Stop it from running automatically on boot?

• Staff

There are components to the software that must run at startup in order for the software to work properly. There's no way to prevent that short of uninstalling the software.

On the other hand, if you're seeing that the Malwarebytes app is automatically launching at startup, that would either be because macOS thinks it was running when you shut down and is trying to restore the state you were in at shutdown, or you've added the app to your login items (System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items).

Thanks.

Nothing in auto Login items so I guess the Mac keeps resuming it on reboot. It keeps trying to ping telemetry.malwarebytes.com within a secure environment and I can't exit the program.

Unsure how to exit the program, I made a dirty kludge.

I renamed:

sudo mv RTProtectionDaemon RTProtectionDaemon~ in

/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes/MBAM/Engine.bundle/Contents/PlugIns/RTProtectionDaemon.app/Contents/MacOS

If I want to scan, I'll rename the binary back again.

Strange. Pi-Hole has been telling me that it has telemetry.malwarebytes.com is being blocked by one of it’s blocked lists for many months now, but hasn’t caused any issue.

Although I don’t think that the RTProtectionDaemon is directly involved in manual scans, my understanding is that it does keep the signature database up-to-date, so would need to be activated and then reboot before starting a manual scan. Not sure exactly why it must load before login, possibly just to allow multi-user use, but staff should be able to tell you if there is any other reason.

Assume you also realize that you aren’t receiving any of the Premium features provided by Malwarebytes, the most important of which is preventing  Mac virus, spyware, malware, adware infections along with identifying PUPs.

But with hundreds of background processes that must be kept running on your Mac, I can’t fathom why you would want to focus on disabling this particular one.

• Staff

Hi,

On 4/19/2020 at 8:47 AM, alvarnell said:

Although I don’t think that the RTProtectionDaemon is directly involved in manual scans

@alvarnell Yes, 'RTProtectionDaemon' is involved in manual scans.

@jago25_98 That is too much of work by renaming our daemon which may stop the functionality of program and a reinstall may be required.

You may edit host file to achieve the same goal. 

Please check > https://osxdaily.com/2007/03/19/block-access-to-specified-sites-by-modifying-etchosts/

43 minutes ago, adas said:

You may edit host file to achieve the same goal.

Perhaps, but I’m not at all clear on his exact goal here. He seems to inexplicably find background processes unacceptable.

• Staff

Apologies.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:17 AM, jago25_98 said:

It keeps trying to ping telemetry.malwarebytes.com within a secure environment and I can't exit the program.

I was trying to help in regard to telemetry.

But I strongly recommend not to make any changes to RTProtectiondaemons.

• Staff
On 4/19/2020 at 1:17 AM, jago25_98 said:

I renamed:

sudo mv RTProtectionDaemon RTProtectionDaemon~ in

/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes/MBAM/Engine.bundle/Contents/PlugIns/RTProtectionDaemon.app/Contents/MacOS

That has basically broken the software and put it into an uncertain state. It's likely that this will trigger more background activity from other Malwarebytes processes, and more logging, than if the software were allowed to run normally.

Can you share what you're trying to accomplish by doing this?