Jump to content

Web Protection blocking WOL command tool


Recommended Posts

I've been using MB for years along with a command line tool for Wake On LAN (WOL) from depicus dot com (WolCmd.exe). Just recently I was not able to wake any of my computers and found if I turned off "Web Protection" in MB the WOL works like it should. Web Protection on, WOL does not work, Web Protection off, WOL works fine.

There are no popups from MB saying it has blocked anything and there is nothing in the history that it blocked anything. Everything seems normal when I run the WOL command with no indication there is a problem.

In the Allow List area I added the file and folder for WolCmd.exe but that didn't help.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates as of today, v1909, build 18363.778.

Thanks, PB

Link to post
Share on other sites

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

  • For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler
 
 
 
 
Spoiler

 

 

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

 

 

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

  • Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

 

 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Panic_Button said:

In the Allow List area I added the file and folder for WolCmd.exe but that didn't help.

Add the exe to the following section.

 

2020-04-27_17h09_14.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Add the exe to the following section.

 

2020-04-27_17h09_14.png

Thanks for the reply and sorry if I did not make myself clear enough, but I have already done that.

Also, I should  noted what version of MB I'm using, v4.1.0.56, Update package v1.0.23210, Component package v1.0.889.

Thanks, PB

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Panic_Button said:

Thanks for the reply and sorry if I did not make myself clear enough, but I have already done that.

You posted you added the file and folder, NOT the actual exe to the highlighted section in my screenshot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

You posted you added the file and folder, NOT the actual exe to the highlighted section in my screenshot.

You are correct, that's why I said I was sorry for not making myself clear! There's no need to SHOUT at me either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Panic_Button said:

You are correct, that's why I said I was sorry for not making myself clear! There's no need to SHOUT at me either.

The intention was not to shout. There is another user having this same issue. Please rport the file in the section I posted so it can be possibly fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Panic_Button

  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Thank you

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone and requested reports are attached.

Just an FYI, I use o&oshutup10. I did revert back to all the Windows 10 default settings but that did not help. I've been using it for a long time with no ill effects of any kind that I'm aware of.  I reran o&oshutup10 again and used all their recommend changes before running the support tool to gather the logs. That way my computer is at the stage of where it has been running for a long time.

Thanks, PB

mbst-clean-results.txt mbst-grab-results.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites

Error: (05/01/2020 10:29:10 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The aksfridge service failed to start due to the following error:
This driver has been blocked from loading

This appears to be from this service which may not support your current version of Windows? or need an update?

S2 aksfridge; C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aksfridge.sys [128512 2008-03-18] (Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher -> Aladdin Knowledge Systems Ltd.)

 

There are some other minor issues as well. I've moved your topic to the malware removal forum where I can assist you with some clean up work to try. Back in a few minutes with a script to run

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Panic_Button

You're certainly running some unique software compared to most users. Is this a business computer?

The following script will run SFC and DISM to check and verify that all Windows operating system files are good. It will also delete all temporary files and empty the recycle bin and then on reboot it will run a disk check to validate disk and data integrity.
Depending on the speed of  your computer it may take from 30 minutes to an hour to complete.

 

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thank  you

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Error: (05/01/2020 10:29:10 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The aksfridge service failed to start due to the following error:
This driver has been blocked from loading

This appears to be from this service which may not support your current version of Windows? or need an update?

S2 aksfridge; C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aksfridge.sys [128512 2008-03-18] (Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher -> Aladdin Knowledge Systems Ltd.)

 

There are some other minor issues as well. I've moved your topic to the malware removal forum where I can assist you with some clean up work to try. Back in a few minutes with a script to run

 

 

 

5 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Panic_Button

You're certainly running some unique software compared to most users. Is this a business computer?

The following script will run SFC and DISM to check and verify that all Windows operating system files are good. It will also delete all temporary files and empty the recycle bin and then on reboot it will run a disk check to validate disk and data integrity.
Depending on the speed of  your computer it may take from 30 minutes to an hour to complete.

 

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt 1.04 kB · 1 download

Thank  you

 

Thanks for your time and I did as you asked, the log file was created and attached.

I still have the issue. I have to either exit MB or turn off web protection to get the WOL command tool to work. The command line tool itself is working, running okay, not reporting there is an issue, but the end results is the computer I trying to wake up, does not wake up until MB is turned off.

I find it odd that I've been running this WOL command line tool for years (I've also downloaded the latest version) right along side MB with no issues until recently. MB does not pop up any kind of message saying that it's blocking anything, nor is it giving me a chance to add it to the allow list. I can't find any mention of this being blocked when I open MB and look in history and nothing has be quarantined.

"You're certainly running some unique software compared to most users." How so, good or bad?

"Is this a business computer?" No, personal home computer.

Thanks, PB

 

Fixlog.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the log and the information.

Not good or bad as far as unique software. It was just noticed that many different things not often seen was all.

 

This probably will not make a difference but please go ahead and try.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

 Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Thank you for the log and the information.

Not good or bad as far as unique software. It was just noticed that many different things not often seen was all.

 

This probably will not make a difference but please go ahead and try.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

 Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Thanks

Thanks and I did the cleaning on the first round, but I just did it again, no help.

I think for now I will just disable web protection since it's just a couple mouse clicks when I want to use the WOL command line tool, then reenable it when done, which is only a few seconds or so.

Thanks again and I will post back if I should come up with a solution to this issue.

Cheers, PB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, that log looks good.

Sorry the program is causing you an issue. If you do decide you want to have us look at this further though let me know and we can try to get some dump logs to submit.

Take care

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.