Freezing/stuttering due to web protection module

Hello,

My computer has randomly been freezing and going into periods of time where it is stuttering to the point where I can't even use it (it started crashing my display driver yesterday). This is all remedied by turning off the real time web protection module on Malwarebytes. I've been using Malwarebytes for awhile but this is just the second time I've had this problem (the last time it was a known issue in an older version of Malwarebytes that was patched fairly quick! I think it was a memory leak back then too, this one is more of it consuming all of the CPU). I was able to run an FRST log while it was stuttering and it saved just before freezing. It's been attached to this post.

Please note that I've since turned off Windows Defender and that did not remedy the issue.

Addition_17-04-2020 13.03.32.txt FRST_17-04-2020 13.03.32.txt

Hello,

My computer has randomly been freezing and going into periods of time where it is stuttering to the point where I can't even use it (it started crashing my display driver yesterday). This is all remedied by turning off the real time web protection module on Malwarebytes. I've been using Malwarebytes for awhile but this is just the second time I've had this problem (the last time it was a known issue in an older version of Malwarebytes that was patched fairly quick! I think it was a memory leak back then too, this one is more of it consuming all of the CPU). I was able to run an FRST log while it was stuttering and it saved just before freezing. It's been attached to this post.

Please note that I've since turned off Windows Defender and that did not remedy the issue.

Sorry, initially posted this in the malware removal forum by mistake!

Addition_17-04-2020 13.03.32.txt FRST_17-04-2020 13.03.32.txt

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

@systemslowdown

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

12 minutes ago, systemslowdown said:

This is all remedied by turning off the real time web protection module on Malwarebytes.

You may have to keep it off until the issue is fixed. In the meantime, Malwarebytes can take care most of the functions of web protections at least for you supported browser.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/

But get the logs I requested and lets see if there any obvious reasons this is happening on you machine.

I have no idea.  I don't have direct access to the Developers.  As for whether or not it is urgent, that generally depends mostly on the number of users affected and the severity of the issue (i.e. BSODs/system crashes are generally highest priority in that regard, particularly if there is no workaround).  In this particular case there don't seem to be very many users/systems impacted, the issue impacts performance but doesn't crash to system or put any customer data at risk and there is a known workaround (i.e. disabling Web Protection).

That said, they may be working on the issue already for all I know.  It greatly depends on what other issues they have on their plates (for example, there are still a few lingering BSOD issues which have yet to be addressed and I'm sure those take priority), however I would recommend keeping an eye on this part of the forums for any announcements about new versions of Malwarebytes being released so that you can make certain to stay up to date on the latest build should the issue be fixed in any of the upcoming releases.

Just wanted to say that this has progressed to a BSOD. I turned it back on last night to see if anything's changed and left it on. When I started up my computer this morning and left it to do some work, I came back to a BSOD 4 hours or so later. I've turned web protection back off for now, just providing an update!

Interesting, thank you for the update.  Perhaps this issue is related to other BSOD issues that the Developers have been working on lately?  I hope so, because if so, then that means it will very likely be fixed soon in an upcoming release as they have been going through all of the crashes/BSOD issues and fixing them systematically over the past several releases and such issues tend to get the highest priority, especially when a large number of users are impacted.

@LiquidTension

Sorry about the delayed response! Didn't see your message until now. I wasn't actively doing anything at the time but yes uTorrent was running idly in the background. It was indeed component package 1.0.889. I checked to see if the issue was fixed with servative saying his issues were resolved but my computer started lagging after about 1 hour of web protection on. Unfortunately, my issue is still active!

• Root Admin

There are quite a few errors showing in the logs @systemslowdown

System errors:
=============
Error: (04/17/2020 11:24:10 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
mssmbios

Error: (04/16/2020 07:58:14 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The following fatal alert was received: 20.

Error: (04/16/2020 05:58:12 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (04/16/2020 04:57:57 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience) (EventID: 205) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The Program Compatibility Assistant service failed to perform the phase two initialization.

Error: (04/16/2020 04:57:04 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
mssmbios

Error: (04/16/2020 04:04:51 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (04/16/2020 01:32:39 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (04/16/2020 11:51:04 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
mssmbios

If you like, why don't you let me help you clean up the computer? Cannot promise we'll get rid of this issue by cleaning up but even without our program your computer is having issues according to the logs

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

Have you updated to the new version Component package 1.0.896?

In settings general check for updates.

@Porthos, Yep, I've been upgraded to the new component package already but at the time I was talking about what component package I was on when @LiquidTension was asking me about details of the BSOD.

21 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

There are quite a few errors showing in the logs @systemslowdown

System errors:
=============
Error: (04/17/2020 11:24:10 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
mssmbios

Error: (04/16/2020 07:58:14 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (04/16/2020 05:58:12 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (04/16/2020 04:57:57 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience) (EventID: 205) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The Program Compatibility Assistant service failed to perform the phase two initialization.

Error: (04/16/2020 04:57:04 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
mssmbios

Error: (04/16/2020 04:04:51 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (04/16/2020 01:32:39 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (04/16/2020 11:51:04 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
mssmbios

If you like, why don't you let me help you clean up the computer? Cannot promise we'll get rid of this issue by cleaning up but even without our program your computer is having issues according to the logs

Sure, I'd definitely appreciate it!

• Root Admin

Hello @systemslowdown

Please run the following tools and post back the requested information and we'll see about fixing up your computer.

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures and Check VirusTotal.com and Submit Unknown Images
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right-click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

image.png

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right-click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

NOTE: Due to changes from Avast please review the following installer settings

image.png

image.png

Why You Shouldn’t Download CCleaner for Windows Anymore
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

Here’s What You Should Use Instead of CCleaner
https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

Avast (CCleaner, Speccy) Privacy Policy

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks