What level of protection does the free version of Malwarebytes offer?

I am planning to get the premium for the real-time protection for my Macbook, I have windows defender for real-time protection for my PC, I realize I don't have that for my Macbook (I use avira, but I don't trust it that much).

However, suppose I stick with the free version, without the real time protection, how does just the quick scan / custom scan help with my system?

For instance if I try to run a malware, would it still warn me against running that program? Or does the scan only detect malware when it is active? If so it seems if I run the malware, turn it off, and the damage is done (say my personal info are collected), then the free version of malwarebytes would not be able to do anything about it?

In general terms, the Premium version will detect a malware installer or malicious application as it arrives on your computer and will prevent it's installation or launch, so no damage done. 

If you manage to install the malware process/application the free version will not prevent it from running or being launched, so if it's spyware then it will harvest the information it's after and attempt to upload it. You would have to run a manual or scheduled scan before that process or application runs or reports in order to prevent it from doing whatever it's designed to do.

Greetings,

Malwarebytes offers a free 14 day trial so that you may try the Premium features for yourself.  To try it, simply install the free version from this page and it will allow you to start your trial.  If you read that page there is also good info comparing the features available in the free version vs the Premium version.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks