Hi,

in the past couple of days I had the BSOF several times caused by "mwac.sys" (I just had one while writing this topic and after running mb-support tool).

Now I closed malwarebytes so I can actually use my laptop. I think docker may started this problem because it started after installing docker desktop.

I have attached the logs files.

mbst-grab-results.zip

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I see that you also have Bitdefender installed.  It is possible that the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes (which is what mwac.sys is responsible for) is conflicting with a similar protection in Bitdefender resulting in the BSOD.  Please see if disabling any component(s) of Bitdefender's protection corrects the issue.

Additionally, I would highly recommend trying out the latest beta of Malwarebytes as it may fix the problem as well.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then enable beta updates under the General tab and click the blue Check for updates link found under the About tab and allow Malwarebytes to install the update and then restart your system to test and see if the issue has been corrected.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

I see that you also have Bitdefender installed.  It is possible that the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes (which is what mwac.sys is responsible for) is conflicting with a similar protection in Bitdefender resulting in the BSOD.  Please see if disabling any component(s) of Bitdefender's protection corrects the issue.

Additionally, I would highly recommend trying out the latest beta of Malwarebytes as it may fix the problem as well.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then enable beta updates under the General tab and click the blue Check for updates link found under the About tab and allow Malwarebytes to install the update and then restart your system to test and see if the issue has been corrected.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I had  Bitdefender and Malwarebytes working together for more than 6 months without any problem.

I updated Malwarebytes as you suggested, and if it happened again I will take a look at Bitdefender's settings.

Excellent, and no BSOD's so far since updating?  I'm betting the BSOD was a result of one of the recent updates to Bitdefender and/or Malwarebytes that caused the conflict.  I know that Malwarebytes has been fixing numerous issues with BSODs lately so hopefully the beta has fixed the issue for good.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Excellent, and no BSOD's so far since updating?  I'm betting the BSOD was a result of one of the recent updates to Bitdefender and/or Malwarebytes that caused the conflict.  I know that Malwarebytes has been fixing numerous issues with BSODs lately so hopefully the beta has fixed the issue for good.

unfortunately it just happened again :(

Maybe I have to disable one of the options in screenshots, any suggestion on which I should disable? 

1362260268_Annotation2020-05-02213939.thumb.png.91ad1e22311e72ed24644cf0919d0987.png

image.thumb.png.0a148ceb78396c752657fba877aa648b.png

Try disabling the Web attack prevention component to see if that helps.  If it doesn't, do the same with the Fraud protection and then the Phishing protection individually to see if disabling any one (or combination of 2 or 3 of them) eliminates the issue.  Wherever the conflict may be (assuming it is indeed a conflict with Bitdefender as I suspect), it exists in the Web Protection component which blocks malicious websites in Malwarebytes so it is likely a similar function/component in Bitdefender causing the crash/BSOD when both are active.

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

This the third  time I am writing this reply the BSOD interpreted me twice :)

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Try disabling the Web attack prevention component to see if that helps.  If it doesn't, do the same with the Fraud protection and then the Phishing protection individually to see if disabling any one (or combination of 2 or 3 of them) eliminates the issue.  Wherever the conflict may be (assuming it is indeed a conflict with Bitdefender as I suspect), it exists in the Web Protection component which blocks malicious websites in Malwarebytes so it is likely a similar function/component in Bitdefender causing the crash/BSOD when both are active.

It happened twice while the the Web attack prevention is disabled.

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

It happened also twice after adding the exclusions both ways.

I still think docker desktop may caused the problem because it started right after installing it 🤔 or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Thank you so much both @exile360 and @Porthos , for now I stopped the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes, because I am working on an impotent project for the next couple of weeks, by then hopefully the issue will be resolved. 

Sounds good.  In the meantime, you should install the free Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension into your web browser to protect you on the web as it provides much of the protection Web Protection does, just limited to your browser (the most at-risk application on your PC for web based threats by far) and also includes extras such as blocking ads, trackers (to protect your privacy), clickbait site blocking as well as unique behavior based blocking for numerous web threats including tech support scam sites.

You can learn more and download it here and it is available for Google Chrome and other Chromium based browsers, including SRWare Iron which is what I personally use, as well as Microsoft Edge Chromium and Mozilla Firefox.  It is fully compatible with the Web Protection in Malwarebytes so once the issue has been fixed you may continue using both to enhance the protection of your PC.

Once your project is over, if you could perform some additional testing to try and narrow down the cause of the issue that would be most helpful, however we understand if you do not have the time.  I am curious about what you said regarding Docker Desktop and I'd like to know if removing and/or disabling that makes any difference.

Either way, keep an eye on this area of the forums for any new Malwarebytes releases so that you can stay up to date and get the fix as soon as it is available.  Normally new releases are rolled out to users gradually, however you may override this by opening Malwarebytes and accessing settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then selecting the About tab and clicking the blue Check for updates link found there.  If a new version of Malwarebytes is available it will be downloaded and you will be notified and prompted to install it.

Hello @abdullah-j

It looks like there was a bug-check but the last one may not have created the file. Please look and see if you have any dump files that you can zip and upload.

Error: (05/02/2020 04:57:18 PM) (Source: BugCheck) (EventID: 1001) (User: )
Description: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000100000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8069955fe37). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\050220-9031-01.dmp. Report Id: f075b6fd-92ba-49b2-b4fb-c80e8b73af4b.

Error: (05/02/2020 04:57:09 PM) (Source: volmgr) (EventID: 161) (User: )
Description: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

Error: (05/02/2020 04:57:17 PM) (Source: EventLog) (EventID: 6008) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 4:56:29 PM on ‎5/‎2/‎2020 was unexpected.

Please look in the following folder for possible dump files.
C:\Windows\Minidump

Thanks

Hello @AdvancedSetup

I cleaned my disk yesterday that may remove some of the files I am not sure, but I found the files for the last four times before disabling the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes you can find it in the attachments

Thank you

minidump.zip

Hi @abdullah-j,

Thanks for the report. This is likely caused by an incompatibility between Malwarebytes and Web Protection. We have observed the same 0xD1 BSOD before where BitDefender was also implicated.

Can you try disabling all "Online Threat Prevention" settings in BitDefender, reboot the machine (this is important!) and then re-enable Web Protection in Malwarebytes.

Please let us know how you get on.