OUTBOUND Trojan activity blocked - repeated messages

Hi guys

I am getting repeated Trojan outbound blocked alerts from MWB in Firefox (most recent retail release - it updated about 4 days ago). I can see that MWB is doing the job correctly and stopping the communication but as this is an Outbound communication I'd like to remove the problem entirely - the constant pop-ups are an irritation. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

trojan.txt

Image3.jpg.ba94f659f1eb651417552311abda7264.jpg

Image4.jpg.a9e14c00598e45a5af6ed3b8ba52a225.jpg

Image5.thumb.jpg.9adb1e581863ae9182a1ef387053d716.jpg

Hi,     :welcome:
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible. 

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

For Your Information:

The Block notices from Malwarebytes web protection do mean that Malwarebytes is keeping your pc safe from potential harm.
A block notice is an advisory of the "block".
A "malicious website blocked" is entirely different from a "malware detected" event.

The website  Block message indicates that a potential risk was blocked by the malicious website protection. 
The Malwarebytes web protection, by default, will always show each IP block occurrence.
The Malwarebytes Webs protection feature will advise customers when a known or suspected malicious IP is attempted to be reached (outgoing) or is trying access your PC.

See our info page https://www.malwarebytes.com/lp/ip-blocking/?ipblock=true

Incoming block notice can be ignored, our software is blocking the threat and there is nothing more that can be done.
On Outbound blocks, any attempted connection was stopped.

No action is required unless you’re also experiencing malware symptoms or there are multiple (different) IPs (ex;123.23.34 and 4.44.56).
 A browser is not required to be running, just an active Internet connection with processes running,
such as Instant messenger clients, SKYPE or Peer-to-peer software, to trigger these alerts.

These are also triggered by banner ads running on websites which is the most common form of alert.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.6.0.774.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.
Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.

Thank you,
Sincerely.

Hello Saddletank.

Thanks for the support-tool report.   What is blocked is any attempt to reach "roxlock.com"

The block IS keeping your machine safe from potential harm.   The Premium Web protection of Malwarebytes is keeping the system safe.

The "booger" is EXTERNAL.    not on your machine.   But the booger is at the domain   "roxlock.com"

You may if you wish just set the message-window notification to be turned off  so you do not get frazzled.

Start Malwarebytes.   Click Settings ( gear icon at the top ) 

Click the Notifications tab.

Look for "Show all notifications in the Windows notification area"   and click that to the Left.   That is to set that to Off position.

The real-time web protection and the real-time anti-malware will still be protecting your system.

Lets do one special scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.    (  Later on, we can do different scans with other tools. )

I would like you to do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.  One of the major goals here is to have it remove all that it detects.  If it finds anything that is.
Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.
Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.
Then click the Security tab.   Look for the section "Automatic Quarantine".   Be sure it is clicked On   ( to the far right side)

Scroll thru  and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON  if it does not show a blue-color

Then scroll down to the section Potentially Unwanted items.   We need the next 2 lines   ( for P U P  & for P U  M)  to be set to "Always ( Recommended) ".
You can make the change by clicking on the down-arrow selection list-control.   We want all P U P  &  P U M to be marked for removal.

Next, click the small x on the Settings line   to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.
Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.
Then click on Quarantine selected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Have patience thru all this.   We will do more later on.

Okay, thank you very much. All the blue options are selected and I'm running the scan now.

Image8.thumb.jpg.a8ab34c0ef59d3f0ab843deaf0ff3a59.jpg

Scan report attached. Nothing found.

scanreport.txt

I don't understand why this has just started happening today. Why might "roxlock.com" have suddenly decided that my PC needs to be targeted? It happens every time I refresh or reload any webpage. I have never seen so many trojan attempts from one website. I am sure its something in the Firefox browser.

You should consider uninstalling Firefox   ( after saving your bookmarks   &  your passwords )   and then consider switching to the Brave browser    https://brave.com

That would serve you better.   Or else, if you really truly need to use Firefox   ( after the uninstall ) do a fresh new FF setup.

The screen grab from the Malwarebytes scan is good.   The report is good.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.
Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.
Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too! 

