Getting annoying message every few seconds while browsing on Chrome

I'm getting the following message every few seconds and it's becoming annoying. Not sure what I should do.

I've run scans with Malwarebytes and the threats continue to appear shortly.

Attaching an image of the pop-up message I'm getting while browsing on Chrome.

loungesrc.net.png

Hi,  
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible. 

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

The message is a Courtesy notice that the Premium Trial's  web protection is keeping the pc safe.

The "booger" item is totally EXTERNAL of your machine.  Your machine is OK.

Let the message time out & close itself.   or you can close it yourself by clicking  the small x control on that window.

Let us start out with these steps here.  Please have lots of patience.

[   1   ] 
Use Chrome browser   to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok". 

[   2   ] 
for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history" 
Check mark the line "Download history" 
Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue ) 

[   3   ] 
After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session 
Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking  the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the adress bar 
Then look deeper in SETTINGS 

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off" 

[   4   ] 
See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera. 
Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them". 
[   5   ] 
I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome. 
To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome, 

Open this link in your Chrome   browser:  

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee 

Then proceed with the setup. 

[   6    ] 
I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER. 
Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan. 
Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too! 

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system. 

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it. 
At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree. 

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner). 
Then click on Dashboard button. 
Click the blue button "Scan Now". 

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds. 
NOTE:  When it comes to the section " 
Pre-installed applications 

You can skip that. 
Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report. 
In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean". 
Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply. 

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs 
Thanks.  Keep me advised. 

4 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi,  
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible. 

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

The message is a Courtesy notice that the Premium Trial's  web protection is keeping the pc safe.

The "booger" item is totally EXTERNAL of your machine.  Your machine is OK.

Let the message time out & close itself.   or you can close it yourself by clicking  the small x control on that window.

Let us start out with these steps here.  Please have lots of patience.

[   1   ] 
Use Chrome browser   to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok". 

[   2   ] 
for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history" 
Check mark the line "Download history" 
Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue ) 

[   3   ] 
After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session 
Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking  the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the adress bar 
Then look deeper in SETTINGS 

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off" 

[   4   ] 
See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera. 
Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them". 
[   5   ] 
I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome. 
To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome, 

Open this link in your Chrome   browser:  

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee 

Then proceed with the setup. 

[   6    ] 
I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER. 
Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan. 
Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too! 

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system. 

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it. 
At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree. 

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner). 
Then click on Dashboard button. 
Click the blue button "Scan Now". 

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds. 
NOTE:  When it comes to the section " 
Pre-installed applications 

You can skip that. 
Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report. 
In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean". 
Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply. 

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs 
Thanks.  Keep me advised. 

Izzy here. Thank  you for such a detailed response, Maurice. 

I did all of the steps you mentioned and attached the file from AdwCleaner. It does seem like the problem has been solved. I haven't gotten the annoying popup since doing the steps.

Is there anything else I should do for now? Can can I prevent the same thing from happening in the future?

AdwCleaner[C02].txt

Please do not click on the "Quote" button when you begin a new reply.  You and I are the only ones on this case.   I do get notified when there is  a new reply.

Just start your text in the new Reply box, directly.

I am very glad to read that the block event has ceased.   That is awesome.

Let's just do a couple more checks.

[   1  ]

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 
The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.
The log is named MSERT.log  
the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is
C:\Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply.

[    2    ]

I would like you to do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.  One of the major goals here is to have it remove all that it detects.  If it finds anything that is.
Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.
Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Then click the Security tab.   Look for the section "Automatic Quarantine".   Be sure it is clicked On   ( to the far right side)

Then scroll down to the section Potentially Unwanted items.   We need the next 2 lines   ( for P U P  & for P U  M)  to be set to "Always ( Recommended) ".
You can make the change by clicking on the down-arrow selection list-control.   We want all P U P  &  P U M to be marked for removal.

Next, click the small x on the Settings line   to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.

Next click the blue button marked Scan.
When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very important.
Then click on Quarantine selected.    ( that is, if anything was flagged )

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Thanks for the follow up, Maurice. It seems that Malwarebytes hasn't been detecting anything new.

However, the Malware bytes extension is detecting something, I've attached a screenshot of this. It seems to be the same thing that was triggering the pop-up. I disabled the Malwarebytes extension to see what happened and the pop-up (the reason for my original post) reappears. Seems like that loungesrc.net isn't being removed?

I've done what you mentioned. I've attached the Microsoft Safety Scanner Report, the recent Malwarebytes report and the screenshot showing how the Malwarebytes Chrome extension is detecting loungesrc.net and flagging it as malicious (I believe).

Extension loungesrc.net.png

Malwarebytes report.txt msert.log

Hello.

One has to be mindful that a block notice is NOT a notice that something is on-board this machine !   There is NOT something to be removed.   The booger is out there, EXTERNAL to this machine.    The block is STOPPING any attempt to reach  "   loungesrc.net  "    ( to repeat,  that is the domain address that is being BLOCKED ....stopped.

Please re-enable the Browser Guard.

The Malwarebytes for Windows scan report result is a confirmation that this pc does not have a onboard malware.

The result from the Microsoft Safety Scanner is good.

1.  It is not that your pc is "attacked".   Lets be cautious with our terms.   This was just a web protection action by Malwarebytes.  The web protection STOPPED  anything from going to the loungersrc.net.   That is a key thing to keep in mind.  It was Halted.

A "block" notice is way different  & not the same  as the program advising when there is a actual malware.   The 2 situations are entirely different.

I have no idea why any blocks may repeat.  You must pay attention to what the browser is at /  at that moment.

Reading email ?   if so, it may be an embedded ad link in a email.

2.  When we are all done, yes, you can turn the Sync option in Chrome.

You are using the Malwarebytes for Windows in the Trial period.   After the 14th day ( from when it was installed ) the web protection will cease.   Unless you get a Premium license.

I might suggest a new scan just to see about the condition at this point.

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.
Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.
Then click the SECURITY  tab.
Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON  if it does not show a blue-color
Now click the small X  to get back to the main menu window.

Click the SCAN button.
Select a Threat Scan ( which should be the default).
When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.
Then click on Quarantine selected.

Be sure all items were removed. Then too, Repeat the scan one more time. It does not take long.
and again, be sure all detected items are removed.

Let it remove what it has detected.

Now, I will request a report from the Malwarebytes Support tool   so that I can review the details of the Malwarebytes status.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    RIGHT-click on   mb-support-1.6.0.774.exe    &  select Run as Administrator to start the tool

Reply YES to allow it to proceed when  prompted by Windows.

You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

On the Support tool,   neither one.

Please see the directions I provided from before.

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thanks for the report file.    I am curious as t whether  you have run a scan with Norton Security Ultra today.   If not, make some time and do a scan.

The last time there was a block report for "loungesrc.net" was on the 22nd.   None after that date.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you