Hello again Worrier,

Run the following please and return the log to next reply..

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into. "Do not open that file when running FRST fix"
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Thank you,

Kevin.

fixlist.txt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Kevin

I tried to follow the steps to copy the and paste the "Downloads" folder, But the system would not allow me to delete the original d/l folder. (On rightclick I get the option to delete, but then nothing happens)

Have also tried chkdsk again and restarted but restart was normal with no scan.

I did run the fix you requested, and restarted the machine as per popup. Log attached...  (And oh, FRST did an update first)

Regards

Fixlog.txt

Hello Worrier,

Please download VEW by Vino Rosso from HERE and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click VEW.exe. to start, Vista and Windows 7/8/10 users Right Click and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Under 'Select log to query...check the boxes for both Application and System.
  • Under 'Select type to list... select both Error and Critical.
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events...Type 15 in the 1 to 20 box.
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log. It will take a couple of minutes to generate the log, please be patient.

Please post the Output log in your next reply.

Hello again Worrier,

Looks like bad news, it would seem your hard drive has a problem with the file system rather than a hardware issue with the drive. To be totally sure I want you to download DLG (Data Lifeguard Diagnostic) and run both tests (Quick and Extended)

When the tests are completed you will be given either a pass or fail report, post back with the outcome. Download option and full instructions are at the following link:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

If possible you should backup anything important from you hard drive before starting the test process....

Thank you,

Kevin...

Hello Worrier,

So smart, quick and extended tests all give a clean bill of health. We still have the issue with corruption on your OS and command scripts not working... I want open a hidden Administrator account, see if CHKDSK will work from that account...

Open an elevated command prompt..

At the prompt type or copy paste net user administrator /active:yes select enter.

Close out and reboot, you will see a new account "Administartor" select it and follow the prompts through.

Open an elevated command prompt:

At the Command prompt, type

CHKDSK C: /R

hit the Enter key.

You will get a message that the drive cannot be locked, but that the command can be scheduled to run at the next boot - hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot.

The CHKDSK may take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run use the following instructions to find the log:

Check Disk report:

• Press the WindowsKey + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type eventvwr into the run box and click OK.
  • In the left panel, expand Windows Logs and then click on Application.
  • Now, on the right side, click on Filter Current Log.
  • Under Event Sources, (expand the drop down arrow) check only Wininit and click OK.
  • You mayl be presented with one or multiple Wininit logs.
  • Click on an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • On the top main menu, click Action > Copy > Copy Details as Text.
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.

Thanks,

Kevin...

Hi Kevin

I am now back on the original user. Also a no go on the CHKDSK as ADMINISTRATOR. I tried 3x with normal restarts and hard power down. Also tried the sfc /scannow in command prompt. Also did not execute.

Then I tried to run Easeus Tools M out of frustration, but there it would not even let me choose the drive (same as when we started this whole process.)

Question from a total novice.

Would a repair from installation disk not do the trick?

Worrier

Hello Worrier,

Your operating system is not working as it should, it did look initially as if your hard drive may have been ready to pack in, the HD tests have contradicted that possibility. There is still the problem that the OS has been damaged and is definitely corrupt.

In my opinion a system Refresh is worth trying first, that is installing Windows over the top without the loss of data, eg. Videos, pictures, music etc...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

Regards,

Kevin..

Hi Kevin.

At last...Exam time and all

1) I have tried to reset this PC (Keeping my files), But received a error message to the following extent. 

There was a problem resetting your pc.

2) (With Deleting Everyting) 

Startup repair couldn't repair your pc. Press Advanced Options to try other options to repair your pc or "Shut Down"

Log file D:\WINDOWS\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt (but this dvd writer does nor work, so no logfile, sorry)

I then inseted a bootalble usb with an O/S and went to Command prompt... Ran CHKDSK from there and it worked, I will attach the logfiles generated although I received a message stating"failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50"

A rundown of the result attached as "CHKDSK log"

Also tried CHKDSK /scan

and CHKDSK /spotfix

Not one of the last 2 scans ran at restart...

Still cannot delete, copy and paste new Downloads folder from root

Regards

Worrier  

CHKDSK 2 log.txt CHKDSK log.txt CHKDSK scan log.txt CHKDSK spotfix log.txt

Hello Worrier

Can you run the following command as you`ve just did the others and let me know the outcome...

chkdsk /r

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

everytime I try to run (even as Admin) from command prompt I receive a message stating that the drive (X) is locked?

I also tried from cmd as admin and CHKDSK /r would not rus on restrt, but if I go to Event Viever there is a log available. See attached.

Also checked the D/L folder in Admin user ad that one is not corrupted.

CHKDSK r.txt

Hiya Worrier,

What you describe suggests the computer is locked to a different login account. If you select ctrl - alt - delete keys together  you should see an options list..

I`ve attached an image what I see when I select those keys:

user posted image

Do you see that? If you cannot use or select any of those options it maybe that your user profile is corrupt..  Have look at the following link to replace such user profiles..

Obviously we`ve been working on this problem for quite awhile, your HDD was tested and proved to be in good condition along the way. I tend to believe a fresh clean installation of windows is now what I would see as the best option..

Thank you,

Kevin..

Good day Kevin. Yes I still am. I will reload Windows duri g the weekend. My son is writing exams now and with he is using the mashine most of the time for assignments etc. Will let you know when done if OK? 

Thanks Worrier,

If reply time lapse goes over 3 days drop a reply to say you are still with us, I tend to close, lock and move threads after 3 days without a reply.

Good luck to your son with the exams...

Kevin.