Add 'Fix Windows Installer' to AdwCleaner

fredvries

[To avoid confusion I decided to create a seperate topic]

In AdwCleaner's 'Settings' there is a section called 'Basic Repair Actions'.

Since malware might also interfere with the Windows Installer, I would suggest to add 'Fix Windows Installer' to the 'Basic Repair Actions'.

See (for instance) here.

• Staff

Greetings,

The utilities and fixes built into ADWCleaner are not intended to be comprehensive and I'm sure they don't want to risk including anything that might be hazardous to any users' systems if used improperly and that may be the case with some of these more advanced Windows system component fixes, though I am far from an expert on the subject.

That said, I will definitely let them know about your feature request and if they see this fix as a good fit for ADWCleaner then we will likely see it integrated in a future release.

If you have any additional ideas or further feedback please don't hesitate to post again.

Thanks

• Staff

By the way, are the following resources a fairly accurate technical representation of the feature/fix you are suggesting?:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2438651/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-installer-errors
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-fix-windows-installer-in-windows-10/54fe7c17-feba-4057-8c79-d8ad06d7a755
- https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_repair_msi_(windows_installer).html

Thank you, yes those resources are quite sufficient.

Like Windows Update, Windows Installer can safely be repaired via Stop Service - Unregister Windows Installer - Reregister Windows Installer - Start Service

Fred

Edited by fredvries

@fredvries tweaking.com - window repair is a tool to fix such windows problem and to fixing most windows problem .

@exile360 the tweaking.com repair MSI tool and all others tweaking tools are no longer available because it is no longer updated . for most recent version of all tweaking tools are included in tweaking window repair tool (all-in-on)

Edited by Gt-truth

@Gt-truth I understand what you are trying to convey, but...

If you were hit by malware or adware and have cleansed your system with AdwCleaner, your computer might still have some residual issues or might behave erratically. Then you are advised to use the 'Basic Repair Actions'.

Since Malwarebytes has decided to offer some 'Basic Repair Actions' (and not all that are possible), you might end up with a visit to the forum asking for assistance. There they will probably advise you to download and run [some other program], which essentially means that AdwCleaner has a sub-par set of 'Basic Repair Actions'.

My view is that this section should be expanded to avoid unnecessary questions  in the Help sections, clogging the workload of experts and a somewhat humiliating advice to use a competing product.

• Staff
On 4/22/2020 at 11:36 AM, Gt-truth said:

@exile360 the tweaking.com repair MSI tool and all others tweaking tools are no longer available because it is no longer updated . for most recent version of all tweaking tools are included in tweaking window repair tool (all-in-on)

The repair routines which have been public/common knowledge for years (most of the fixes in Tweaking.com's tools are nothing new/original; they just compiled mostly known fixes over time into what eventually became their repair tool which is why I also linked directly to the original articles/tutorials and MS support topics as well which describe each fix in great detail such that an individual could easily write a batch script to perform the fix routines (I have a folder full of such scripts/tools which I've created, developed and compiled over the years for my own uses).  I just needed references to clearly indicate precisely what each fix/repair would require to make it easier on the Developers if they did choose to implement any of the requested fixes rather than making them do all the research.

Edited by exile360