Window opened and closed quickly on startup. Is this malware?

Hi. I use Malwarebytes Premium on Windows 10. Today I restarted my computer and noticed a window open and close very quickly, right after Windows started up and I logged in. It might be just some sort of script for updating software, or maybe it's malware. I don't know. I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it said it found nothing. That being said, it was only a normal scan, not a custom/advanced scan.

I'm not noticing anything unusual on my computer or online accounts. My CPU and RAM usage are pretty low too, nothing unusual. Just the window that opened and closed quickly, too quickly for me to see what it was. I restarted my computer again and it didn't happen again. The window opening and closing quickly only happened once.

I mostly just use my computer for coding and web browsing. The attached image is a list of stuff that is in the startup tab in task manager. None of the programs in my startup tab look suspicious, though I don't know if there's another way software can start on startup.

Do you think it's possible that it was just malware, or just some sort of legitimate task?

Thanks in advance.

startup.PNG

Update: I figured it out! It's not malware after all.

I tried restarting a few more times and noticed that the window did indeed open and close again. But after watching it a few more times, I noticed it had a phone icon. I looked in the system tray, and there was Dell Mobile Connect, with the same icon.

Dell Mobile Connect opens on startup and then immediately closes and goes to the system tray. I have a Dell laptop and this program came with it. It's not malware, but it's not a program that I use. So I just disabled it by going to "Add or remove programs" -> "Dell Mobile Connect" -> "Advanced Options" and then turned "Dell Mobile Connect Startup" off. Now it doesn't open and close a window when I turn on my computer.

So anyone who has a Dell laptop and notices this same thing, just see if you have Dell Mobile Connect enabled on startup, and if so, then it isn't malware.

Dell SupportAssist is another program that sometimes opens, and tells you to install updates for drivers and so on. These programs from Dell are not malicious, but they can be annoying. I'm not going to disable SupportAssist though, because it can be good to update drivers and whatnot.

So it was a false alarm. It's a little concerning to see a window open and immediately close, but I guess it's just because they didn't code it very well.

Hello.   :welcome:   

We determine if there is an infection   ( or malware ) by scanning with known security applications, like Malwarebytes for Windows and others.

Dell like other manufacturers do have manufacturer-specific mini-apps that they have for the purpose of keeping the machine up-to-date.   Those typically run at machine startup.  Those may be mistakenly thought of by some as a suspect.   Dell SupportAssist  is a known and safe applet from Dell.

Again, we determine if something is a malware by running known trusted security programs.

Is there anything else that you need at this point ?

Hi. I was actually wrong. Although it's true that Dell Mobile Connect used to open and close a window on startup, but I've uninstalled it since then. Today I saw another window open and close quickly. This time, it had no icon, and opened and closed too fast for me to see what it was. 

I recently did a factory reset on my laptop, and the only things that are installed (aside from Dell stuff that came with it) are Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice, and Malwarebytes Premium. I haven't even really used it much for web browsing or anything, at least not since the last time I did a factory reset.

It could be a coincidence, but I was running windows update when I saw the window open and close. That might not have anything to do with it though.

Is there a way to see which windows were opened recently? It might be malware, or maybe not. But I can't even tell what is being opened and closed. 

Malwarebytes doesn't detect anything. 

By the way, when I say a "no icon window" opened, I mean there was a square in the bottom with the blue line under it, just like with Firefox/Chrome/etc. But it did not have an icon in the square that had the blue line underneath it.It opened and closed in less than a second.

I don't mean to make a million posts all back to back, but I think I should clarify a little more. 

At first, I saw a window opening and closing every time I would boot up my computer. After further investigation, I realized it was Dell Mobile Connect (I have a Dell laptop). It's not malware, but I don't need it, so I uninstalled it. Now I no longer see a window open and close quickly on startup. But I did see the no-icon window open and close. It was not immediately after startup and it only happened once. I wasn't doing anything on my computer aside from running windows update. That may or may not be related to it.

I just wish there was an easier way to see what windows opened up.

The last time I know that I 100% for sure got malware was in 2012. Malwarebytes detected it, got rid of it, and then I changed all my passwords afterwards. Ever since then, I have been very cautious about computer security.

Hello.

Let's have you do one run with the Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER program to do a good check for adwares.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.
Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.
Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too! 

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.
At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).
Then click on Dashboard button.
Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.
NOTE:  When it comes to the section "
Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.
Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.
In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".
Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs
Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks