Trying to change email address

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Root Admin

That is correct. That site is blocked due to extremely high spam abuse.

Approximately 85% of all email accounts in the USA and Europe use one of these 3 providers. Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft

Popularity ranking of most visited sites on the Internet

mail.google 1
Live ranks 18
mail.yahoo 12
btinternet 3,175,903

Way down past 3 million, as you can see this site would not be the first choice of most people wanting to use a free mail service.

Thank you

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This never seemed to be resolved. I too have an email address in the form xxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com

I used this email address when registering the product on your main site which worked OK.

However when trying to sign up on the forums.malwarebytes.com website it does not allow my email address. You get an error saying 'You are not allowed to use that email address on this website'

In case it was something odd about my email address I tried another and then a random one - all the same - the result of which I show in the screen shot attached to this report.

N.B. ** Ignore that the answer to the security question is wrong in the image - this and the reCaptcha system kept getting in the way of me trying to get this screenshot - I did do the correct things.

Thank you.

BT_signup_error.jpg

• Root Admin

Understood however checking again it has dropped below 3 million but it's still at about 2.4 million ranking. Which simply translates that almost no one uses that email domain.

I've gone ahead and re-scanned and checked blacklisting and other issues. Their mail domain setup has issues and is not setup well but it's currently no longer a high level source of spamming at this time. As such we will remove the block for now. If we do see spammers once again coming from this domain we will once again block it. There really are many other much better, safer email providers out there.

Thank you

I'd be interested to know where the btinternet.com domain is blacklisted and also therefore why the domain is allowed for login accounts on malwarebytes.com but not forums.malwarebytes.com? What is the 2.4 million ranking  - is that number of email accounts or some arbitrary rating?

Obviously it is mainly UK based being the main internet provider for the country but I supposed compared to yahoo.com which is USA based the number of users are relatively low but I don't understand why a low user base is a reason for banning its use? (some btinternet accounts are hosted by Yahoo anyway)

I have setup a Gmail account in the past and been swamped by SPAM to it and from other Gmail accounts so eventually dropped it as the amount of SPAM made it unusable but I get virtually nil spam to my BT a/c or from other btinternet accounts. I'm not sure why it is not good and unsafe as you state - are the 'issues' you quote documented anywhere? If it really is that bad I'd like to find out why and take action.

Thank you.

• Root Admin

It's not black listed at this time, which is why I said we would remove the block.

I can promise you it is not the main ISP provider in the UK with a visitor ranking of 2.4 million. This listing is from Alexa that measures internet traffic around the world.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/06/altnet-full-fibre-isps-target-29-9-million-uk-premises-by-2025.html

The doc you reference shows:-

Top 10 UK ISPs By Subscriber Size

I don't know your location and therefore your background knowledege but BT is British Telecom, btinternet, btopenreach (the actual ISP division) etc and still trying to understand/know what data you are using.

If I lookup btinternet.com on Alexa it shows as #2,430,985 but if you look there is no underlying data on the page or any Traffic metrics whatsoever by which it is based which is probably why it is such a high ranking.

You can't connect to btinternet.com as a website (http/https) only via a mail client through ports 465/995 etc

Compare with mail.bt.com (or bt.com) rated #2,856. (This the server you would connect to for Webmail etc - not btinternet.com)

I think what Alexa is reporting to you in this way is giving you a false impression.

e.g. GMAIL uses imap.gmail.com i.e. gmail.com which also uses http/https and Alexa has a ranking of #7,331 (way below bt.com)

Regards,

John.