Keeps on saying that BitTorrent has a Trojin virus

Ben_L

I have non prime BitTorrent which means I get ads. I dont mind them but I keep on getting notification saying Trojan blocked from BitTorrent.exe I wouldnt mind it so much if the notification didnt keep on popping up. I tried to add it to the exclusions for virus detection but it didnt work. If I could just hide the notification for BitTorrent that would be nice. Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Ben_L said:

If I could just hide the notification for BitTorrent that would be nice. Thank you.

As for why Malwarebytes blocked BitTorrent , this is because BitTorrent , and all torrent software, are what are known as Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications meaning it connects to many different servers/IP addresses (this is how files are downloaded through BitTorrent ) and because of this, sometimes BitTorrent will connect to a server that is also known for hosting malicious content.  This is because servers/IP addresses are often shared by multiple sites, so while what you are downloading through BitTorrent may be perfectly safe, some of the sites hosted on some of the IP addresses that BitTorrent connects to may be malicious.  Such connections are not a threat however, and you may exclude BitTorrent from the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes to stop the blocks from happening without compromising your protection (your web browser and other critical web facing programs will still be fully protected from malicious websites and other malicious content).  To do so, add BitTorrent to your exclusions using the method described under the Exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet section of this support article.

File sharing involves using technology that allows internet users to share files that are housed on their individual computers. Peer-to-peer (P2P) applications, such as those used to share music files, are some of the most common forms of file-sharing technology. However, P2P applications introduce security risks that may put your information or your computer in jeopardy.  Risks of File-Sharing Technology

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

43 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As for why Malwarebytes blocked BitTorrent , this is because BitTorrent , and all torrent software, are what are known as Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications meaning it connects to many different servers/IP addresses (this is how files are downloaded through BitTorrent ) and because of this, sometimes BitTorrent will connect to a server that is also known for hosting malicious content.  This is because servers/IP addresses are often shared by multiple sites, so while what you are downloading through BitTorrent may be perfectly safe, some of the sites hosted on some of the IP addresses that BitTorrent connects to may be malicious.  Such connections are not a threat however, and you may exclude BitTorrent from the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes to stop the blocks from happening without compromising your protection (your web browser and other critical web facing programs will still be fully protected from malicious websites and other malicious content).  To do so, add BitTorrent to your exclusions using the method described under the Exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet section of this support article.

File sharing involves using technology that allows internet users to share files that are housed on their individual computers. Peer-to-peer (P2P) applications, such as those used to share music files, are some of the most common forms of file-sharing technology. However, P2P applications introduce security risks that may put your information or your computer in jeopardy.  Risks of File-Sharing Technology

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

image.thumb.png.6c4dcc99a115783940eddf2ca93a7615.png

I have it in my exclusions folder but for some reason it consistently pops up.

2 minutes ago, Ben_L said:

I have it in my exclusions folder but for some reason it consistently pops up.

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

To do so, add BitTorrent to your exclusions using the method described under the Exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet section of this support article.

Allow an application to connect to the Internet

To prevent Malwarebytes for Windows from blocking an application you trust, add the application executable.

1. Click Allow an application to connect to the Internet.
  2. To find the application, click Browse.
  3. Select the application executable you want to add, then click Open.
  4. Click Done to confirm your changes.

2020-04-27_17h09_14.png

• 7 months later...

It does same for me. AND I followed instruction for allow list and exclusions and still, ever time bittorrent is run it blocks it. So Malwarebytes technicians your telling me this Mawarebytes Premium service CANNOT tell the difference between a P2P program and a real virus!?!?!?!? That's immensly encouraging. That's hard to believe but rather than try to get it to work for the 50th time I'm just gonna uninstall it and quit my free premium trial 4 days early. What a hassle! Goodbye.

• Staff
29 minutes ago, cameronwo475 said:

It does same for me. AND I followed instruction for allow list and exclusions and still, ever time bittorrent is run it blocks it. So Malwarebytes technicians your telling me this Mawarebytes Premium service CANNOT tell the difference between a P2P program and a real virus!?!?!?!? That's immensly encouraging. That's hard to believe but rather than try to get it to work for the 50th time I'm just gonna uninstall it and quit my free premium trial 4 days early. What a hassle! Goodbye.

Hi cameronwo475,

As Porthos explained, apps that use Peer-to-Peer (P2P) functionality might connect to many different servers/IP addresses that can be malicious.

Can you please post a screenshot of the exclusion window? As if you exclude the P2P app, there shouldn't be any warnings.

Thank you!

Dashke, Porthos, Ben L and Malwarebytes staff, please forgive my abrupt rudeness; I was experiencing a perfect storm of disappointments in multiple facets of my life and I handled this problem very poorly by taking it out on you guys. I'm truly sorry. Let me start by saying when I excluded BitTorrent I did it first using "Allow File/Folder"; then after it appeared again I used "Allow a website" since those were the object types that Malwarebytes had an issue with. I uninstalled Malwarebytes three days ago but as of 12/20/2020 7pm I've re-installed it and only have 1 day left on my Premium Trial but I'm going to use BitTorrent after I write this and I used "Allow an Application to Connect to the Internet" to exclude Bitorrent. I've attached the screenshot for you.

On another note I was hoping somebody could answer a few questions I have as I am also including a screenshot of a Windows Security detection on BitTorrent. As you can see from the screenshot, Windows Security constantly flags uTorrent on my computer but the file path always leads to the BitTorrent program. I've never downloaded uTorrent on my computer; only BitTorrent. Is Windows Security seeing BitTorrent as uTorrent? There have been times when Windows Security will alert me about BitTorrent (uTorrent) being malicious when I HAVE NOT installed it yet.I would like to know if you download a program to your Desktop (folder) or Downloads (folder) but DO NOT install it can it do any harm to your computer? I've read it's recommended to download programs to desktop and install them from there; is the desktop like a sandbox where nothing can harm your computer? I know some of this pertains to Microsoft Co. so any help/answers I get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dashke, Porthos (nice Username!), Ben L. for your knowledge thus far.  KNOWLEDGE=HAPPINESS

P.S. I just ran BitTorrent with proper exclusion (Allow an application to connect to the Internet) and received an alert when I scanned computer. It says "Object type: File". Can you help me understand why a person shouldn't use "Allow a file or folder" instead; and also to figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thank you for your time and patience.

Malwarebytes Allow List.PNG

Malwarebytes PUP detection of BitTorrent.PNG

Windows Security message about Bittorrent.PNG

Bittorrent and u torrent are PUP's Potentially Unwanted Programs to Malwarebytes and, PUA, Potentially Unwanted Applications to Microsoft.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, pantheradude said:

i have a similar issue but it deleted my already installed bittorrent and refuses to let me reinstall it............. 

On 12/20/2020 at 11:26 PM, Porthos said:

Bittorrent and u torrent are PUP's Potentially Unwanted Programs to Malwarebytes and, PUA, Potentially Unwanted Applications to Microsoft.

You are going to have to exclude it or use a different torrent program like qBitorrent.