Speed test results...

Without the program running on my laptop...HP Pavillion G series

36 Mpbs upload

With the program turned on

23 Mpbs

so for me it slows down

I live in oregon and have seattle as my server

Posted (edited)

I've only saw one other comment in another forum, guy said that MB Privacy slowed down his connection by 70%. Of course everyone's results will vary but that is why there should be a free trial so potential users can see how this program reacts on their computers before buying.

Edit: Guess I should read the forums more, just saw there was  MB Privacy beta testing opportunity that is closed now, if I would have known I would have tried the beta from the start, just as I've tried numerous MB betas in the past. And would have stopped me from whining about a free trial. 😄

Edited by digmorcrusher

There is no VPN software that I have ever seen reviewed or used personally, and I've used quite a few of them over the years, that does not slow down your downloads. Upload speeds for me are the within 1% of non VPN speeds which is again typically unheard of. If you're on a symmetrical connection (rare for home users) then your upload speeds might be slower but again on VPN that is to be expected from every vendor I've seen reviewed.

My non VPN download speed is officially 400 Mbps but I often get up to about 460 Mbps. This is my connection while on Malwarebytes Privacy VPN

image.png

If you know of a review of any other VPN that gets that kind of speed please let me know. ExpressVPN and Nord VPN are not giving me anything close to that speed.

Now, on VMware Workstation 15.5.2 the story is very different. With all the latest updates I'm getting a maximum download speed of about 11 Mbps and one of the worst speeds I've used in a long time. I was not able to track down what is actually causing such a slow speed as it does it on different physical computers with VMware setup too but ExpressVPN and Cyberghost VPN don't experience that same slow down. So on VMware for me it is very slow to the point it is unusable for me, but on physical hardware of 3 different systems I've tried it on the speed is at least 2x to 3x faster than any other VPN I've used.

Absolutely most VPN"s will slow you down, results will vary per user, I use Windscribe occasionally and if you pick the right location the slowdown is almost non-existent. Never heard of an VPN speeding up your connection but I guess its possible, hey if MB Privacy speeds up my connection by 15% like you, I'm buying. 

AdvancedSetup nice speeds bro...wish i came close to that

Posted (edited)

Without Software on again

4/24/2020 9:37 PM      Ping 20      UP 47.73      Down 5.96      ~ Distance 50      Corvallis, OR PEAK Internet

With software

4/24/2020 9:45 PM     Ping 20        Upload 33.18      Download 5.74   Distance 50   Seattle, WA

Edited by hayc59

On a 200/10 connection.

And It also lets me use Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos now.

2020-04-25_00h49_38.png

1 hour ago, hayc59 said:

Without Software on again

4/24/2020 9:37 PM      Ping 20      UP 47.73      Down 5.96      ~ Distance 50      Corvallis, OR PEAK Internet

With software

4/24/2020 9:45 PM     Ping 20        Upload 33.18      Download 5.74   Distance 50   Seattle, WA

Are you sure this is a physical computer or is this a virtual desktop?

1 hour ago, digmorcrusher said:

Absolutely most VPN"s will slow you down, results will vary per user, I use Windscribe occasionally and if you pick the right location the slowdown is almost non-existent. Never heard of an VPN speeding up your connection but I guess its possible, hey if MB Privacy speeds up my connection by 15% like you, I'm buying. 

No, it does not increase my speed. I typically can get up to 460 Mbps from time to time without VPJN even though my paid for speed is 400 Mbps. I'm just saying with ExpressVPN and others I cannot get over 200 Mbps and in most cases only about just over 100 Mbps. On CyberGhost I used to get over 100 Mbps but after a couple of years of use the speeds kept dropping and dropping until finally I stopped using them as it was getting hard to even get 40 Mbps from them. Now that I think about it that seems to be after they were bought out, sad to see that happen but can't use them anymore because of such slow speeds.

