Browsers only work properly in Safe Mode after running Malwarebytes

Hi All,

I have done quite a bit of searching on this topic but can only come up with really old answers!

I was given a relative's laptop and they told me it suddenly went "wonky".  I installed and ran Malwarebytes.  The results of the scan showed 113 "PUPS".  A cursory look at the log shows a LOT of Chrome extension foolishness.   However, now none of the browsers work fully.  They will load "Google" but nothing else.  I tried waking up the administrator account and the behavior is the same.

I restarted into safe mode, and voila!  The browsers all work as expected now.

Here's what I'm using

Windows 10 ver 1909 fully patched

Firefox Ver 75.0

Chrome Version 81.0.4044.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)

A lot of the previous searches turned up a bunch of dead links and outdated advise.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

And, yes, Hacker is my REAL last name.  :-/

• Root Admin

Hello @WilliamHacker

Can you please post the scan log from the program so that we can see what was removed.

Let me also get the following set of logs.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Nothing in the log that should break a browser.

Please follow the directions from the following topic to clean up Google Chrome

Let me know if that corrects the browser issue or not

• Root Admin

Thanks @WilliamHacker

Please try the following

Step 1:  Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool but do not allow the program to reinstall after the reboot. Decline the install
Step 2; Download the Offline installer and use that to reinstall 
Step 3: Open Malwarebytes and activate the program and go to Settings, General and enable Beta updates and check for updates and restart the computer again.
Step 4: Let us know if you're still having issues or not

Hi Support,

I tried your instructions twice and no luck.

I can only surf most sites with "Web Protection" turned off.

Here are the version numbers I wound up with:

Malwarebytes Ver: 4.1.0.56;  Update Package Ver: 1.0.2284; Component Package Ver. 1.0.875

Examples of sites that cannot be reached with "Web Protection" ON:

www.cnn.com

www.adobe.com

www.usc.edu

etc.

Um, help?  I need to get this laptop back to my relative!  The good side is that there are no further detections of any PUPs or any other malware.

Bill

• Root Admin

What happens when you say it won't go to those sites?

I'm running the same version and I'm able to access those sites without an issue. What do you see or what error or alert?

• Root Admin

If it just will not work you could also try the following.

Option 1: Disable Web Protection via the tray icon

Option 2: Revert to Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and disable program updates until the next beta is available

Step 1:  Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool but do not allow the program to reinstall after the reboot. Decline the install
Step 2; Download Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and install it
Step 3: Open Malwarebytes, click the wheel image.png (top right) for Settings, General, then disable Application updates.     

image.png

Step 4: Restart the computer

Thank you

Hi Support,

I don't see any errors or alerts.  The browsers (I.E., Firefox and Chrome) will all display the URL but then nothing happens after that.  It just stalls.  

Sites like Google with minimal graphics display fine, it just seems that if the site has a lot a graphics, nothing dieplays.

Bill

Yep! If I disable Web Protection via the tray icon, everything works just fine!

One other question: does Malwarbytes not co-exist well with Sophos?  I have Sophos installed as well.  I did disable online protectioni in Sophos, but that did not help.

Bill

• Root Admin

Most users seem to be able to run it okay. As a test you could try uninstalling Sophos, Reboot and enable Web Protection in Malwarebytes and see if it still has an issue or not.

Hi Support,

Ok, here's the latest update: I left the Beta version (that you asked me to install previously) installed but I Uninstalled Sophos and viola!  Everything works just fine even with net protection turned on.  It WAS an old version of Sophos, so there's that.

Looks like we're good now.

I'm going to run a full scan and see if the results stay the same, but it looks promising.

Bill

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you