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.
At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).
Then click on Dashboard button.
Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.
NOTE:  When it comes to the section "
Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.
Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.
In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".
Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs
Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Thanks for your continuing help. I have been a supporter and user of Firefox for years but in the last year or two its become not as good as it once was. I have downloaded Brave and will take a look at it.

My EST NOD-32 anti-virus won't access the adwcleaner page. A false positive I assume, but now I'm stuck. Is there any other way to download adwcleaner except via the link you gave me?

NOD32  likely does not like running the other scan tool.

There has to be a way to just only temporarily turn off the ESET  NOD32.   I think the term they use may be PAUSE

You should be able to pause for 1 hour,  4 hours, or until next Restart.

I would pick 1 hour

See  https://support.eset.com/en/kb548-disable-protection-in-eset-windows-home-products

The go ahead with the Adwcleaner run.

Thanks.

There is something wrong with Firefox. BTW I tried Brave and didn't like it since its a Chrome clone and has the same features - I don't like Chrome.

Firefox gives me an error on the ADWCleaner d/l page:

Image1.thumb.jpg.1d908c6fe9152b6055fafe8a76712e36.jpg

And when I "try again" ESET kills the link dead, even though ESET is paused:

Image2.thumb.jpg.84b2fbbaaedfe0e738977ca0b3c01acc.jpg

I have a lot of things turned off in Firefox for security reasons and perhaps this is causing the issue with reading the ADWCleaner page?

• Root Admin

Just to interject that the site is secure for me on Firefox with many security plugins enabled. It would appear to be something on your system or your settings.

image.png

https://toolslib.net/

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1-adwcleaner/

https://download.toolslib.net/download/file/1/2323?s=EVOJgeAxWCpaZORxSRaTdnGvpnrWfOxS

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

@Saddletank    Your pc runs Windows 10

The EDGE browser out to be able to be used to get Adwcleaner.

as to the "secure connection failed"  that could be because that browser  ( for some reason) was not  or is not able to handle HTTPS   ( secure communication).

as a very very last resort, try http://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

use that while on EDGE.

Hi guys

I installed Brave, downloaded ADWCleaner and ran it. It found nothing at all. I attach the log file. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. I have switched off the alert pop ups that MWB generates but by checking it I can see that the roxlock website is still being contacted by Firefox every time I open or refresh most web pages.

It started after I set up an account at the groups.io mailing lists site about 4 days ago.

Possibly the only option is to uninstall FF and reinstall it, maybe an older version. I'm not happy with the latest batch of them. but then again, no other browser is as good or does what I want in my view. I positively hated Brave at once due to its annoying private ads nonsense and the fact its a Chrome clone and comes with the problems Chrome does.

Anyhow, here's the ADW report. I am not sure we can do anything else except get rid of FF and reinstall it clean.

Thanks for your very kind help and persistence.

AdwCleaner[S00].txt

Just by the way, as a last report, yes, carefully Uninstalling Firefox  ( using the normal Control Panel ( Settings ) way)  & then installing a new clean Firefox is the safest way.

Thanks for the Adwcleaner report.  No P U P / no malicious stuff.

Let us see if we can do a search, looking for "roxlock" if it is somehow in some way mentioned on this Windows pc.

Use File Explorer to go to the Downloads folder.  You will find there the tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe

Start FRSTEnglish.
Type the following ( better yet, use COPY  then Paste)   into the search box exactly as show then press the Search Files button

SearchAll: roxlock

Please wait while the program searches for all entries relating to this program, when done a search.txt log will be saved to the desktop. Please attach this log to your next reply.

Just remarks:  I find the Brave browser a big help in suppressing a lot of ads.  I find it a lot more useful.  

You are very welcome.   I am glad to have helped.

I  would recommend that if you have a internet-connection-router hardware at home,  that you look over this article
"How to Enable Your Wireless Router's Built-in Firewall"
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-enable-your-wireless-routers-built-in-firewall-2487668

To do some tool cleanups:

You may delete mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe   on the Downloads folder.

Delete  mbst-grab-results.zip  on the Desktop

To remove the FRST tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your Downloads folder.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe .
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you