From another vendor review for Windscribe. As you can see he was getting only half of his non VPN bandwidth. I've not tested it myself but it falls in line with my experience of other similar VPN products.

image.png

11 hours ago, digmorcrusher said:

Hi digmorcrusher , I'm the guy on the other forum. Here is my original post:

I took a chance and signed up for Malwarebytes Privacy today. I have been thinking about a VPN service for a long time.
From what I have been reading, the service this is based on is supposed to be faster than most other services.
What I'm seeing so far, depending on what server I connect to the download/upload speed is reduced to 10 to 30% of my normal download/upload speed.
I normally have 200/20 Mbps download/upload speed but with Malwarebytes Privacy enabled my speed drops anywhere to 20/2 to 55~/4~ Mbps download/upload speed.
I'm just curious as to what experience any of you have using other VPN services?

I will be doing more testing toady and post some results.

My internet service is Suddenlink 200/20 Mbps plan. I'm located in WV.

Thanks Porthos for recommending to sign on here.

Further testing:

The following results were using AT&T Speed Test site.
From nearest to most distant locations.

I refreshed the internet page each time after switching servers.

Connected to router via 1g ethernet cable.
VPN Off
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 12:33:28 PM)
Download Speed 211.3 Mbps (26412.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 21.9 Mbps (2737.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 30 ms

Vpn on Ney York, NY
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 12:41:15 PM)
Download Speed 57.6 Mbps (7200 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 20.72 Mbps (2590 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 49 ms

Vpn on Chicago, IL
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 12:37:17 PM)
Download Speed 31.7 Mbps (3962.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 20.68 Mbps (2585 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency HELP 56 ms

Vpn on Atlanta, GA
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 12:45:14 PM)
Download Speed HELP 37.7 Mbps (4712.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed HELP 23.12 Mbps (2890 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency HELP 51 ms

Vpn on Denver, CO
(failed to connect two times)
(Server Not Found when refreshing site one time)
(Speed Test Failed One Time)

Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 12:49:45 PM)
Download Speed 29.9 Mbps (3737.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 16.16 Mbps (2020 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 108 ms

Vpn on Dallas, TX
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 12:53:42 PM)
Download Speed 31 Mbps (3875 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 20.67 Mbps (2583.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 89 ms

Vpn on Salt Lake City, UT
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 12:57:09 PM)
Download Speed 47 Mbps (5875 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 16.49 Mbps (2061.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 93 ms

Vpn on Miami, FL
(failed to connect one time)
(Server Not Found when refreshing site one time)

Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 1:03:19 PM)
Download Speed 47.8 Mbps (5975 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 19.86 Mbps (2482.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 59 ms

Vpn on Los Angeles, CA
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 1:07:26 PM)
Download Speed 2.52 Mbps (315 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 4.4 Mbps (550 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 90 ms

Vpn on Seattle, WA
Your Test Results (Tested on 4/25/2020, 1:11:11 PM)
Download Speed 3.16 Mbps (395 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed 8.28 Mbps (1035 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency 119 ms

11 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Are you sure this is a physical computer or is this a virtual desktop?

This is a laptop pc not virtual

The server I use on Windscribe slows me down about 10%, other servers I've tried were worse, but I just use it occasionally so not a big deal. If Privacy ever offers a free trial I will give it a whirl to see how it plays on my computer.

@Jonnie1

Probably best to start your own new topic and submit logs so that Support can review and see if they can assist you. Though checking other sites gives some what of a feel for speed one typically would choose a local site for best speed. Perhaps your physical hardware is having a similar issue that my virtual is having which is preventing full speed.

47 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

@Jonnie1

Probably best to start your own new topic and submit logs so that Support can review and see if they can assist you. Though checking other sites gives some what of a feel for speed one typically would choose a local site for best speed. Perhaps your physical hardware is having a similar issue that my virtual is having which is preventing full speed.

Thanks, I did, the topic is "Number of servers". Thanks

I purchased this on 4-29 and my results have been disappointing speed-wise. I have 200/20 service thru Mediacom. Three different speed tests non-vpn give me 250/25 which is better than promised. With vpn turned on I get 125/20 which is not acceptable. I tried three different servers closest to me and the speeds remained about the same.

