Winter

Slow operations - Windows 10 2004

On 6/4/2020 at 10:53 AM, danull said:

I have the same MediaMonkey detection as Winter and wanted to report it in that forum you linked but the sticky only describes how to upload logs etc for prior versions of Malwarebytes and not 4.x....

I used the 3.x tips, but I agree with you - it needs to be updated.  I had to dig.  @danull - thanks for that 'report' screenshot - I'll use that in future.  In the meantime, if you're trying to adapt the instructions, you can open MBAM, then click Detection History on the left

image.thumb.png.a417b514a034816190bb97bf7f204936.png

And when you hover over a line item, one of the icons will be to download the report:

image.thumb.png.06de4ff7c5b244d0977c3e48a97a9b0a.png

Hope this helps! I may suggest this to the folks out on that thread too.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:52 AM, danull said:

Thank you!    Will come in handy in the future.    I updated MediaMonkey as well as forced an update on Malwarebytes (which had been updated yesterday) and the false positive has gone away.

@Winter  you might want to try the same?

On 6/4/2020 at 11:52 AM, danull said:

Thanks @danull! I will.  @Porthos I also see your suggestion (for this specific thread) of trying the latest Beta to see if the performance problem goes away.  I'll give that a try today.

Thank you all!  I'm certain this will eventually get resolved.

20 hours ago, ADMVMLBTS said:

@LiquidTension @Winter I have the same issue and after checking this thread decided that the intense slow down, hangs, black screens, i.e. the extremely painful experience, just isn't worth it.  It still isn't fixed, it's been going on for a while on here, I don't have time to mess about.  Off to another provider and giving up on premium Malwarebytes.  I tried to turn off the features like you did but Malware hung and crashed, it killed itself too, nice...  Uninstalling took a long time but eventually it worked through and INSTANTLY my computer came to life and MBAMService stopped trying to communicate 100TB with the internet and killing my CPU...

@ADMVMLBTS  I can understand, I'm just sorry to hear it. I currently run 10 licenses in my home (and one on my phone) and thankfully (*knock on wood*) this Surface Pro 4 is the only machine that's getting beaten up by it.  I'm a tech nerd who likes to solve problems, so I'm still holding on to my hopes.

On a side note, I came to MBAM after 10 years of being a loyal Avast! customer...their practices got pretty ugly in 2014 so I don't recommend them to anybody (even last year I ran afoul of chaos they created on a machine of mine, so I'm still in that same boat).  Best of luck to you!

Hats off to false positive support - within minutes I got a reply that they're fixing the MediaMonkey thing, and before the day was out, I had an update to MBAM and discovered a more recent update to MediaMonkey that I hadn't noticed before.

On this thread, Slow Operations, I'm still struggling. I allowed Beta, let the Beta version install, and even after reboots it slowly ground to a near-halt. Disable Malware Protection, performance improves, but then slows a bit again (just not as bad as it is when both Malware and Ransomware are enabled).  Then disable Ransomware also, and with both disabled...still running into periods of slowness or outright freezing, particularly when loading pages for the first time, opening new tabs, or accessing menus on a website.

I'm going to uninstall this with the tool again for now. When we have a version newer than the Beta or someone has a new suggestion, just let me know and I'll be glad to try it.

Okay, Windows 10 has recently made some changes to "Windows Security" (meaning "Windows Defender and all the many bolted-on features that Microsoft has been adding, like Controlled Folder Access").

One of the changes I noticed on another machine is how in Settings --> Security in MalwareBytes, I can choose Always register MalwareBytes in the Windows Security Center.

Would anyone know if that would make a difference?

46 minutes ago, Winter said:

I can choose Always register MalwareBytes in the Windows Security Center.

Would anyone know if that would make a difference?

That turns off Windows Defender.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:21 PM, Porthos said:

That turns off Windows Defender.

I wondered if it would do that. I'm not sure that would help.  On the one hand, I make sure both MBAM and Defender each are told to ignore the other, but on the other hand, that doesn't mean they're not butting heads in the background.

I'll install using the latest version and give this feature a try.  Thanks @Porthos !

On 6/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, Porthos said:

@Winter Also see here.

Please see this pinned topic
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261111-performance-issue-with-windows-10-2004/

Also, it is a good idea to Follow this pinned post at the top of the forum

Thanks for both of these!  I'll try what I mentioned above, but also pin this and keep an eye on it and if my next attempt doesn't work, just wait for more news from MalwareBytes. It looks like they're officially aware of the problem so I'm confident they can fix it eventually.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, Porthos said:

2 minutes ago, Winter said:

that doesn't mean they're not butting heads in the background.

They do not. MB does not act on a file unless it is executed or scanned.

5 minutes ago, Winter said:

I'm not sure that would help.

If you are experiencing the current issue Having Defender on or off will not help.

6 minutes ago, Winter said:

I make sure both MBAM and Defender each are told to ignore the other,

I do the same on allcomputers I service even if it is not needed just "in case".

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you