Go.lnkam.com

Hi,

Every so often whilst using Chrome, I keep getting an error saying I can't reach a site starting go.lnkam.com despite the link I clink having nothing to do with the site. If I go back and click the link again, the link works fine. I've run both MBAM and Adwcleaner multiple times and can't seem to find the cause of this issue. 

Can anyone help? Does anyone have any info on how I can stop this altogether?

Hello @supersonicsjm and :welcome:

My screenname is Android8888 and my real name is Rui and will be glad to help you with your computer issues. Please feel free to ask questions if anything is unclear to you.

Please DO NOT RUN ANY additional scans or anti-malware tools on your own while you are being assisted in this topic.

For now, follow the instructions below to download and execute a scan on your system with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST), and attach its two logs in your next reply.

• Download the right version of FRST for your operating system:
    • FRST 32-bit
    • FRST 64-bit
      Note: Only the right version will run on your system, the other will throw an error message. So if you don't know what your system's version is, simply download both of them, and the one that works is the one you should be using.
  • Move the executable (FRST.exe or FRST64.exe) on your Desktop.
  • Right-click on the file and select Run as Administrator to open the tool.
  • Accept the disclaimer by clicking on Yes, and FRST will then search for updates which should take a few seconds.
  • Make sure the Addition.txt box is checked.
  • Click on the Scan button and wait. The tool will do a back-up of the Registry which should take a few seconds and then starts scanning your system.
  • When the scan is complete, two message box will open, saying that the results were saved to FRST.txt and Addition.txt, then it will open two Notepad files.
  • Copy attach both FRST.txt and Addition.txt files in your next reply for my review.

Please attach the requested logs and wait for further instructions.

Thank you.

Android8888

(Rui)

Hi supersonicsjm,

Thank you for the logs.

Please execute the following:

Warning: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system.

Now follow the instructions below to execute a script fix on your system using FRST, and provide the log in your next reply.

• Download the attached fixlist.txt file, and save it on your Desktop (or wherever your FRST64.exe executable is located); DO NOT open or modify that file!
  • Right-click on the FRST executable and select Run as Administrator;
  • Click on the Fix button;
  • On completion, a message will come up saying that the fix has been completed and it'll open a log in Notepad;
  • Please attach the Fixlog.txt in your next reply;

Next step,

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Go to "Settings" (upper right corner wheel), "Security" tab, and ensure that Automatic quarantine button is turned On.
  • Now scroll down a bit until "Scan options" and ensure the Scan for rootkits button is turned On.
  • Close the "Settings" panel and click the Scan blue button to perform a new scan.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the View report button, then on Export and select Export to TXT.
  • Save the file as a Text file to your Desktop or other location you can find it.
  • Please attach that file in your next reply.

Please attach the logs and let me know if the issue with Chrome was solved.

Thank you.

Android8888
(Rui)

fixlist.txt

Hi,

Are you syncing Chrome with other devices? If you do, that can be causing the problem.

Read carefully the instructions at the link https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258886-chrome-secure-preferences-detection-always-returns/ and execute the steps as instructed.

Then, let me know if that solved the issue.

@supersonicsjm

There was no need to run the previous FRST fix again. Just the new scan with Malwarebytes after resetting Chrome Sync.

13 hours ago, supersonicsjm said:

If I do this, will I lose any data?

Resetting Sync will clear everything in your Chrome Sync history. This does not remove the items from your Desktop or mobile browsers, it only clears the various caches stored on the server.

Now, test the computer for a couple of days and let me know if the problem is solved.

Thank you.

Android8888

Hello @supersonicsjm   

I hope you are doing well this week-end.    I am understanding that Chrome browser is running into some issues.

Let me suggest that you proceed to do these next steps to help things along.

[   1   ]

Be sure that SYNC is off  at Google for your account.

Use Chrome browser   to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[   2   ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

[   3   ]

After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session

Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking  the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the adress bar

Then look deeper in SETTINGS

image.png.01ee62f2dfcbd48f1e0e2f1d08fb5921.png

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off"

[   4   ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

[   5   ]

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

[   6    ]

Now a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

One of the major goals here is to have it remove all that it detects.  If it finds anything that is.

Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.

Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Then click the Security tab.   Look for the section "Automatic Quarantine".   Be sure it is clicked On   ( to the far right side)

Then scroll down to the section Potentially Unwanted items.   We need the next 2 lines   ( for P U P  & for P U  M)  to be set to "Always ( Recommended) ".

You can make the change by clicking on the down-arrow selection list-control.   We want all P U P  &  P U M to be marked for removal.

Next, click the small x on the Settings line   to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.

Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

You can actualy click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

That is a very good result.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now
It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan
Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Eset scan flagged a few potentially unwanted applications.   The CCsetup are the setup files for CCleaner.   Those are not needed after the setup is completed.  Those we can discount.

How is Chrome behaving ?  Each time you reply I would appreciate to know how Chrome is doing & whether a message about "Inkam"  has happened.

Let us do one other scan.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.    Provide a current status of how things are.    Thanks.

Hi,

So the issue has just occurred again. It just occurred after searching something in Google and clicking an Amazon link. It tries to take me here:-

https://go.lnkam.com/link/r?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FWireless-Folding-Connector-Over-Ear-Headphones-Gold%2Fdp%2FB07FPD4WK9&campaign_id=b7YMMAqMdAL7wyzNe5m3wz&source=h3xqamgzbty0is

Usually it occurs when clicking an Amazon link in a Google results page, but it has happened once when clicking a link on a non-Google page for a non-Amazon link.

If I go back and click the same link again, it then takes me to the correct link.

Good afternoon.   At the outset  ( after the latest posts you mad) I urge you to be extra extra judicious on what links you "click"  on any web Search page !

Often enough, the results include paid-for-ads.   And one cannot discount the odds of malvertising links.

Did you finish the Microsoft Saefty scanner scan ?   If not , I urge you to do that.   See   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/259641-golnkamcom/?do=findComment&comment=1383872

NEXT

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

NEXT

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.6.1.784.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.
Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.
Thank you,
Sincerely.

Hello.  Thank you for the reports.   I would like to continue by doing a custom search to see is some thing on the machine has any reference to "inkam"

To do that, we will need to have you use the tool FRSTENGLISH  which is on the Downloads folder.

Find then start FRSTENGLISH
Type the following ( better yet, use COPY  then Paste)   into the search box exactly as show then press the Search Files button 

SearchAll: inkam

Please wait while the program searches for all entries relating to this program, when done a  search.txt    log will be saved to the desktop. Please attach this log to your next reply. 

We will do more later.   Thanks for your patience.