FRST and Addition.txt files.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Yes, restart twice.

Yes, Avast must always be off when scanning to prevent possible interference with the scan.

Yes, just scan, no fix

So that it allows time for Event Viewer logs to either add, remove, entries and see if an issue is/was temporary or an ongoing issue

• Root Admin

Can you please open Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove and see if the old Java is still listed. The only one I see listed there now is the new version.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F64180251F0}
    AuthorizedCDFPrefix    REG_SZ    
    Comments    REG_SZ    
    Contact    REG_SZ    https://java.com
    DisplayVersion    REG_SZ    8.0.2510.8
    HelpLink    REG_EXPAND_SZ    https://java.com/help
    HelpTelephone    REG_SZ    
    InstallDate    REG_SZ    20200520
    InstallLocation    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_251\
    InstallSource    REG_SZ    C:\Users\ROG\AppData\LocalLow\Oracle\Java\jre1.8.0_251_x64\
    ModifyPath    REG_EXPAND_SZ    MsiExec.exe /X{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F64180251F0}
    NoModify    REG_DWORD    0x1
    NoRepair    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Publisher    REG_SZ    Oracle Corporation
    Readme    REG_EXPAND_SZ    [INSTALLDIR]README.txt
    Size    REG_SZ    
    EstimatedSize    REG_DWORD    0x1e182
    UninstallString    REG_EXPAND_SZ    MsiExec.exe /X{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F64180251F0}
    URLInfoAbout    REG_SZ    https://java.com
    URLUpdateInfo    REG_SZ    https://java.sun.com
    VersionMajor    REG_DWORD    0x8
    VersionMinor    REG_DWORD    0x0
    WindowsInstaller    REG_DWORD    0x1
    Version    REG_DWORD    0x80009ce
    Language    REG_DWORD    0x409
    DisplayName    REG_SZ    Java 8 Update 251 (64-bit)

Still there. Java installer still detects it too. Should I reinstall it only to remove it again afterwards?

What happened was that I had installed it separately to another folder, separate from the Java folder in C:/ because an app had needed the older Java and refiused to run with the new. Since I don't need the app at all anymore, I just trahsed the entire folder. 

image.png.3e7660923a0d693b97c8cd850b4e0128.png

• Root Admin

If you have the installer that would be the easiest way. Install it. Reboot, go back to Control Panel and uninstall it.

We can search for it in a couple other areas of the Registry it might be in. You could also manually search for the string too, but installing and uninstalling would be a better method so that other files that are located elsewhere would also get removed.