OptimumSearch

I have installed, paid, and ran Malwarebytes premium, yet Optimumsearch is still on my computer. I have tried all the suggested methods of removal: 1) It doesn't show up in my Control Panel programs to be uninstalled; 2) It doesn't give me the option (trash bin) to remove in the extensions window of Chrome settings; 3) I have reset to default settings in Chrome (it re-appears); 4) I have also downloaded and ran Adwcleaner, with no results, my browser is still being managed by the virus program. It did allow me to change my opening page. Any suggestions out there on how to permanently rid this virus? Thanks.

Hi,     :welcome:
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible. 

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.6.0.774.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.
Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.
Thank you,
Sincerely.

Thanks, Maurice. I downloaded the support tool program, upon clicking the application, I do not get the "Get Started" page you mentioned, but a page titled "Hello! What can we help you with today" and 2 options being "I don't have an open Support ticket" and "I have an open Support ticket". Although, I went ahead and clicked on the advance tab and found the Gather Logs option. I have attached the zip file as instructed. Thanks, again, John.

mbst-grab-results.zip

It only seems to be running my Chrome browser. I first noticed it a couple days ago as it changed my startup screen. When I went to my Chrome settings, I noticed in the search engine section, the notation, "OptimumSearch is controling this setting". Upon further research, I then noticed the unavailability to remove this virus. Although, it doesn't seem to be effecting my Internet Explorer browser.

Thanks for the report.   You did fine.

The last scan with Malwarebytes for Windows reported no malware on-board.

I am mildly curious why you make mention of "virus" ?   

I then noticed the unavailability to remove this virus.

Anyhow, to proceed forward with actions.   I need for you to only use the Windows 10 EDGE browser for the duration.   That is the fancy blue-icon on the Windows taskbar that looks like a fancy letter E in blue.

I need for you to download FRST64  >>>>Save it without opening it  >>>go to the Downloads folder where saved >>>Rename the FRST64.exe   to FRSTENGLISH.exe

Gotta have that before running the report.

Using EDGE  >>>     Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file  to the Downloads folder.

Go to the Downloads folder.  Locate FRST64.exe.  Use the mouse pointer on it , do a RIGHT-click & select RENAME

& rename it to FRSTENGLISH.exe

Run report with FRSTENGLISH.     

Right-click on FRSTENGLISH and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5d47975010636d1d032768cefa8d6625.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you for the reports.    ( my bad on location ).

The reports show one setting that blocks some changes to Chrome, plus, also 2 Chrome settings that make use of search (dot)  optimum (dot)  icu

This next custom fix should squash those.

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.
Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

This custom script is for  JWmCox    only / for this machine only.
Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It will involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.
I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRSTENGLISH window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Fixlist.txt

I opened Chrome and went to settings and the OptimumSearch extension is GONE! Thanks so much. You area a genius, you deserve a raise. Please be safe, stay healthy, and best of luck to you in the future, may you have a blessed day, week, and year, cheers from Texas.

John

That is a very good run.   

Let me suggest this:    I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome. 
To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome, 

Open this link in your Chrome   browser:  
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee 

Then proceed with the setup. 

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

@JWmCox

You may delete mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe   on the Downloads folder.

Delete  mbst-grab-results.zip  on the Desktop

To remove the FRST tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your Downloads folder.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe .
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

I do wish you all the best.   Stay safe.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue