Jump to content

Malware That Can See Through Your Camera


Recommended Posts

I received an email yesterday with the hacker claiming that they have some sort of explicit footage of me which they got from gaining access to my Android Smartphone. I am just curious to know if there's any such malware exist that can actually get access to your mobile phone camera or files for that matter? 

Kindly help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @aleeam,

Technically, yes.  HOWEVER, it is very, very unlikely this is true in this case.  Are they trying to extort money from you?  It's most likely scare tactic scam to get you send money.  They bulk send out this kind of spam hoping someone will fall for it.

Nathan

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a scam that has ballooned in the past week or so, see this:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/large-email-extortion-campaign-underway-dont-panic/

Quote

A large email extortion campaign is underway telling recipients that their computer was hacked and that a video was taken through the hacked computer's webcam. The attackers then demand $1,900 in bitcoins or the video will be sent to family and friends.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @aleeam,

Technically, yes.  HOWEVER, it is very, very unlikely this is true in this case.  Are they trying to extort money from you?  It's most likely scare tactic scam to get you send money.  They bulk send out this kind of spam hoping someone will fall for it.

Nathan

Yes! They gave me a link of Bitcoin account and literally told the whole process of how to signup and transfer money on Bitcoin. For my assurance, they even send me an account of mine with password, which I think was correct, as it was a very old account of mine dormant for over 2 years now. Maybe they got hold on to the old data or something, I am not really sure. 

Yeah, but it can be a bulk spam message. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Nice catch @nukecad!  I was 99% sure it was a scam.  This takes care of the other 1% of any doubt! 😁

To be fair, I've now seen the link to bleeping was already posted in the Windows Malware Removal forum by @SPDIF about 2 hours before I posted it here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.