[HELP]How to stay safe when I connect old HDDs

Biller

Hello,

I have bought a docking station to connect my 5-10+ year old HDDs to my computer. The HDDs might contain viruses/malwares. I use Windows 10 and I have disabled Autorun and Autoplay. Also, I have only the Windows Security and Malwarebytes. I am going to Run Malwarebytes when I connect them.

My questions are:

1. Am I safe with the disabled Autorun & Autoplay, or should I disable something else as well ?
2. Should I use Virtual Machine before connect my HDDs ?

Thank you in advance! Any other suggestions are welcome.

Since auto-run is disabled, as long as you only copy actual data (documents pictures etc), and do not run any exe's from the drive, you will be fine.

I do this for a living and do several on a weekly basis.

If you want to scan them I would only use Defender. Malwarebytes will take a extremely long time to scan them and will not detect the following file types.

Malwarebytes does not target script files during a scan.. That means MB will not target; JS, HTML, VBS, .CLASS, SWF, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, etc.

It also does not target documents such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, etc.

It also does not target media files;  MP3, WMV, JPG, GIF, etc.

Malwarebytes will detect files like these on execution only.

I highly suggest this program to get the data. I use the Pro version on a daily basis but the Home version will do just fine if you are not a repair shop doing this for a living. https://store.fpnet.fr/product_info.php?products_id=46

Slight learning curve but worth it.

If you are in the US, I can walk you thru it over the phone on the first drive PM me for details.

Edited by Porthos