Mawarebytes and Windows 7 (64 bit)

I am shortly going to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit, at or just before then I also want to get the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for spyware. I already have the free version, but am concerned that the full version may not work with windows 7 64 bit.

Regards

Themisive

Welcome to Malwarebytes! Malwarebytes already has a plan for the anti-virus program of your choice, of what files are to be trusted

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus (if using any firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, exclude them from it as well):

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I'll save this post and get back to you with an answer directly to your question, in the next day or so. Please save this post or bookmark it...regards...

• Root Admin

Personally I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST an upgrade of Vista to Windows 7 - upgrades make it easy to keep the same look and feel but bring trash and broken stuff over to the NEW Windows. I would backup all my data to an external drive and then FDISK, FORMAT and install Windows 7 on a clean partition (download any drivers that you think might be special ahead of time like network card drivers, though Windows 7 has a lot of them built-in already)

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise x64 from the Technet download and MBAM is working fine for me on my PC. YMMV but I would not anticipate any issues.

the problem is to be able to buy a full version. Those who only have the money to buy the upgrade will have to wait and see what type of installation that Microsoft will allow us to do.. seem like we won't be able to do what we did with vista ( format, install without key, then reinstall with key)

Win 7 upgrade will have to be installed on top of a legit Vista B) anyway let's hope for the best, I also want a clean install.. or else I'll format, install vista without SP , activate it, then install win 7 on top right away. That should be almost like a clean install.

• Staff

I believe, at least from all I've read thus far, that you will indeed be able to use upgrade media for 7 to do clean installs following the same process as you had to for Vista.

As for MBAM's compatibility with Windows 7 x64, there's obviously nothing official yet, but I do know of several users that frequent the forum here and use the paid version in realtime on 7 x64 and it's working without issues for them.

I believe, at least from all I've read thus far, that you will indeed be able to use upgrade media for 7 to do clean installs following the same process as you had to for Vista.

As for MBAM's compatibility with Windows 7 x64, there's obviously nothing official yet, but I do know of several users that frequent the forum here and use the paid version in realtime on 7 x64 and it's working without issues for them.

In actual fact I have Windows XP x64 t at the moment, and the programme I referred to as an upgrade is in fact the FULL programme - all I meant by upgrading was upgrading my system to a new O/S. In fact, I had considered upgrading to Vista a while ago, but my son (who runs vista) advised me not to do so.

Thus this will be a straight install of a new operating system.

• Root Admin

No problem from everything I've heard and see so far (obviously not the release version to the public) and there is NO upgrade from XP, only Vista. So MS knows that you can't do an upgrade from XP but they do offer the upgrade of Windows 7 for it, so one has to assume that the same method of install will work doing a format and install with Windows 7 Upgrade version.