deemiche

Need help for popup verifyisreal on MAC

I keep getting a small popup in upper right section of my MAC screen saying my Mac is infected   verifyisreal  Check ur MAC for viruses- I ran Malwarebytes and the scan came up clean. I dont know what to do now

Posted (edited)

This forum is for reporting and uploading of newly found malware, so it won't be seen by the folks that can be of most help to you, and I'll ask @AdvancedSetup to move it to the Mac Malware Removal Help and Support Forum.

Meanwhile, I can't tell for certain without seeing a screen-shot of the popup what it is, but sounds like it's a notification from macOS that the Malwarebytes Real-Time scanner found some malware. If that's what it is then instead of running a scan you should click on the "Scanner" sections (not the "Scan" button) and then chose the "View report" button on the right to see what has been detected and what, if anything, was done about it. You can click on any blue entry to learn more about that infection.

Edited by alvarnell

Thx-- u can tell Im not experienced with this... I appreciate ur help!!! 

The topic has been moved per request. Someone should reply to your topic by tomorrow

Thank you

Be sure to check my previous posting as I may have added to it after you first read it. Let me know if you fail to find what your are looking for in the Reports section along with a screen-shot of that popup the next time you see it.

In that small rectangle popup  theres a small chrome wheel icon  then a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it   Next to that circle it says "Your Mac is infected?

I tried to copy and paste the popup- now a new one just came in that spot thatthats a 'Mcafee renewal notification also with verifyisreal.com-- I dont even have Mcafee >>> im really confused

0.jpg.e15afe2ac116aef80782bcb582edba09.jpg

Im in NY..I will check for any help or advise from u in the ,orning.. Be safe and again- Thx!!!

3 minutes ago, deemiche said:

In that small rectangle popup  theres a small chrome wheel icon  then a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it   Next to that circle it says "Your Mac is infected?

You issue is inside Chrome. Please follow the steps in the following topic to fix.

2 hours ago, deemiche said:

Thanks for providing that screenshot, proving my guess was somewhat off. That's a notification popup initiated by Chrome and likely comes from some malvertisement from a site that you are visiting at the time. Although it could possibly be a Chrome Sync issue if you have multiple computers/devices that use Chrome, it can also be the results of not using a good adblocker add-on for Chrome. Malwarebytes provides one tailored for Chrome called Malwarebytes Browser Guard available for free from the Chrome Web Store.

Hi @deemiche,

The issue is described as browser push in notification. This is not due to malware. That site is able to send notifications, which would have that appearance.

You would have been tricked into allowing that site to send you notifications at some point in the past.

Please follow the below instructions on Chrome to remove them.

• On your computer, open Chrome.
  • At the top right, click More lj8iQ_V4mFOCNvLv_0Pgdh5G9kz-IbZHPvBjCmllTb9oQwZpKJnU5HXYZoXVMEfhs8M=w18-h183_l97rr0GvhSP2XV5OoCkV2ZDTIisAOczrSdzNCBxhIKWrjXjHucxNwocghoUa39gw=w18-h18Settings.
  • Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
  • Click Notifications.
  • Under allow section, remove unwanted sites or the site in question. (verifyreal .com)

For more details, please refer to below articles:

for Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

For Firefox

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox

For Safari

https://support.apple.com/en-am/guide/safari/customize-website-notifications-sfri40734/mac

Refer to blog on browser push notification > https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Thank you for the step by step details-- It seems to have worked so far!!! I love to learn new things and Im very appreciative!    hoping it doesnt happen again

9 hours ago, alvarnell said:

That's a notification popup initiated by Chrome and likely comes from some malvertisement from a site that you are visiting at the time.

You actually wouldn't have to be visiting it at the time. All that's required is that at some point in the past you were somehow directed to that site and tricked into allowing it to send you notifications. Thereafter, the browser will show you notifications from that site any time the site pushes them out.

Thanks again to everyone for the help- I think the popup is gone...