Win 8.1 + NVIDIA + MWB scan = hang or blue screen

One computer has had the older 'good' version installed for about 2 weeks and I've had no problems there.  The subject computer was running just fine until I installed the older 'good' version of MWB 2 days ago.  The only anomalies experienced in this short time were during a video game session.  The game had been updated prior to the session, so there is some uncertainty there, which is why I decided to clean out MWB and run for another day or two. Regardless of outcome, I will reinstall older, 'good' version of MWB and will report back what I find. 

The computers have different hardware.  Both are Intel based, but several years apart in version and different motherboard manufacturers.  The subject computer has the older hardware.  Both have NVIDIA video cards.  Both run Silicondust HD Homerun software and Media Center. 

When the subject computer started misbehaving, both computers were engaged in coop game play, running the same software.  The errors were related to varying degrees of loss of control through bluetooth keyboard.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.  Recall I have 2 8.1 PCs both used as media PCs.  It appeared that MWB interfered with operation of both.  Upon recommendation of Porthos I cleaned out both machines and installed a version of MWB he recommended (see post #20).  One machine, the newer one, is running fine.  The other had some trouble.  I said I would remove MWB from the 'troubled' 8.1 and see how stable the 'troubled' PC becomes.

Its been quite a while as my Win 10 Surface Go updated to 2004 and it, too, became 'troubled'.  This is a known issue with MWB, but took me a while to isolate the problem to MWB before I went to the forums.

Now I'm back to the 'troubled' 8.1 machine which has been running trouble-free since I removed MWB.  Just 2 hours ago, I re-cleaned the machine with MWB support tool and installed the recommended version of MWB.  I immediately lost my bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Removed MWB (again), got mouse and keyboard repaired.  FYI the bluetooth is not motherboard based, but a USB dongle.

Not sure what the problem is here, but it definitely lies with MWB.

PS.  I re-installed MWB on the Sufarce Go and disabled Ransomware protection as recommended.  So far, it seems OK, but nags about Ransomware being disabled.

PPS.  I have an HP desktop running Win 10 that is running fine with MWB.

Dan

Thanks for the updates.  If you wish, you may disable the alerts about Ransomware Protection using the option to disable alerts for real-time protection being turned off under the Notifications tab in settings.  That will disable any notifications about real-time protection being disabled so that you aren't nagged about Ransomware Protection.