Basil_ZA

Cannot connect to Server

I'm a new subscriber to Malware Privacy and after using it for a few days it is now refusing to connect to any VPN Server. 

I downloaded the support tool, followed all the steps and reinstalled both Malwarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Privacy but I still cannot connect to any VPN Server.

I've attached the log files and would appreciate any assistance

Regards

Basil

mbst-clean-results.txt mbst-fix-results.txt mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi @Basil_ZA,

Thanks for reporting this.

Could you start by trying the following. This will help narrow down the cause.

• Right-click the Malwarebytes version 4 icon in notification area and click "Quit Malwarebytes".
  • Note: Ensure you click the Malwarebytes icon; not Malwarebytes Privacy.
  • Wait ~20 seconds.
  • Try to connect to a server.

Please let us know the results.

21 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Hi @Basil_ZA,

Thanks for reporting this.

Could you start by trying the following. This will help narrow down the cause.

• Right-click the Malwarebytes version 4 icon in notification area and click "Quit Malwarebytes".
  • Note: Ensure you click the Malwarebytes icon; not Malwarebytes Privacy.
  • Wait ~20 seconds.
  • Try to connect to a server.

Please let us know the results.

Hi @LiquidTension

Thank you for your suggestion. I followed your steps but Privacy still refuses to connect.

Anything else I can try?

Hello @Basil_ZA

Can you please try shutting down your computer and then unplug the power cord from it for 2 minutes.

Unplug the power cord from your Modem/Router for 2 minutes as well.

Then, plug the Modem/Router back in and wait 2 minutes and then plug the computer back in and start up and see if that makes any difference.

If that does not work, then please follow the directions below so that we can get a better look at what hardware and software you have running on your system.

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures and Check VirusTotal.com and Submit Unknown Images
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right-click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

image.png

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right-click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

NOTE: Due to changes from Avast please review the following installer settings

image.png

image.png

Why You Shouldn’t Download CCleaner for Windows anymore
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

Here’s What You Should Use Instead of CCleaner
https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

Avast (CCleaner, Speccy) Privacy Policy

Thank you

Hello @Basil_ZA

Sorry for the delay. I just got word over the weekend that you were trying to post but our spam blocker was preventing that. I have removed the block and you should be able to post now. I'm reviewing your ticket and your logs now.

Can you please send me a private message with the log from this folder as well. You may need to enable show hidden files and folders in order to see that location.

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Privacy\LOGS\MBVPNSERVICE.LOG

On 5/8/2020 at 1:41 AM, Basil_ZA said:

Hi @LiquidTension

Thank you for your suggestion. I followed your steps but Privacy still refuses to connect.

Anything else I can try?

Is this the message you get or do you see something else @Basil_ZA

image.png

Look to be having a couple of issues here @Basil_ZA

Let's try to do a couple of fixes and see if that helps correct the issue

Note: The act of torrenting itself is not illegal. However, downloading and sharing unsanctioned copyrighted material is very much illegal, and there is always a chance of getting caught by the authorities.
Torrenting non-copyrighted material is perfectly fine and is allowed. In many countries including the US the Government and ISP often work together to catch people distributing unsanctioned material.
There has been an increase in the number of infected files shared via torrenting that have gone on to encrypt user's data. Just a reminder that torrenting can be a risky process.

Please consider uninstalling Bonjour

What exactly is mDNSResponder.exe?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/what-is-mdnsresponder-exe-and-why-is-it-running/

MDNSResponder, also known as Bonjour, is Apple’s native zero-configuration networking process for Mac that was ported over to Windows and associated with MDNSNSP.DLL.  On a Mac or iOS device, this program is used for networking nearly everything.  On Windows, this process is only necessary for sharing libraries via iTunes and other Mac applications like the Apple TV that were ported to Windows.  Bonjour allows different computers running iTunes to communicate with each other regardless of network configuration, this is because it enables automatic network discovery.

What Is mDNSResponder.exe / Bonjour and How Can I Uninstall or Remove It?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6456/what-is-mdnsresponder.exe-bonjour-and-how-can-i-uninstall-or-remove-it/

You have Push Notifications enabled for several sites. As long as you're aware it's okay but please review the following
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Temporarily, fully disable your ESET antivirus and run the following items below.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

The fix below will run a disk check to verify the hard drive data integrity. It will also run SFC and DISM to verify all the Windows files are valid and not corrupted. This process may take 30 minutes to an hour depending on the speed of the computer.

Then please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Hi @AdvancedSetup

I followed your suggestions and disabling ESET made no difference. Please find the Fixlog attached.

I have to mentioned that Privacy worked for about 3 days before experiencing this issue. I've tried to reinstall both Malwarebytes Premium and Privacy to no avail

Thanks

Basil

Fixlog.txt

Thank you @Basil_ZA

It's probably best that we have you open a support ticket at this point so that our QA and Dev Team can review further and see what's going on. I was hoping a bit of clean up might correct the issue.

If you can grab one new set of logs now that the clean up process has been completed that would be great. I'll also submit to our internal team for review.

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline

Once you have an open ticket please let me know what the ticket number is so that I can also try to escalate it for you.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Hi @AdvancedSetup

My apologies for replying so late. 

I see Aditya opened a support ticket for me. I will be uploading the log files in a few minutes.

I have one more question which is a little off topic. I've noticed that the speed on the VPN is very slow. I have two identical laptops and although the one refuses to connect the other one works perfectly apart from the horrible speed I am getting over the VPN. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Basil

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you