Prior to the purchase I did a fair amount of surfing sites that talked about who needs vpn and why. I pretty much decided that I didn't need it but thought it might be a good idea to try it out. The compelling reason I purchased this  product was the touting of the Wireguard protocol that "promised" minimal speed impact. Well, say good-bye to minimal impact.

I guess I will keep the product and figger out later how and when (if ever) to use it. On the plus side, it's ridiculously easy to use and relatively cheap.

Thank you for your feedback @marmackco

Though not as good as the results some of are seeing it is still a good speed compared to many VPN applications. The speed is on par with at least a couple of other VPN solutions but not as good as myself and some others are getting. If you like you can submit some logs and we can see if there is anything we can do to improve speed or not, or if you like you can submit for a refund.

You can submit a ticket to our Helpdesk support for either decision and someone will be happy to assist you
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you again

1 hour ago, marmackco said:

I purchased this on 4-29 and my results have been disappointing speed-wise. I have 200/20 service thru Mediacom. Three different speed tests non-vpn give me 250/25 which is better than promised. With vpn turned on I get 125/20 which is not acceptable. I tried three different servers closest to me and the speeds remained about the same.

Prior to the purchase I did a fair amount of surfing sites that talked about who needs vpn and why. I pretty much decided that I didn't need it but thought it might be a good idea to try it out. The compelling reason I purchased this  product was the touting of the Wireguard protocol that "promised" minimal speed impact. Well, say good-bye to minimal impact.

I guess I will keep the product and figger out later how and when (if ever) to use it. On the plus side, it's ridiculously easy to use and relatively cheap.

See the thread I started,  "Number of servers". I just ran a speed test after reading your post and my speed today with VPN on was about the same as with it off. I have 200/20 service and the speed test I just ran was 193/20.

If you have a slow connection over the VPN, try disconnecting to the server and re-connecting. That was suggested to me by one of the staff. I find it does help.

4 hours ago, Jonnie1 said:

If you have a slow connection over the VPN, try disconnecting to the server and re-connecting. That was suggested to me by one of the staff. I find it does help.

That makes sense.  Malwarebytes Privacy likely works similar to most other VPNs where it will try to connect to the fastest server for your location at the time and the server you are currently connected to may have been faster previously (or the fastest available at the time based on traffic) but may not be the best/fastest server available to you at the moment so disconnecting/reconnecting should force the program to check available servers once more and determine the fastest one to connect to.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:20 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

The underlying service and quality of service is very difficult to maintain. Even without VPN or Malwarebytes running if you do various scans and tests you'll see that your quality of service and speed fluctuates quite a bit around the clock assuming your ISP can even keep you connected at all times, many cannot.

There are so many variables involved in Internet traffic with loads, speeds, redirects, fail overs, routing errors, server errors, etc. etc.  This VPN is new to me as well and there were several issues I've reported during internal beta testing (most have been corrected already) but once connected to a close server and all these variables working in your favor, the speed is amazing.

Periodic slow servers is a known issue for every VPN I've ever used in the many years I've been using them, but as said, even non VPN speeds can also fluctuate. The concern I have is when the VPN connection is always slow regardless of how many times you connect or what day you connect. I have not experienced that with this VPN software except as I've said before, on my virtual workstation. Hopefully there will be a fix for that sooner or later as well, it does not affect my physical computer.

That's why I love my DSL connection.  It isn't the fastest connection ever, but it is consistent.  I always know exactly how much bandwidth I have available in both directions, so if a website or application is having issues with speed/bandwidth, I know the cause is either on their end or there is lag somewhere in the connections/hops between my ISP and the server(s) being connected to for the site/application (I actually worked with a Comcast engineer to correct such an issue once, though that was for a business connection; there was a slow/down server between my location/ISP and the server we needed to interact with and the engineer was able to track down the cause to one of their nodes and get the connection rerouted while they worked on fixing the node/server that was causing the problems).

Nope, I always forget, and besides I'm an antisocial curmudgeon anyway :P 

🤔 So what are the latest results everyone is getting with the speed? Has it gotten any better since its release?