IP FILTERING S.U.C.K.S

Info:

Using a cable-Internet abo with Fiberspeed 60 Mbps (UPC Netherlands)

System: Windows XP Pro & Windows 7 both with QoS set tot 0%.

Problem:

Downloading speed propably max 58..60 Mbps but with the new IP Filtering 'ON' the max dowdloadspeed is allways limited to max. 10..11 Mbps.

Conclusion:

IP FILTER S.U.C.K.S. :)

I don't believe this. The amount of processing time needed to filter a packet is miniscule. I tried it myself using the tests at http://www.speedtest.net and I found a difference of less than 3%, smaller than the variance between tests (i.e. comparable in size to statistical noise). Now, while I agree there can be a whole host of reasons this might be different for different users (such as distance to test server, other concurrent uses of bandwidth, nonlinear scaling with total bandwidth), for a cable user if you run two tests at the same server in rapid succession, one with IP blocking on and one with it off, you should get a pretty good comparison. I am sorry, but I just don't believe you will see a factor of five difference. Please try it scientifically and show me the results.

I don't believe this. The amount of processing time needed to filter a packet is miniscule. I tried it myself using the tests at http://www.speedtest.net and I found a difference of less than 3%, smaller than the variance between tests (i.e. comparable in size to statistical noise). Now, while I agree there can be a whole host of reasons this might be different for different users (such as distance to test server, other concurrent uses of bandwidth, nonlinear scaling with total bandwidth), for a cable user if you run two tests at the same server in rapid succession, one with IP blocking on and one with it off, you should get a pretty good comparison. I am sorry, but I just don't believe you will see a factor of five difference. Please try it scientifically and show me the results.

If you don't believe me, that's your problem...

I have a degree in technical computer science and for living I am a professional programmer (IBM) with 21 years of excperience.

So don't be stupid with you simple answer B)

Before I post this problem I tested this 1000x times, same negative results.

See the two screendumps (attachements) or below...

http://www.fotobewaren.nl/foto/jb1-89306.html

http://www.fotobewaren.nl/foto/jb2-89307.html

Dream on or be wise :)

post-20785-1254065778_thumb.jpg

post-20785-1254065797_thumb.jpg

Hi,

well you can look at these :

668121.jpg

9804662.jpg

The same test gave me 333 mbps on the same server, but I have 16, in fact, so the bandwidth test may be questionnable :

7411853.jpg

Maybe your bandwidth problem is simply not everyone's problem.

You have experience, that's good. Please be polite, and note that IP filtering is a new feature, and MBAM is not officially compatible with Windows 7.

In addition, I would recommend to stop all internet activity, including network widgets, background tasks, and avast's web shield, before any tests. Emptying caches or running a first test to put everything in cache may be an option, since your first test was not so good, and the second was much better. There are lot of things to compare before being certain.

My results from speakeasy.net to Atlanta, GA server:

Without IP Protection on:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 16484 kbps (2060.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 443 kbps (55.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

With IP Protection on:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 16501 kbps (2062.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 428 kbps (53.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

No difference here!

Conclusion:

IP FILTER S.U.C.K.S. B)

Separate from the questions about whether IP Protection slows Internet connection speed, if you don't want the IP Protection to run. There are instructions here (http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21076) with options to turn the feature off permanently or manually toggle it on and off. You want the second posting in the thread by AdvancedSetup.

• Root Admin
I have a degree in technical computer science and for living I am a professional programmer (IBM) with 21 years of excperience.

So don't be stupid with you simple answer B)

Before I post this problem I tested this 1000x times, same negative results.

Well I for one don't believe you tested it 1,000 times. With an average of about a minute per test, that would take about 16+ hours to complete, so I think there is some exaggeration with that response.

We're willing to help you work on trying to resolve this but not if you wish to continue with a negative attitude so let's both agree to drop the attitude and work on the issue at hand.

It might be possible that somehow the IP Protection Module is somehow not properly binding with your network card and dropping packets. What network card are you using and what driver versions? Do you know how to use a sniffer?

Do you have any other VPN setup nativley or 3rd party software bound to the card?

Did the IP-PM popup any alerts while attempting to do this testing ?

Though slow, please try another connection from another Country if possible and see what results you get.

Thank you.

Sorry, guys but this is so boring...

So sure I have tested it with a real clean system (XP pro SP3 & Vista SP2 & Win7), and no gadgets/virus/firewall/QoS etc. B)

And I know that no single speed programs is perfect!

But all the speedtest programs on the marktet (including my exclusive provider for fiber-speedtest) give me a dramatically negative result and it's limit the bandwith dramatically!

In practice, when downloading with IP-filtering is ON than the max download is about 12 Mbps.

To all...

Sure whit a simple Cable Internet abo (16Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up), there is no problem at all.

The max. speed is then about max. 15,xxMbps/1,9xMbps. B)

But using my higer fiberspeed (60Mbps Down / 6 Mbps Up) and next month (120 Mbps Down /8 Mbps Up), there is still a big problem with this IP-Filtering option.

So I don't use the IP-Filtering option any more.